• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seriously, Another MQA Thread Killed by the Mods!

Should All MQA Discussions be Banned on ASR?

• Yes

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 82.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TurbulentCalm

Seriously guys what harm is there discussing the various issues with the MQA protocol? Are we breaking the forums rules? After all this isn’t the very stuff that Audio Science Review should be encouraging, I would think.

Maybe the members of this forum should be allowed to comment on this rather arbitrary decision to ban all MQA specific threads.

Personally I’m very disappointed to see this on the forum, I hope other controversial subjects, relevant to this site, won’t get put in the ban list.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree. This is not healty

gene_stl

Forum Donor
That someone "likes" MQA is a preference and an opinion. If you spent your money on MQA magic beans please don''t try to tell me you have grown a magic beanstalk. If you like MQA knock yourself out. But lets not waste any more time talking about "how great it is, no it isn't"!

If anybody has new (ACTUAL) facts or light to shed on the arguments I would be pleased to hear them.

I support our moderators. Most members of this forum are very civil. But we all sometimes get hot about this or that subject and can use a little external moderation and perspective. The only one who gets to say whatever he wants whenever he wants is Amir.:)

Last edited:
OP
TurbulentCalm

TurbulentCalm

I like to think because this is how every MQA discussion turns out lately:

That’s because it of interest to many of us on this forum but it also attracts a smaller group that appears to become rabid trolls when MQA is concerned. And I’m not talking about humorous posts here but the genuine attacks on other members because of the particular position.

Slamming the doors shut on these threads, just because of the actions of the minority, is no better than the school teacher holding the class in after the bell because of the actions of one student.

If some members don’t like MQA then the old saying is relevant, they don’t have to read it.

In my opinion the Mods should stick to policing Posts. Not banning the discussion of MQA outright as has now appears to be the case.

OP
TurbulentCalm

TurbulentCalm

That someone "likes" MQA is a preference and an opinion. If you spent your money on MQA magic beans please don''t try to tell me you have grown a magic beanstalk. If you like MQA knock yourself out. But lets not waste any more time talking about "how great it is, no it isn't"!

If anybody has new (ACTUAL) facts or light to shed on the arguments I would be pleased to hear them

Why? We can’t discuss something because you don’t like it?

I hate everything to do with Vinyl, should I expect that Vinyl be banned as well?

gene_stl

Forum Donor
It seems a lot of people here really don't like MQA and think that its a fraud.

Vinyl is not a fraud. Probably few here opine that its better than digital. But its various utilities are not questioned seriously. It is not a DRM/Extortion scheme masquerading as something entirely different.

I was not the one who banned MQA discussions but I generally agree with the decision.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The average MQA discussion is of low quality, and the participants will then apply that standard of discussion to other topics. Criticizing Michael Fremer or Wilson Audio is also not of interest to the sort of people who define what is best about ASR. I favor moderators using their judgement to cull repetitive threads which seek to inflame, shame or flatter ignorant opinions.

ASR is at its best when it discusses data, and when it attracts knowledgeable people to explain complex topics to consumers. If it turns into an ordinary audiophile forum it will be very ordinary and very bad.

I'm not aware of any controversial 'data' on MQA. It is a lossy storage format with DRM. I'm aware of plenty of controversial opinions about it. Opinions of random people on the internet are not valuable. They are unconvincing. It is rare for someone who dislikes MQA to agree that it is good after reading a thread about it, and someone who has invested in MQA equipment is unlikely to get rid of it when they see opinions about how bad it is.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was disappointed that Stereophile/Fremer/Wilson thread was killed and erased. It is said how little moderation is used but it does not seem so. It discourages me from further posting.

it was erased??

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it was erased??

It's said that a thread dies two deaths; the first when it is closed for new comments, and the second when it is mentioned for the last time.

bboris77

For me, the main purpose of these forums is for consumers to connect with audio experts (engineers and enthusiasts) who use scientific methods and equipment to dispel false audiophile claims that capitalize on the ignorance of your average Joe. @GoldenOne is one of these audio enthusiasts that has a certain degree of expertise and has performed an in-depth research into MQA's claims and practices. This research has shown that MQA seems to utilize questionable tactics when it comes to their marketing claims.

This type of discussion totally fits within the modus operandi of this forum which is to expose these false claims and marketing myths to educate and protect consumers. Ideal outcome of all this would be MQA modifying their marketing to better reflect the true nature and inherent benefits of their technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom