• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Set of SMSL50 as multichannel power amp?

Ongii

Dear All,

looking at the prices of multichannel power amplifier, I was asking myself why not stacking 4 SMSL amps (as I already own one) to create a power amp.
Major drawback I see at the moment would be the mess of 4 power supplies and related cabling...

Or am I simplifying too much my very question? Do "real" power amplifiers implement some kind of control to ensure signal is processed concurrently, for example?

Thanks for your feedback!

Ongii

PS
If you aware of a kit or similar, already implementing what I have in mind... let me know please

OP
Ongii

Ongii

Hi ppataki,
I know that it works. I was questioning myself if I could create a low cost power amp , by joining several low cost (and high value IMHO) amps like the SMSL.
For example I would be needing a power supply 24v/5a with 4 output sockets

OP
Ongii

Ongii

OK.
Can someone explain me why if 1 SMSL amp costs around 50€, there's no 8 channel amp for 200€?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a particular demand for 8ch amps? This one looks fantastic! :)

Maybe whole home distribution or some pro amps.....

kipman725

Yes this will work fine, the only thing you may need to worry about is that the gain of each amplifier may not be matched at the same volume knob position. However it's very easy to feed all the amps the same signal and adjust the volumes until you get the same output voltage to match. As an example of a more expensive 8 channel amp that at least from the specifications is very hi-fi check out https://linea-research.co.uk/ .

kipman725

Is there a particular demand for 8ch amps? This one looks fantastic! :)

Maybe whole home distribution or some pro amps.....

I run 7 amp channels just for stereo speakers and subs in my living room because I'm using a DSP crossover. If you where doing surround sound with active crossovers you could end up needing a very large number of channels. Using a DSP for crossover is great as you can correct irregularities in the drive units frequency responses and use steep crossover filters that would be impractical using passive components. You can also do things like time alignment that aren't posible with passive components.

OP
Ongii

Ongii

Wel, finally no one could tell me why there aren't affordable products in the multichannel domain like the SMSL 50 is in the stereo domain.:(

OP
Ongii

Ongii

size of market, I'm working on it though!
Please let me know. If not in this thread, then via private message.

I just thought about buying further 3 SMSLs (2x50w each). Adding a Power supply like the Meanwell LRS 350-24 (350w, at 24v) to power them all together.
I would then put all of them at max gain and , voilà, I would have a great 8 channel class D amp.

What do you think? Am I crazy?

kipman725

My design will be a few months still until I'm past the prototyping phase and will be a 8*500W (4ohm) amplifier with integrated DSP designed to run from 30 - 68V. This kind of setup with multiple stereo amps is very typical in pro audio where a a rack full of amps is driven from a loudspeaker management unit (see old picture of my rack).

Attachments

• AmpRack.jpeg
    AmpRack.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 91
Top Bottom