• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiogon is having a normal

DACs have a unique job to do that is not required of any other component. And which is impossible to achieve. The DAC has to reassemble accurately the analogue signal that has been smashed into billions of small pieces when converted to digital. No DAC can do this with total accuracy in the time domain. It is possible to spend $50,000 or more trying to do a job that would be unnecessary if the signal remained analogue. In general, more expensive DACs will give results nearer to the analogue signal.

The sheer BS tonnage on that site is extraordinary. All doled out with a condescending tone of expertise.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

"More expensive sounds better" No surprises.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Do those fools really believe that vinyl or tape exhibit 'total accuracy' in the time domain?
Yes, but they do not say which time domain. Using the multiverse theory, what they say may be true in another dimension from ours. So, since it might possibly be true in different a universe time line, they run with it. Anything can be rationalized if you try hard enough. Well, and believe BS.

Last edited:

VQR

The sheer BS tonnage on that site is extraordinary. All doled out with a condescending tone of expertise.
See, unlike digital, magnetic tape and plastic discs have infinite temporal resolution. That's why tape decks and turntables have infinitely better wow and flutter compared to digital's disgusting jitter.

Please excuse me bandage as I my aneurysm brain.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do those fools really believe that vinyl or tape exhibit 'total accuracy' in the time domain?
Setting aside the non-linear aspects, frequency response, and daily deterioration of tape (from both time alone and from running over playback heads), it always amazes me that audiophiles are certain that they can hear potential effects 100 dB down from the playing level if it's digital, yet tape print-through is of no concern whatsoever. :p

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Setting aside the non-linear aspects, frequency response, and daily deterioration of tape (from both time alone and from running over playback heads), it always amazes me that audiophiles are certain that they can hear potential effects 100 dB down from the playing level if it's digital, yet tape print-through is of no concern whatsoever. :p
Obviously, we can't hope to hear as well as they do.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotta think the condescension is mostly synthetic to rile people up.

DonR

Major Contributor
Gotta think the condescension is mostly synthetic to rile people up.
Well... of course someone with limited experience might think that but such an assumption would be simplistic. It is clearly far too complicated to explain to anyone of... lesser education, you see?

/s (jic)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... of course someone with limited experience might think that but such an assumption would be simplistic. It is clearly far too complicated to explain to anyone of... lesser education, you see?

/s (jic)
Hey!!! I resemble that!

/;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To a certain type of individual, most of us here do also.
Trolls aren't afraid to make the stupid assertions that team the internet. I guess they do everyone a favor by letting us debunk them.

/Looking on the bright side; silver lining etc.

D

Deleted member 48726

Can we stop the circle jerk now?
Regardless of how high we think of ourselves and how low we think of others, it comes out as incredibly rude to belittle others like some here do.

I agree with the fundamentals of this forum and I also see believers and flat earthers as out there. But what I don't do is picking them apart on every opportunity.

I will probably get attacked by the group by writing this but so be it.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regardless of how high we think of ourselves and how low we think of others, it comes out as incredibly rude to belittle others like some here do.
They're not going to see it, and it's fun to ridicule ridiculous, anonymous people who believe nonsense. No one gets hurt.

I agree that there are better uses of time, though.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I agree with the fundamentals of this forum and I also see believers and flat earthers as out there. But what I don't do is picking them apart on every opportunity.

I will probably get attacked by the group by writing this but so be it.
But this is the circle jerk thread!

Top Bottom