• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Washing them re-invigorates their inner "chi".

Special black paint makes them faster....

What is the auto equivalent of audiophoolery?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I know especially if you don't wash them, I never got into blow drying my car.

I was out two nights ago with a buddy of mine who's in town for a few days. I picked him up at the hotel, drove over to a brewpub, and I couldn't get him off the topic of my car's dirt level. He insisted that we go to a carwash. I pointed out that the dirt was likely the only thing holding it together.

It really bothered him. I don't get it, I use the car outside, and it's a transportation conveyance. What's the point?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the auto equivalent of audiophoolery?

Fuel additives. A lot of tuning products. Magnets that improve fuel economy...

1roger

What I'm reading is that you don't understand "Digital" while requiring the use of "digital" to express your thoughts, IE: Trolling.

can you be more specific? as I understand measurement results well, this isn`t rocket science robin. and I doubt anyone here design microchips for a living

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
can you be more specific? as I understand measurement results well, this isn`t rocket science robin. and I doubt anyone here design microchips for a living

You're not only wrong again, one of the participants is a legendary microchip designer.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Fuel additives. A lot of tuning products. Magnets that improve fuel economy...
A certain VIP Wiccan's statement that a particular spell would improve carburetor performance [no, I did not make that up].

Robin L

Master Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You're not only wrong again, one of the participants is a legendary microchip designer.

giphy (1).gif

This guy really isnt doing very well here.

Nobody in this thread works in audio/ consumer electrics/ digital / micro processing/recording apparently. He has been wrong an pretty much every count.

Now , I know I absolutely know nothing, that I can promise. But I've got a pretty good nose for bullshit. Or someone on a wind up.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This guy really isnt doing very well here.

Nobody in this thread works in audio/ consumer electrics/ digital / micro processing/recording apparently. He has been wrong an pretty much every count.

Now , I know I absolutely know nothing, that I can promise. But I've got a pretty good nose for bullshit. Or someone on a wind up.

It's a pity that we don't have top chip designers, experts in metrology, sensory scientists, high performance DAC designers, the biggest names in loudspeaker testing and audio codecs, professional audio reviewers, and the developer of the audio system in Microsoft OS on this forum.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a pity that we don't have top chip designers, experts in metrology, sensory scientists, high performance DAC designers, the biggest names in loudspeaker testing and audio codecs, professional audio reviewers, and the developer of the audio system in Microsoft OS on this forum.

I was going to ask what the weather man brought to the table, but I re-read! :rolleyes:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
1. The OP (thread starter) is referring to DAC as the full device...part and implementation. And not the DAC, the part only, like from Burr-Brown, Wolfson, Cirrus Logic, ESS, AKM, Sakamamoto, etc.

2. It's about the implementation in combination in synchronisation @ the analog stage output. Some DACs are better than others...better implementation with superior parts (hand picked) and cleaner (less debris, jitter, ambient noise, ...).

3. You don't need a big caliber machine gun to hear the various sound signatures.
And you don't need to spend only fifty bucks to invest in the best; you can spend much much more for more or less depending of your ear's preference and common sense (fair balance between judgement, hearing and measurement) ⚖

The scale of the sound signature will weight with all the ingredients working together.
No guns needed, gold bricks are sufficient (hit your head with one and you'll hear what sound signature it has).

We have to be serious, we need to be serious, it is required that we behave as serious gentlemen. This is no joke, I take my DACs very seriously. Trolls can go play in the children sandboxes with their Tonka trucks ⛟

☯️ https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/884737-all-dacs-sound-same.html

P.S. How do you spell "throll", with or without an "h"¿

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Actually , he is right on one count. It isn't rocket science. But I would hazard a guess there is probably at least one member with a background in aeronautics / jet propulsion etc. Only got 10khz of hearing of course. They're just hear for the bonhomie and bar snacks.

Top Bottom