• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sequential damage

Veri

Master Contributor
@Veri, are the case GND of the L30 sharing GND as the audio parts inside? Can you please measure with a DMM the resistance from the outer case and the RCA GND?
Sorry trl, I don't have the tools (or experience) to do this but maybe someone else here can? :p

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

izbit

@Veri, are the case GND of the L30 sharing GND as the audio parts inside? Can you please measure with a DMM the resistance from the outer case and the RCA GND? Thanks!

I checked my L30, purchased back in November, using a ****** multimeter.

The case itself is not conductive at all, at least not enough to give any resistance reading between any two points on itself.
RCA input, RCA output, and HP port, all share common ground, but gives no resistance reading with anything else I could find.
On the back, the two screws on the far left and right are connected also with the tiny inset screw above the RCA input (<0.5 Ohm).
The tiny screw above the RCA outputs doesn't give a reading to any other point either.

enomiss

Bummer. That seals the deal for me, I just removed multiple Topping products from my wish list. Any product may fail, but this shows it’s best to stick with companies that have a track record of good customer service.

Are you not overreacting? What amp manufacturer would actually cover for this? :facepalm: Maye if you buy an amp that costs 4 numbers...

Zensō

Major Contributor
Are you not overreacting? What amp manufacturer would actually cover for this? :facepalm: Maye if you buy an amp that costs 4 numbers...
Schiit for one. I believe JDS as well. You need to have higher expectations, I think.

Viper Necklampy

Also mine L30 purchased by Amazon.it (Playstereo) around 2 months ago, after a month with lot of usage exploded, my cheap iem sony exploded in my hear and i got a bit scared by the explosion in the ears, but fortunately i feel nothing bad happened to my ears. So i returned it, lucky i wasn't using expensive headphones but i really liked my no more buyable iem.
I wonder if it also damages a bit the power strip and his internal or connector where it was plugged.g
Guess also it was on overload of the current by that power supply. :/

Last edited:

escalibur

Also mine purchased by Amazon.it (Playstereo) around 2 months ago, after a month with lot of usage exploded, my cheap iem sony exploded in my hear and i got a bit scared by the explosion in the ears, but fortunately i feel nothing bad happened to my ears. So i returned it, lucky i wasn't using expensive headphones but i really liked my no more buyable iem.
I wonder if it also damages a bit the power strip and his internal or connector where it was plugged.g
L30?

Tks

Major Contributor
Unfortunate. Kinda reminds me of the V1 DX3 Pro incident (though I still believe that had nothing to do with output impedance, rather simply bad/non existant QC that didn't pick up on incorrectly populated boards, wither either parts not soldered, and wave solder not being cleaned up potentially shorting things from the bottom when I recall the images of failed units back then).

Thankfully I still have a V1 that works great (opened it up to check if everything was fine on the board). Might get a random shut-off of the device once every few months at worst, but that's the extent of the issue in my experience.

This seems like an all together different issue. @Jimbob54 sorry to hear about your headphone going along with it too :[

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
It's an AC/AC transformer, if "the burn" happened inside the amp there's no way to affect the power stripe, not even the transformer itself shouldn't be affected by a short-term short-circuit/overload of the connected load.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@Viper Necklampy .

When it explodet were you touching the L30 (volume control ?)

Viper Necklampy

@Viper Necklampy .

When it explodet were you touching the L30 (volume control ?)
Mhh, well i do remember i was in *headbang* mode in a song of my playlist, it turned me up and i was headbanging with my iem, so maybe i was upping the volume at the exact time it exploded, can't remember exactly, just i was very very involved in the live song. Song btw was called ''Stress (Live version)'' by Justice, so i experienced a hell of a energetic explosive moment :) But i was really fine, my ears also.
The explosion of the L30 and the consecuences with a expensive headphone simply weren't going to be acceptable and shameful by Topping without any sort of refund.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Did you experience static discharges being around the house ?

Reactions: PSO

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I meant static electricity issues.
Getting up from a couch for instance and when you touch someone or something you get a slight 'jolt/shock' and maybe hear a faint 'spark'.

Viper Necklampy

I meant static electricity issues.
Getting up from a couch for instance and when you touch someone or something you get a slight 'jolt/shock' and maybe hear a faint 'spark'.
Oh, don't remember honestly as it was a bit more than a month ago, but i think i may felt something with my iem like when it exploded in my ear or touching with a finger just after, or when unplugging the power supply, not entirely sure.. Maybe the power supply of the amp was sparkling a little at that moment, can't tell exactly by memory sorry :S

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mhh, well i do remember i was in *headbang* mode in a song of my playlist, it turned me up and i was headbanging with my iem, so maybe i was upping the volume at the exact time it exploded, can't remember exactly, just i was very very involved in the live song. Song btw was called ''Stress (Live version)'' by Justice, so i experienced a hell of a energetic explosive moment :) But i was really fine, my ears also.
The explosion of the L30 and the consecuences with a expensive headphone simply weren't going to be acceptable and shameful by Topping without any sort of refund.

Understandable about not remembering. Having something explode in one's ear could easily make one forget exactly what they were doing at that second. Definitely a trauma moment.

Viper Necklampy

Understandable about not remembering. Having something explode in one's ear could easily make one forget exactly what they were doing at that second. Definitely a trauma moment.
Maybe just because i do not have a strong memory that's it ahahah The explosion got me scared but other than a sound in the ears which wasn't super excessive, i didn't felt anything that dangerous for my ears about the iem impact.
But indeed i thinked a bit and i remember that i had this strong fear of unplugging the power supply of E30 with the fear of being shocked there (I did it anyway because i don't know, maybe the fear of having my whole system and power strip away lol), because just after the mess-up, it produced a weird sound, like a audible high-frequency noises that was on a crescendo maybe, can't exactly remember. Should have documented before.. But i was already returning the amp since i wasn't liking it, yes a little trauma but nothing too bad happened, and luckily just the same day after, i received the THX 887 which i enjoy a lot more :)

Top Bottom