• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

QMuse

Major Contributor
My question is whether this increases the ringing of frequencies beyond what an equivalent minimum phase boost to the FR would do or not.

In case of very low damping factor and very heavy membrane I would say it does.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But only frequencies where the speakersystem (resonance frequency) is present (impedance elevated). 1kHz or tweeter ringing, if present, with just very slight increase in speaker impedance won't be damped better. Only the lower frequencies. For ported designs the resonance frequency is mostly damped acoustically. At that point one also sees the impedance hump is dipped to almost DC resistance.

While interesting subject... this thread is about DAC and sound signatures.
Perhaps create a new thread about damping factor or post/read in this thread?

Last edited:

hyperplanar

But only frequencies where the speakersystem (resonance frequency) is present (impedance elevated). 1kHz or tweeter ringing, if present, with just very slight increase in speaker impedance won't be damped better. Only the lower frequencies. For ported designs the resonance frequency is mostly damped acoustically. At that point one also sees the impedance hump is dipped to almost DC resistance.

You’re right, apologies for getting off-topic! Thanks for the link, I think it answered my question.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Is there anything that is on topic that could be said in this thread not already covered at least 16 times?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am surprised the thread became this long anyway.

It could have ended by simply replying to those that make certain claims with just the famous: 'uh-huh'

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am surprised the thread became this long anyway.

It could have ended by simply replying to those that make certain claims with just the famous: 'uh-huh'

It seems also to have become a "Should I? ", "I want to buy X" dump too. Hence , folks here being terrifically helpful, the endless loop of "but I read that X DAC is [insert subjective opinion]"

QMuse

Major Contributor
Eh, what to say.. :D:D

Let me explain in more detail how I see it: my Android Phone self learning AI spelling checker seemed to develop a mind of it's own. Most of the time it is doing a really good job in helping me translate my thoughts to English, but sometimes.. Anyway, I have learn to accept it and live with it. :D

Objectivist01

Who put the 'psycho' in psychoacoustics?
it makes sense, as it’s perceived acoustics as opposed to physical world acoustics. Has to do with mind, hence psycho acoustics. Wise men design their devices To get the right numbers of what is perceivable.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But, what if I listen to a device and like it despite the fact that it measures poorly ?
Am I wrong picking that up instead fo the one offering better measures but that I did not liked when I performed subjective listening tests ?
Great as far as I’m concerned. It’s what I do when I prefer my Harbeths to speakers with better measured dispersion.

What I try not to do is insist that I have golden ears, or that the measurements don’t matter or can’t capture everything.

In a world where we can’t listen to every piece of equipment (let alone at home), using measurements as a guide, correlating them to the things I *have* heard, and questioning things they suggest I only thought I heard, also helps me make the most of my $ as a consumer.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Who put the 'psycho' in psychoacoustics?
Norman Bates

Top Bottom