• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sergeants, Lieutenants, Audio Militia?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screenshot 2022-09-10.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
1662857539440.png

We don't need traceability for audio measurements or what he is talking about. Seems he is just repeating stuff he has read or googled. Yes, you do need a proper fixture to measure small impedances which I use. And just about every practicing electrical engineer knows. You see me and then refer to it as "Kelvin" or 4-wire probes. It also helps to have a dedicated LCR meter designed for this use, again as I have and utilize.

All the measurements you see in this forum performed by me use state of the art and appropriate gear for such measurements. Nothing is performed by a lay person thinking a $25 meter is suitable for this kind of work.

So no, the problem is not the measurements. The problem is people not wanting to see objective evidence that they are wrong about something.

sq225917

Major Contributor
3 decimal places multimeter....FFS. yeh thats gonna get him down to sub miliohm resistance, not.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

What the hell is he talking about?

Who are the hidden 'sergeants' he is talking about? Adam, you out for drinks with this clown?

That people feel they need to try to up their 'cred' by making shit up about this site and its Admins is pretty funny. Or sad.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been searching for recent posts about cables with “AT&T” in them, can’t find anything… would love to see those “good arguments”?

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Why people feel they need to constantly make shit up about this site and its Admins is pretty funny.
ASR - exists

Audiophools - butt hurt

I posted in humor thread (I found it funny) a screen of some very butt hurt Audiogon member. He even complains that ASR members would listen to pop music. BUt, since anyone can join ASR... What does that even mean?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HI

Speaking from experience:
Confronted to these findings:
  • That their hearing is mundane, downright ordinary.
  • When blind (knowledge removed) and level-matched, they can't hear the up to then , "night and day" differences.
  • That good electronics, sound for the most part the same.
  • That past a $ 9.95 DAC, there is not much audible improvement
  • That there is an objective reality to our preferences IOW, Science with great accuracy predict what we, humans will like in a sound system.
  • That they pay stupid money for poor to no performance at all
  • Related to the above, that good quality doesn't need to cost that much...
Subjectivist audiophiles reacted in two fashions:

They espouse the objective view of Audio and are liberated, spending much less and enjoying music more. Speaking form experience, my current best ever (50 + years as an audiophile) audio system cost less than my former "Reference" DAC. There is a lot of reformed-subjectivist in this forum... I am one of these.

or...

They continue their quest .. with lifting veils, lowering the "noise Floor", for galaxy-wide soundstage, cosmic-black background, etc,,, But they do, now, feel the pang , of suspecting that they are wrong.. What is left to do? Turn against the messengers, since they don't have any valid arguments to attack the messages. That deficit of arguments manifest itself by the subjectivists, the High End Audio industry in fact, recruiting some Scientists in a non-audio sector, to come up with some scientific looking "arguments" to perpetrate the BS and the money-grabbing. I know one audiophile, who when confronted with the painful reality that he could not hear any differences between cables, (this was an important experience for me too), reverted to this old ways... thereby maintaining and solidifying his guru-status, within his community.

They know they're losing the battle. It won't be without a fight however.

Peace.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Looks like he did a failure while measuring cable resistance. And now thinks all are the same stupid.
The first thing can happen, the second shows that you suffer under heavy Dunning–Kruger.

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
What the hell is he talking about?

Who are the hidden 'sergeants' he is talking about? Adam, you out for drinks with this clown?

That people feel they need to try to up their 'cred' by making shit up about this site and its Admins is pretty funny. Or sad.
Not recently in the past 20 years or so. When I did drink however, it was mostly in the company of many Clowns! So, it’s a remote possibility. Who doesn’t like Clowns?

Waxx

Major Contributor
yeah, audiogon, where I was attacked because i claim modern matched tubes of good brands (I am using Shuguangs, but tested and selected ones) are often better than super expensive NOS tubes of 70 years old that nobody tested if they are not gone yet... Here i may be attacked because i like tubes, but at least you got arguments that it's old obsolete tech (i know, but i still like them).

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
The next morning, I have looked worse! Those were the days. What you never heard the term “We were just Clowning around” ? But I jest…

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can we please have military titles and ranks for members? This'll definitely legitimize all the claims of the sh**tposters.

Top Bottom