• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seriously, does Heavy Metal ever sound better on better speakers?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oooh. Here's another good metal song to show off a good set of speakers. This recording isn't great but a good recording on a good set of speakers will make you feel like the kick drum is hitting your ear drums directly.

NDC

Tool- Fear Innoculum.

I played this for a couple of 20-somethings we had over for dinner the other night. They were... astonished.

Been giving this a spin lately - very enjoyable.

One thing that's driving me crazy though - listening on Tidal to Pneuma in hifi quality, at about 1 min 22 and 1 min 26s. I can hear a slight crackle on the guitar. At first I thought it was mobile interference on my end, but it appears like it's in the recording because it happens repeatedly at those same points. Can anyone else hear this?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
There are people on this site who are such productive contributing members most of the time, but something comes up and they can't help but disrespect everyone else for no reason. It really grates on me. You don't get it? Cool. Move on and stop wasting everyone else's time with your ignorance.

Touchy.

win

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

are you saying you have a remaster if this? Wondering because I always thought that was one of the best mixed albums of all time

dasdoing

Major Contributor
With vinyl you either get loudness or you get low end, not both.

you can, but you wont fit 45min. loudness requires wider grooves, bass requires more space between them (because bass is "the curves")

8_22.jpg

One thing that's driving me crazy though - listening on Tidal to Pneuma in hifi quality, at about 1 min 22 and 1 min 26s. I can hear a slight crackle on the guitar. At first I thought it was mobile interference on my end, but it appears like it's in the recording because it happens repeatedly at those same points. Can anyone else hear this?

not sure what you are talking about. but shit happens to the best sound engeniers. ever since I was a kid I was annoyed by the terrible (microphone falling?) sound in MJ's Wanna Be Starting Something at 4min12s. How did something like this pass? lol

JIW

are you saying you have a remaster if this? Wondering because I always thought that was one of the best mixed albums of all time

There was one made by Vlado Meller for a 20th anniversary edition in 2012. It is a fair bit more compressed (DR6) than the original (DR9). Examples (with YouTube's loudness compensation)
Original Master
Remaster

Original Master
Remaster

Another one was made by Steve Hoffman for hybrid SACD in 2016 (both CD layer and SACD layer DR11).

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Yep. It's in the recording.

A few more details - I first heard it a few months ago after downloading a hi-res version of the album. But I've listened to other versions as well to confirm that its in the recording and not related to the format.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the interests of contributing something positive, I'm going to post some metal tracks that are well regarded music - but I'm going to handicap myself and post strictly music released from 2000 onwards. I'm also going to skip posting covers. Not going for strictly audiophile, max DR recordings here though, and trying to get a good range of material. Really, just tracks I like. Tool's already been shared so I'll skip that one. As always, YT may provide comparatively meh quality.

Thanks. The Dream Theater A Dramatic Turn of Events ended up being added my album and listening list.

Separately, this is the first audio forum (or board) that doesn't just poo poo listening to rock or metal. I can't tell you the number of times I would bring a rock or metal album as part of my demo CD's when looking at equipment at a dealer to get sideways looks and questions of "why are you using that to demo". The answer was always the same, "because that is what I listen to."

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oooh. Here's another good metal song to show off a good set of speakers. This recording isn't great but a good recording on a good set of speakers will make you feel like the kick drum is hitting your ear drums directly.

LEMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIP.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to add to the list. Anna Von Hausswolff. Metal meets a pipe organ and well mixed.

dc655321

Major Contributor

You caught that but not the crackle/clipping/saturation at 8:49-9:20?

NDC

You caught that but not the crackle/clipping/saturation at 8:49-9:20?

Not quite sure what this comment adds tbh.

Back closer on topic, another great test track is Eyrie by Ne Obliviscaris. Great band in general.

Gabs

Since I was a kid I Metal Battle with my brother. So right now I'm preparing for you :)

Gabs

At first I did not like the recording, but the more I listened to it and the more I understood its analytic nature :
Edit : the wall of ound of Devin Tonsend is also to dig to test a system, for sure :
Edit 2 : but digging in the more recent bands maybe could be better
Edit 3 :
EDIT4 : french stuff
EDIT5 : another french metal band
EDIT6 : proper japanese heavy metal
EDIT7 : one of the best korean one

Last edited:
OP
E

ehabheikal

Ok i tried qobuz which has new re-releases of ac/dc and they are recorded at 96/24 and they are good. I searched a bit and yes there are some good recordings of metal which sound relatively good.

Top Bottom