• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sergeants, Lieutenants, Audio Militia?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

"I spent more time with Don (Captain Beefheart) Van Vliet when I was in high school than after he got into 'show business.'

He dropped out during his senior year, because his Dad, who was a Helms Bread truck driver, had a heart attack and 'Vliet' (as he was known then) took over his route for a while -- but most of the time he just stayed home from school.

His girlfriend, Laurie, lived in the house with him, along with his Mom (Sue), his Dad (Glen), Aunt Ione and Uncle Alan. Granny Annie lived across the street.

The way Don got his 'stage name' was, Uncle Alan had a habit of exposing himself to Laurie. He'd piss with the bathroom door open and, if she was walking by, mumble about his appendage -- something along the lines of: "Ahh, what a beauty! It looks just like a big, fine beef heart." - FZ

OP
J

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1663032396596.png

: "Ahh, what a beauty! It looks just like a big, fine beef heart." - FZ

Waxx

Major Contributor
Given that Pop music is a genre of “popular music” that originated in its modern form during the mid-1950s in the United States and the United Kingdom. I suspect Everyone everywhere has/does/will listen to this Genre. Who is so superior to judge people by the genre of music they enjoy? Is that not the ultimate reason and goal for all of us being here as members. This person has some serious issues of superiority and judgmental behavior. He must have a lot of hate in his heart. I hope he finds a way out of that. It will only consume him in the end.
I listen to a lot of music, but at the end it does not matter for the purpose of this site, and all kind of genres are present here. But as it goes about the gear and the science behind it, it does not matter at all.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Just yesterday I was listening to some hi brow music that clearly is above most crowds. It was the "Carpenters Greatest Hits" on YouTube. You all know it is nothing but the finest for me :) My JBL Flip 5 paired with my computer (Bluetooth) was sounding fantastic. High end all the way. Rivals system costing $5000 or more. :rolleyes::D

tomtoo

Major Contributor
When i was very young, and a real audiophool, i thought i should listen to more classic. But it did not work.
40 years later, i prever still heavy metal and industrial techno. ;) And Rock, Blues, blue grass, country, reggae, dub , acid jazz and some pop.

Last edited:

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I want to know why my darn title is so low... A five star general is what I thought I was. Or a King if we are dealing with monarchy. Anything else is an insult to audio truth....
Grand Poobah

lf

Vacceo

Major Contributor
ASR - exists

Audiophools - butt hurt

I posted in humor thread (I found it funny) a screen of some very butt hurt Audiogon member. He even complains that ASR members would listen to pop music. BUt, since anyone can join ASR... What does that even mean?
I have listened to Grindcore on Accuphases. Yeah, sound happens.

Sokel

Master Contributor
There's a strong prejudice growing at the big (not necessarily audiophile,pro sound too) forums when the word ASR comes to table,you can hear all shorts of stuff ("1Khz ONLY SINAD kings","topping forum","tailored measurements","nothing scientific about ridicule people with the same motos",etc) that shows the impact to the community.

They even warn companies with expensive stuff not to send for testing so the ratio of expensive vs cheap gets a big gap,as they would like to diminish,exclude and put a strong divider between people who own expensive stuff and the well measuring but a lot cheaper devices.

Thing is that this community is big and loud.
It won't be easy,it's literally truth vs marketing and if we take a look around you can see who wins in most cases.

Waxx

Major Contributor
There's a strong prejudice growing at the big (not necessarily audiophile,pro sound too) forums when the word ASR comes to table,you can hear all shorts of stuff ("1Khz ONLY SINAD kings","topping forum","tailored measurements","nothing scientific about ridicule people with the same motos",etc) that shows the impact to the community.

They even warn companies with expensive stuff not to send for testing so the ratio of expensive vs cheap gets a big gap,as they would like to diminish,exclude and put a strong divider between people who own expensive stuff and the well measuring but a lot cheaper devices.

It won't be easy,it's literally truth vs marketing and if we take a look around you can see who wins in most cases.
I know quiet a few pro audio guys who read this forum and use the things discussed here for their pro audio stuff also. I know a rental dj system where topping D10 dacs are used, but taken out of the housing and put in a more sturdy and unmarked housing (a kind of secret weapon of the owner) to connect the cdj's with spdif to. And measurements are used a lot to set up big systems and tune it right.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I know quiet a few pro audio guys who read this forum and use the things discussed here for their pro audio stuff also. I know a rental dj system where topping D10 dacs are used, but taken out of the housing and put in a more sturdy and unmarked housing (a kind of secret weapon of the owner) to connect the cdj's with spdif to. And measurements are used a lot to set up big systems and tune it right.
The little I know about pro-sound (I get in their forums to mark bulletproof devices mostly,I'm a little cannibal when it comes to electronics) they care more about mobility,durability,etc and less about the last digit of the 105 SINAD except when it comes to producing sound where they prefer the stuff they know and are widely established in the trade.
But some of them have some poison too and it's about the (long time known) rather average-to-poor (but adequate) measured performance of their gear.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Just proves this forum is hitting the spot.

;)

Top Bottom