• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serial connected crossover

77SunsetStrip

A serial connected crossover modeled in X-Sim produces an almost too good to be true flat frequency response. A more typical parallel crossover using the same drivers requires more components to even come close. I know that any crossover design software is a starting point. Anybody tried a serial connected crossover? What are potential pitfalls?

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Not intuitive at all, at least to me. That makes tweaking much harder even with in-box measured data inputted to simulation. I'd guess response tweaks affect more component values as well since multiple driver types are all in the circuit.

OP

77SunsetStrip

Thanks, good reading that outlines the potential complexities of a Series Crossover.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A serial connected crossover modeled in X-Sim produces an almost too good to be true flat frequency response. A more typical parallel crossover using the same drivers requires more components to even come close. I know that any crossover design software is a starting point. Anybody tried a serial connected crossover? What are potential pitfalls?

Keep an eye on the tweeter's mechanical (excursion-limited) power handling, which unfortunately is seldom specified, as well as on the impedance curve.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've used both SXO and PXO topologies for a long time now. I really don't favor one over the other, but sometimes I just want to do an SXO to do one.

True- tweeters can be driven harder with an SXO, as the xover sometimes does not filter past Fc depending on the network. If you use a higher order than 1st, usually this concern can be omitted.

Do you have to use smoother drivers that are well behaved? Nope. Some make it sound as this is a requirement, but notches and conjugates can still be used to fix things- they just happen to filter on both drivers instead of just one. This can make it harder to optimize than the average PXO.

There are times you can get better results with fewer parts and/or less copper-cost outlay with a SXO, and that is an advantage.

Top Bottom