• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Server Advice for running Roon

Gellie

Looking to purchase a dedicated server to run Roon and dismount ny external HD from my iMac.
Is there a significant advantage to using Nucleus or SonicTransporter vs a MacMini(with 16Gb of Ran and 2tb SSD I5 chip)? The Mini(used is a fraction of the price of the former.

onion

I don't know about the Nucleus or SonicTransporter, but a Mac mini works great as the core for me (i3, 16Gb); that includes storing music on a separate NAS connected by ethernet

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
I am using a qnap nas server (ts 673) for roon server and it works great.

KarVi71

When I tried Roon for the 1 month trial period, I ran it of an old desktop PC, that I have converted into a NAS.

On this older computer it ran absolutely fine, and without problems.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
MacMini 2014 as Roon Server.

Other computers as Roon Bridge (old MAcBookPro; couple of old Win7Pro machines).

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just replied to another thread where a guy wanted advice setting up a NUC for a steamer. I use a 2012 Mac Mini for Roon Core/Plex video server with no problems at all. But there's a really nice AOPEN MP67-D (i5 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, DVD, 250GB HDD Win10Pro) on eBay right now for $90 which would do it all too. Small form factor like a NUC. I'm not the seller but recently purchased one just like it from same seller and set it up for a friend to do just what you're looking to do.

Attachments

• MP67-D.jpg
    MP67-D.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 102

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A 2012 mac mini with the i7 chip is readily found used for $300 and works extremely well as a roon server.

Top Bottom