• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Atomicbob is my choice of pure science, emotionless cold. I don’t like that S board he stayed on, though. You guys are too emotional compared with him.

Exactly wrong ! SoupyFirstEquestrian-size_restricted.gif

chris0202

This is Audio Science Review not Audio Opinion Review.

I figured you are not from English speaking country. This is from dictionary, linguistics evidence, which is social science.

So officially, you can call it Audio Opinion Review, as long as you are clear by definition.

definition of opinion.PNG

Have you ever thought about why I post after all? Never mind, you don't need me in your life. This is my last post to you.

chris0202

Maybe, but he won't even say that out. I have rarely saw him engaged in anything, he will just post link to his length write-ups I cannot get any ideas about what message he was trying to convey.

Yours, however, are very straight forward and super easy to read. And you even care to post a picture to help understanding it. I believe people in real life generally like your type more. You are indeed a nice guy, despite I don't get along with you. I won't talk shit about you elsewhere.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe, but he won't even say that out. I have rarely saw him engaged in anything, he will just post link to his length write-ups I cannot get any ideas about what message he was trying to convey.

Yours, however, are very straight forward and super easy to read. And you even care to post a picture to help understanding it. I believe people in real life generally like your type more. You are indeed a nice guy, despite I don't get along with you. I won't talk shit about you elsewhere.

No offence , but I'm just posting frivolities, not trying to engage you in technical discussion. Thats easy. Seems like your technical standpoint is at odds to a few on here. I'd suggest either taking what they say on board, or backing away from that discussion if you have reached an impasse.

Have a night off, calm the melodrama, lighten up. Sleep safe in the knowledge you know massively more than me and many others here, but not more than some.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That depends on your prospective. If they ended up being happy, what’s wrong then? Extreme case, do you have to make a cancer patient accept he has zero hope left, and get prepared properly face near death? One of my acquaintances’ aunt got cancer 10 years back, depressed for quite a while, but later devoted to Buddhism. Then her altitude changed positively, and actually got a lot better and even survived the cancer....

Think in place of a budget-tight buyer, or a mid-range buyer without satisfying choice.
I am so triggered right now. Please someone un-trigger me.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I am so triggered right now. Please someone un-trigger me.

Not worth getting upset by ignorance...there's too much of it around for that.
Makes me appreciate the forum even more.
Have pity, not anger.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not worth getting upset by ignorance...there's too much of it around for that.
Makes me appreciate the forum even more.
Have pity, not anger.

Appreciate ya, especially with the riots 1/4 mile away from me. On another note, on head-fi I was asking for amp recommendations to pair with the Aeon 2 Open, and a poster remarked, "Amps and DACs are not only about specs but about sound they can produce."

I wrote, "Currently, I believe the measurements of DAC/AMPs are the most significant factor that determine how a device sounds so I'm leaning towards the Topping, but I do appreciate that there are different schools of thought on this."

Didn't get a response.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate ya, especially with the riots 1/4 mile away from me. On another note, on head-fi I was asking for amp recommendations to pair with the Aeon 2 Open, and a poster remarked, "Amps and DACs are not only about specs but about sound they can produce."

I wrote, "Currently, I believe the measurements of DAC/AMPs are the most significant factor that determine how a device sounds so I'm leaning towards the Topping, but I do appreciate that there are different schools of thought on this."

Didn't get a response.
You are probably toeing the line with a possible ban on head-fi with that post.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Appreciate ya, especially with the riots 1/4 mile away from me.

Stay safe... There a real problems out there...this is entertainment.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Atomicbob is my choice of pure science, emotionless cold. I don’t like that S board he stayed on, though. You guys are too emotional compared with him.

I have been in contact with Bob a few times... you are totally wrong about him. He is anything but emotionless cold.
I like the S board actually, they can provide me with a good laugh now and then. There are some misguided folks there though, but also some really nice and helpful people. A bit like this place but very very different.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
"Amps and DACs are not only about specs but about sound they can produce."

He is right, transformer hum or coil whine from SMPS is annoying when it reaches audible levels. Also the sound they produce when hitting the floor from about 1m height differs substantially.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been in contact with Bob a few times... you are totally wrong about him. He is anything but emotionless cold.
I like the S board actually, they can provide me with a good laugh now and then. There are some misguided folks there though, but also some really nice and helpful people. A bit like this place but very very different.

SBAF is plenty useful if you stay in the headphone measurement and modding threads.

Just keep your head down when people start talking about a DAC's sound signature. :eek:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have an example of a cheap, older DAC that introduces enough distortion for an obvious "sound signature" ? I think it would be interesting to pick one up and see how it sounds.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have an example of a cheap, older DAC that introduces enough distortion for an obvious "sound signature" ? I think it would be interesting to pick one up and see how it sounds.

You can find plenty of ultra cheap modern ones which have a high enough noise floor to be easily noticed with sensitive IEMs.

Top Bottom