• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Vini, you'd be shocked at how bad humans are at detecting separation differences. To put it in perspective, a good phono cartridge will likely have -25dB or so of crosstalk, deteriorating badly at high frequencies, yet people rave about the imaging and wall-to-wall soundstage...

Rusty Shackleford

I’ve been searching the AES library and have been unable to find any, so I thought I’d ask here: Have there been any academic-level blind tests of DACs published, particularly ones that use both trained and untrained listeners?

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve been searching the AES library and have been unable to find any, so I thought I’d ask here: Have there been any academic-level blind tests of DACs published, particularly ones that use both trained and untrained listeners?

Does “blind” even mean anything? You just get an opinion matrix out of that.

Perhaps a more objective test, still blind...but something like “tell us if you can hear a glass breaking in the background of this music” (you mix in, or not, that sound at progressively louder levels until detected) would allow an objective assessment of whether there is or not any significant difference between two?

I have doubts that the DAC differences matter. I think you are limited first by your listening room and second by your speakers...and both of those have gigantically more impact than which DAC.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
No AES member so don't know.

Is such a test important ?
It is essential to know who the participants were and what their level of training was and what the difference was with 'average' people.
What other equipment should be used and why ?
What DACs would have to be used and why would these be chosen ?
What would be the reason to perform such tests with what DAC's ?
Why would this have to be done at an academic level ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Perhaps a more objective test, still blind...but something like “tell us if you can hear a glass breaking in the background of this music”

Dire Straits, Private investigations.

Rusty Shackleford

No AES member so don't know.

Is such a test important ?
It is essential to know who the participants were and what their level of training was and what the difference was with 'average' people.
What other equipment should be used and why ?
What DACs would have to be used and why would these be chosen ?
What would be the reason to perform such tests with what DAC's ?
Why would this have to be done at an academic level ?

It seems important to the question of if differences between DACs are audible.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me that seems a bit like proving pigs cannot fly by dropping them from a rooftop. But it would be nice if we could all point to a rigorous, peer-reviewed, published article that did investigate this question.
To @solderdude point, how would one test this?
Would you have TEC vs non-TEC listeners try to identify 2 different amps under DBT conditions that are both very high SINAD and audibly transparent? Maybe you would use the same DAC, play sound from the DAC 2x, and ask listeners if they hear the same DAC or different DACs?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DBTs are important to us b/c they can identify what differences in SINAD are at the JND level.

That would allow confident use of a SINAD level to screen out electronics.

I'd start with an amp or pre-amp tho - and pick a top one vs. a yellow level.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It seems important to the question of if differences between DACs are audible.

They will be between certain DACs for sure. They won't be between DACs that measure quite similarly/below thresholds. Not all DACs sound the same which can be proven with proper blind tests. Most DACs will be indistinguishable when properly tested blind though.
It is not that 'we' claim all DACs sound the same.

Theriverlethe

They will be between certain DACs for sure. They won't be between DACs that measure quite similarly/below thresholds. Not all DACs sound the same which can be proven with proper blind tests. Most DACs will be indistinguishable when properly tested blind though.

Can you name a couple DAC’s that might reach audible thresholds of distortion?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you name a couple DAC’s that might reach audible thresholds of distortion?

Drop Airist R2R? I've not heard it. But those measurements must be audible? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/massdrop-airist-r2r-dac-review.9565/

Now, audible distortion doesnt necessarily translate to "sounds bad" as we all know.

I'd love to blind test that and a DAC at the other end of the SINAD charts and see if I could spot it. Got to think trained ears would have a chance, even if mere mortals (like me) dont.

EDIT- and if no one could pick it as "different" in a proper test, we all ought to pack it in right now and give it all up as a bad job.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I think the question is whether there should be a DBT peer-reviewed published journal article testing this, for the sake of providing the best way to "...deal with people thinking a DAC has a SOUND SIGNATURE." I for one would like to be able to simply say, "read this" and link to said article.

Theriverlethe

Drop Airist R2R? I've not heard it. But those measurements must be audible? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/massdrop-airist-r2r-dac-review.9565/

Now, audible distortion doesnt necessarily translate to "sounds bad" as we all know.

I'd love to blind test that and a DAC at the other end of the SINAD charts and see if I could spot it. Got to think trained ears would have a chance, even if mere mortals (like me) dont.

EDIT- and if no one could pick it as "different" in a proper test, we all ought to pack it in right now and give it all up as a bad job.

The Airist might work. Looks like Amazon makes a $15 DAC now. I’m half-inclined to buy one and send it to Amir for testing.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Airist might work. Looks like Amazon makes a $15 DAC now. I’m half-inclined to buy one and send it to Amir for testing.
It will "beat" the airist.

Rusty Shackleford

I was thinking something more like: Lots of people on GearSlutz, etc. claim to hear clear difference between DACs that “shouldn’t” sound different. Some of those people have even set up their own blind tests, but those tests are usually rejected by skeptics, fairly or not.

It would certainly be interesting if those people could bring the two DACs they think sound different into a controlled environment for a DBT. I’m sure if it were done someplace like L.A., there would be enough people willing to participate.

Top Bottom