• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
At some point however, the numbers will be so small that the profit motivation will disappear as well... just like my beloved clutch pedal.
Say it ain't so Joe. :( But true none the less. When I bought my pickup in 2006 I had to search far and wide to find any manual trans models. As far as I know, in gas trucks they all disappeared in 2008.
Lazy a-ss people.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Say it ain't so Joe. :( But true none the less. When I bought my pickup in 2006 I had to search far and wide to find any manual trans models. As far as I know, in gas trucks they all disappeared in 2008.
Lazy a-ss people.

Fortunately manual transmissions are still very much the norm in Europe.

Willem

Major Contributor
Fortunately manual transmissions are still very much the norm in Europe.
Though also declining in numbers, particularly for larger and more powerful cars. My first car was a big US car with a V8 and, of course, an automatic gear box. I loved it, and when back in Europe decided to never have a manual gearbox. The only disadvantage of that decision is that I have forgotten how to shift, which is inconvenient when you have to rent a car. Anyway, all electrical cars do not need gearboxes.
Anyway, I am more interested in the 14 speed manual gearbox (hubgear) on my touring bicycle, a true marvel of German engineering (google Rohloff).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Anyway, I am more interested in the 14 speed manual gearbox (hubgear) on my touring bicycle,
Bicycles are fun but a maintenance PITA, you have to keep replacing the playing cards rubbing the spokes so they can make some noise.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
N

nhatlam96

Is there an article somewhere that proves, that amps or dacs have no sound signature?
Has anyone successfully conducted a proper blind test, which is still relevant to this day?

N

nhatlam96

Some amps and some DACs do have a sound signature.
I always read that (solid state) amps and dacs dont colour the sound. I also read that there is no audible difference between amps or dacs. I would like to see an article, where someone did a blind test to proof that.

Last edited by a moderator:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I always read that (solid state) amps and dacs dont colour the sound. I would like to see an article, where someone did a blind test to proof that.

It's more that the differences between their outputs, which is the only thing that could go into any sound signature, are close enough that differentiating between two amps or DAC's of comparable specs within design limits is going to be effectively impossible.

When the 'coloring' is below a certain level, it isn't going to be discernable.

It's not about an article that proves it. It's about a lack of (controlled) evidence to the contrary.

So far, not a single soul has come in this forum and demonstrated otherwise, despite a mountain of claims of how even the wives in the kitchen could hear the difference... Just don't ask them to do it when they can't peek.

Alpha waves or something.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
N

nhatlam96

From another post regarding the audibility of different amplifier speakers:
This is fantastic, it's exactly what I was looking for and it's not some old article! Are there any more articles like this? Maybe about headphone amps or dacs?

Last edited by a moderator:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some amps and some DACs do have a sound signature. So you might want to qualify what it is you're looking for.

Then I recently decided to start compiling elsewhere, but haven't gotten too far-

http://andrewhofer.com/blog/2020/11/10/blind-listening-tests-introduction/

You'll find there are lots of dead links when you start clicking through any of these. For DACs, I suggest you look at Archimago. He's run all kinds of DAC and resolution tests.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/search?q=DAC

Top Bottom