• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

zajogungster

Misspeak? I don’t understand how educated people can turn their back on a mountain of research and tests, and keep insisting they can hear things that have been shown, again and again, to be inaudible.
measure a tone of 1000 or a multitone of 12k at an ideal OHM load, a non-musical signal, or just something similar to it ... if the measuring devices will be perfect, like the sound itself, then we can talk about who turns his back on some research and measurements ! the image and graphics are nothing compared to reality.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
measure a tone of 1000 or a multitone of 12k at an ideal OHM load, a non-musical signal, or just something similar to it ... if the measuring devices will be perfect, like the sound itself, then we can talk about who turns his back on some research and measurements ! the image and graphics are nothing compared to
This is very unclear. Could you please reword it?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet it's that ASR only listens to test tones and dummy loads. Something just seems familiar in the refrain.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
measure a tone of 1000 or a multitone of 12k at an ideal OHM load, a non-musical signal, or just something similar to it ... if the measuring devices will be perfect, like the sound itself, then we can talk about who turns his back on some research and measurements ! the image and graphics are nothing compared to reality.
Uh huh

Thorsten Loesch

Germany, now South East Asia (not China or SAR's)
I tried it again.. and yes you are right.. it does sound good.. have to crank my amp very high though…

This is the classic "reverse strawfire" effect.

The output from the dongle is 6 - 12dB (with EU mandated "herring protection" [pun intentional]), much less than from a standard line out.

Without fully compensating the level difference, any comparison to a normal line out will result in a strong "bad sound" reaction, or the reverse, the louder source is percieved as much better.

That is why formal level matching is critical, even for sighted auditions.

Thor

zajogungster

and don't forget something quite important! when you measure something, there are always many different ways and unfortunately the result is always affected by the measurement itself!
and even the most objective objectivity is always only subjective! that is, what you measure and see, you can implement differently than someone else, even though you have the same graph! the breadth of knowledge is never the same for everyone

Thorsten Loesch

Germany, now South East Asia (not China or SAR's)
Don't believe everything you read on ASR. It is not, nor will ever be, the font of all knowledge when it comes to high fidelity reproduction equipment.

Hear, hear.

I agree. Nor are the Subjectivist forums a reliable source of information. Both have parts of the complete picture AND even combining both, the picture is incomplete.

Thor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
and don't forget something quite important! when you measure something, there are always many different ways and unfortunately the result is always affected by the measurement itself!
and even the most objective objectivity is always only subjective! that is, what you measure and see, you can implement differently than someone else, even though you have the same graph! the breadth of knowledge is never the same for everyone
That was indeed reworded. Unfortunately, it is even more obscure than the previous post.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If I understood correctly:
Are 984 tones enough on an 13 yo DAC or you want more?

(note the 512K FFT for better resolution)

1000 Multi.PNG

zajogungster

:) I know, maybe I look like I'm on the "hifi ear" side
but no, I'm an absolute supporter of not getting hurt, but I don't like unequivocal truths and principled people! It is necessary to figure out how to refine the measurements and how to meet what we hear. Because our hearing gave a clue to all this, but not the measuring microphone

zajogungster

If I understood correctly:
Are 984 tones enough on an 13 yo DAC or you want more?

(note the 512K FFT for better resolution)

View attachment 261083
no, i didn't mean it literally. There are a huge number of variables in measurements alone, and even more options for how and what to measure! getting any absolute truth is out of the question! therefore, it is possible to constantly improve and advance, and therefore it is then also audible! :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
but no, I'm an absolute supporter of not getting hurt, but I don't like unequivocal truths and principled people! It is necessary to figure out how to refine the measurements and how to meet what we hear. Because our hearing gave a clue to all this, but not the measuring microphone
Sokel showed you a multitone test above. Is that good enough?

Edit: I guess not.

Sokel

Master Contributor
no, i didn't mean it literally. There are a huge number of variables in measurements alone, and even more options for how and what to measure! getting any absolute truth is out of the question! therefore, it is possible to constantly improve and advance, and therefore it is then also audible! :)
I'm sure I can measure pretty much everything you like,just say it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure I can measure pretty much everything you like,just say it.
I'm going out on a limb here. But I bet no matter how much you measure, it won't be good enough :facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we're back to the mysterious X Factor lurking inside every audio waveform. Defying measurement and physics, and common sense.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect English might not be your native language. And that is okay nothing to worry about. However your posts are hard to understand. Maybe supplement them with some examples of what you have in mind and we can figure out what you are saying to us.

Sokel

Master Contributor
great, so an ordinary multimeter is enough for me, why buy expensive and better and even better measuring devices. I can always use what I show as a fact!
Yes,even a cheap multimeter and a calculator can show you lots and lots of things if you have the patience.
But you don't need to spend much if you like something serious to measure things,get a nice Cosmos rig,a clean dac,install someting like you saw on my post and you are good to go and decide for yourself.

Top Bottom