• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Set up around $1k, RME ADI-2 vs D90 + THX 789/887, Open to other suggestions

ReCoDe

Hi everyone, I am new to usb dac, would like to know if I would like my set up to be capable of handling sensitive iems (10-20ohms), high ohms headphones, and speakers at the same time, what dac/amp should I go for? Budget wise around $1000.

P.S. I own some cables with 4.4 jack (Used to use them with portable), they cost around $500-1000, so would like to be able to use them, if the dac/amp doesn't have a 4.4 balanced output, what could I do?

P.P.S. heard ppl mentioned that the electricity supply and the usb cable makes a difference, should I obtain them? And which brand should I go for?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone, I am new to usb dac, would like to know if I would like my set up to be capable of handling sensitive iems (10-20ohms), high ohms headphones, and speakers at the same time, what dac/amp should I go for? Budget wise around $1000.

P.S. I own some cables with 4.4 jack (Used to use them with portable), they cost around $500-1000, so would like to be able to use them, if the dac/amp doesn't have a 4.4 balanced output, what could I do?

P.P.S. heard ppl mentioned that the electricity supply and the usb cable makes a difference, should I obtain them? And which brand should I go for?
Drop 789 or monoprice 887 for amp will both make you happy and probably depends which costs less to ship if you're not US based. Just get an extension for xlr 4pin male to 4.4mm female at length you need (or just an adaptor plug)and thats you able to use your existing posh cables.. Amazon or ebay will provide. For dac, see reference tables. But with the $600 leftover from amp you're going to to spoilt for choice.

Last edited:
OP
R

ReCoDe

Thank you so much mate, so you suggest for the budget I have, I should get a THX amp and a separate dac rather than the RME ADI-2 right? For the remaining budget, what dac would you recommend other than the Topping D90? I don't mind paying a couple hundred more if there could be a significant improvement.

Tks

Major Contributor
If you care about balanced, go with the second option. If you care about basically the best featureset on an all-in-one DAC/AMP, then go for the RME (perfect timing with the new version out now).

Though you have a kilobuck wire... That should be the first thing you get rid of tbh, and then your budget can go with what I went (RME V1 + 789) but your setup would be even better (RME V2 + 887).

If that's a no go, and you want to keep the wire, then just look to getting an adapter plug. (Oh and just for the future, never ever think about taking some other single-ended cable, and try to get an adapter to get it going with balanced.. That's just asking for trouble).

Also, in terms of electrical supplies, if you're at home, that won't be needed. Especially since it looks like you want to use balanced setups, you should be perfectly fine using the power supplies that come with the DAC's/AMP's you get.

Oh btw, if you're not going to go for the RME (since it doesn't offer balanced headphone output, but it is a balanced DAC so you can use a balanced AMP with it in the future perhaps), then consider getting a Sabaj D5 perhaps, it has one of the best DAC sections ever tested on the sight, it will save you a ton of money over the D90.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now please understand, the audible difference between any of these setup's is most likely not going to be audible in the slightest (aside from volume naturally). All these devices perform spectacularly. The only actual difference is aesthetic preferences, and convenience, and connectivity, and features.

You could get something like a Topping DX7 Pro which is an amazing device, and it has the 4.4mm pentacon connector on the front of the device if you don't want to bother trying to get an adapter for you 4.4mm cable. As a DAC/AMP I think it would suit you well. The only downside, is unless you have planar headphones, anything under 60ohms, is going to start messing with the frequency response of the headphone.

Though truth be told, if you don't care about balanced, as I said in my opening statement, you could get a device that performs well, for even far more less. Some of the latest amps have also been the best performers (Geshelli Archel 2 basically the cleanest amp ever tested for under $200).

Karu

Forum Donor
Get the RME - it has great EQ and is excellent with both IEM and high ohm headphones. Why have two boxes instead of one.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you so much mate, so you suggest for the budget I have, I should get a THX amp and a separate dac rather than the RME ADI-2 right? For the remaining budget, what dac would you recommend other than the Topping D90? I don't mind paying a couple hundred more if there could be a significant improvement.
Can't speak for DACs. Believe consensus here is that from a sound perspective, either of the ones you mention are far better than necessary (and both audibly transparent) so choose based on look and features.

The RME cant run balanced headphones as balanced through its HP socket (but you could still use your 4.4mm cables with an adaptor to single ended, dead easy).

In theory, that might well be a one box solution for you, add a separate HP amp after if you feel the need.

Suspect if I was starting out again that might be the route I'd take.

OP
R

ReCoDe

If you care about balanced, go with the second option. If you care about basically the best featureset on an all-in-one DAC/AMP, then go for the RME (perfect timing with the new version out now).

Though you have a kilobuck wire... That should be the first thing you get rid of tbh, and then your budget can go with what I went (RME V1 + 789) but your setup would be even better (RME V2 + 887).

If that's a no go, and you want to keep the wire, then just look to getting an adapter plug. (Oh and just for the future, never ever think about taking some other single-ended cable, and try to get an adapter to get it going with balanced.. That's just asking for trouble).

Also, in terms of electrical supplies, if you're at home, that won't be needed. Especially since it looks like you want to use balanced setups, you should be perfectly fine using the power supplies that come with the DAC's/AMP's you get.

Oh btw, if you're not going to go for the RME (since it doesn't offer balanced headphone output, but it is a balanced DAC so you can use a balanced AMP with it in the future perhaps), then consider getting a Sabaj D5 perhaps, it has one of the best DAC sections ever tested on the sight, it will save you a ton of money over the D90.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now please understand, the audible difference between any of these setup's is most likely not going to be audible in the slightest (aside from volume naturally). All these devices perform spectacularly. The only actual difference is aesthetic preferences, and convenience, and connectivity, and features.

You could get something like a Topping DX7 Pro which is an amazing device, and it has the 4.4mm pentacon connector on the front of the device if you don't want to bother trying to get an adapter for you 4.4mm cable. As a DAC/AMP I think it would suit you well. The only downside, is unless you have planar headphones, anything under 60ohms, is going to start messing with the frequency response of the headphone.

Though truth be told, if you don't care about balanced, as I said in my opening statement, you could get a device that performs well, for even far more less. Some of the latest amps have also been the best performers (Geshelli Archel 2 basically the cleanest amp ever tested for under $200).

Thank you so much for such a detailed explanation, so all in all, if I have the budget, the RME V2 should be the one I go for? Then if needed I could add an amp in the future.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

A JDS Labs Atom headphone amp and a Topping D10 DAC can do that, where spending more could yield little or no appreciable differences in sound quality. You can gain some extra features with spending more, and then some more headphone amp power for that less than 1% of headphones that might need it. But consider whether you want to put that much money into the DAC/amp rather than spending it on headphones, speakers, or even a speaker amp.

What other gear do you have already?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you so much for such a detailed explanation, so all in all, if I have the budget, the RME V2 should be the one I go for? Then if needed I could add an amp in the future.
You should not add a separate amp to the RME, it will gain you nothing. There is a posting by @MC_RME somewhere here where he explains it in detail.

If you require balanced phone outputs there is the RME ADI-2 PRO fs which has 2 unbalanced phone outputs which can be configured as 1 balanced phone output. It also has analog inputs and an ADC (can be used as analog preamp or for recording analog sources) and therefore comes at a higher price.

OP
R

ReCoDe

A JDS Labs Atom headphone amp and a Topping D10 DAC can do that, where spending more could yield little or no appreciable differences in sound quality. You can gain some extra features with spending more, and then some more headphone amp power for that less than 1% of headphones that might need it. But consider whether you want to put that much money into the DAC/amp rather than spending it on headphones, speakers, or even a speaker amp.

What other gear do you have already?

Hi there, I only have the Campfire Atlas, JH Audio Lola, and a Sony wm1a. I noticed that usb dac seems to perform way better than portables, and I am planning to obtain some headphones and speakers, hence, I am here seeking for advice.

Since my iem cost around 1-2k, and my portable cost around 1k, I suppose I should spent around 1k for an USB dac/amp? For now I am looking for something that could handle sensitive iems, headphones, speakers, and wouldn't require an upgrade anytime soon.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since my iem cost around 1-2k, and my portable cost around 1k, I suppose I should spent around 1k for an USB dac/amp?
No. There are very good DACs and phone amps available for much less money, and if sound quality is the only criterium you need not pay much.

If there are other requirements just shop for the features under those tested good here. The RMEs are a very good choice because they combine a lot of very useful features with SOTA DAC and phone preamp in a small box, very good customer support and German build quality. But you pay for all this.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there, I only have the Campfire Atlas, JH Audio Lola, and a Sony wm1a. I noticed that usb dac seems to perform way better than portables, and I am planning to obtain some headphones and speakers, hence, I am here seeking for advice.

Since my iem cost around 1-2k, and my portable cost around 1k, I suppose I should spent around 1k for an USB dac/amp? For now I am looking for something that could handle sensitive iems, headphones, speakers, and wouldn't require an upgrade anytime soon.

I don't think it's necessary to spend that much on a DAC/amp if you are after accurate reproduction of your music. More money does not always equate with better audio quality in this hobby. You can spend more based on subjective testimonials where people make claims about how much more expensive equipment sounds better, but those are unreliable due to expectation bias and improper volume leveling during comparisons. Read this to learn more: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-we-hear.html

I would suggest getting the Topping D30 over the D10 for a few dollars more for the convenience factor of having an optical input, too. Or if you want bluetooth built into your DAC, you could get the Topping D50S. Or how about a headphone amp that has an input switch instead of having to unplug the headphones to get the speakers to play? JDS Labs EL Amp II. But those are all convenience/feature factors, not sound quality reasons.

One the other hand, that extra money could easily be useful for getting better speakers. You can always upgrade the DAC and/or headphone amp later on after you get further into this hobby and have learned more to figure out exactly what you feel you need.

evrial

I'm curious how this setup would differ from DX3Pro sound wise...

Celty

Monolith 887 + SMSL SU-8 = $580.00 vs. RME ADI-2 $1149.00? I prefer the flexibility of all the connections options and ease of future upgrade paths, and the amp power of the separates option. That also left me with $569.00 saved to put toward the more important (to me) tip of the spear - headphones.
Is the RME ADI-2 a bad choice - absolutely not! It's a wonderful option, but I went for the equivalent or better performance and bang for the buck route.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IF the the electricity supply and the usb cable make a difference in SQ, it will be very very small.

Put your budget into the transducers (and the best masterings of the music you like most). It'll keep you busy besides giving the best SQ per unit dollar.

JimmyBuckets

Monolith 887 + SMSL SU-8 = $580.00 vs. RME ADI-2 $1149.00? I prefer the flexibility of all the connections options and ease of future upgrade paths, and the amp power of the separates option. That also left me with $569.00 saved to put toward the more important (to me) tip of the spear - headphones.
Is the RME ADI-2 a bad choice - absolutely not! It's a wonderful option, but I went for the equivalent or better performance and bang for the buck route.
Maybe not important for some and I might be missing what's available on the SMSL, but would be missing out on the dsp/eq features plus all the customization options. I do like the cross feed option for some recordings also.

Top Bottom