• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sequential damage

raif71

Major Contributor
My point exactly. There are a lot of people on this forum, especially in Europe (myself included), who ordered the L30 directly from China instead of waiting for local distributors to stock it. And also because it simply costs less. It shouldn't come as any surprise that it gets more complicated and potentially expensive if something goes wrong.

Without evidence to the contrary, I don't think for a second there is anything remotely wrong with the construction of the L30. Sometimes shit just happens – even to the best of products. Topping have said they will replace the item if OP returns it, which sounds perfectly fair to me. I certainly wouldn't expect anything more even if I had bought it in my local hifi emporium.
My L30 was bought at a local shop after trying it out. Unpacked and packed it back after demo at the shop. So far my L30 is ok but if something happens within the warranty period, I can just bring the unit back to the local shop. I'm contemplating to buy Schiit products online as the local audio shops around my area does not support Schiit. Shudder for me to think if something were to happen buying online electronic products.

ExpertNoob

Is this just an issue with the L30? Is the E30 DAC safe? I kinda feel uneasy using it with this happening.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
It's strange how Topping can be considered here as one of the most popular brands and next day with a handful issues becomes the brand to be shot at with class action and "let's hang him" reaction.
The difference here is that the failure mode of the device is taking out potentially far more expensive devices. It's like buying budget oil with the risk of having your engine blow up. I don't think anyone would be complaining much if the amps were only frying themselves.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The difference here is that the failure mode of the device is taking out potentially far more expensive devices. It's like buying budget oil with the risk of having your engine blow up. I don't think anyone would be complaining much if the amps were only frying themselves.

Yep.
As they say nowadays, nothing is 100% sure and there is a risk in every thing you do (or don't do):rolleyes:

Read my post #13
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sequential-damage.19003/post-622365

PS- I'm not in that (insurance) biz

samurro

Did the manufacturer make any comments on what they are doing right now? Like how likely is it we are going the real reason for those problems of the device?

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't go legal.
@solderdude 's good advice + house insurance in parallel is how I would move.
The seller will just send it to the manufacturer and will probably not doing more and almost certain nothing about the consequences (headphone and else).
The manufacturer will certainly consider.
This site has 17.000 members, quite some power as per @dmac6419 's hint ;)
The only issue with contents insurance (assuming they will cover) is excess and subsequent premium hike. I need to check the former and weigh up the likely impact of the latter. If it was the amp alone I would not be discussing it. The headphones have an rrp worth claiming, but at the price I paid it may be marginal.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Did the manufacturer make any comments on what they are doing right now? Like how likely is it we are going the real reason for those problems of the device?
Situation being assessed, new units will likely have better static charge protection; if some other problem is found there will likely be bigger hardware revision.

In any case, of many 10.000(?) units sold, there is first hand account of 4 of these failures. Let's see what happens.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Regardless of any internal findings, they are unlikely to take any broad action like recalls etc due to cost. Revisions to design might be quietly made if there is a real deficiency there.

samurro

Regardless of any internal findings, they are unlikely to take any broad action like recalls etc due to cost. Revisions to design might be quietly made if there is a real deficiency there.
That sounds the most realistic, sadly for me its a no go.
I am looking for my first headphone amp ever and was really set on the L30, before my attention was brought to this thread.

So I see only the option of choosing another product, like the A50s. Is there any similar product planned for the near feature? I heard hints about a A30 pro or something?
Otherwise I will look to other manufcaturers, my health is much more important than any audio fidelity.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
That sounds the most realistic, sadly for me its a no go.
I am looking for my first headphone amp ever and was really set on the L30, before my attention was brought to this thread.

So I see only the option of choosing another product, like the A50s. Is there any similar product planned for the near feature? I heard hints about a A30 pro or something?
Otherwise I will look to other manufcaturers, my health is much more important than any audio fidelity.
A30 pro = This month.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-amplifier-review.15226/page-117#post-623915

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Try to remember your sarcastic winky faces for a global audience.

It cost me over $30 to return an 8 ounce box with a tube in it to China.

When I buy directly from China I expect low prices in exchange for a one way trip with limited or no support. If I am unwilling to take the risk, I will buy from a local distributor. Personally, I will accept the risk most of the time. Since John says it is 4 in 10k then I would use it with any of my headphones.

samurro

Schiit Heresy, one of the Geshelli amps, 9038D for higher impedance HP's, .. there are many choices. If willing to spend more, Drop thx 789 is available for 299 $. It has balanced inputs too, and highly rated. Amir has reviewed Loxije too.
I am from Europe, but this is OT.

So the A30 will be a DAC+AMP? Not really versed with product naming shemes yet.

samurro

Sorry, what's OT? I think it's amp only.
Suggesting other AMP models of other manufacturers. :D

Yeah I am skimming through the topics available of A30, so there will be A30 and D30. Not sure if I want those, without the ability to connect my speakers, also I dont have balanced HPs.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only issue with contents insurance (assuming they will cover) is excess and subsequent premium hike. I need to check the former and weigh up the likely impact of the latter. If it was the amp alone I would not be discussing it. The headphones have an rrp worth claiming, but at the price I paid it may be marginal. But that's a job for Monday, as is going to the post office, assuming open due to bloody lockdown.

Not sure if I understood you correctly.
But in my case the electrical damage option was really low compared to my Hifi and other electronic staff.
Moreover they compensate as per NEW value. Means that my 25 year or so amps were way more expensive then ..
Can't you contact your insurance by internet, mail or phone ?
I hate all the administrative protocols.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if I understood you correctly.
But in my case the electrical damage option was really low compared to my Hifi and other electronic staff.
Moreover they compensate as per NEW value. Means that my 25 year or so amps were way more expensive then ..
Can't you contact your insurance by internet, mail or phone ?
I hate all the administrative protocols.
The last sentence about post office belonged to a different draft post!

I will contact my insurer on Monday! Thanks.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try to remember your sarcastic winky faces for a global audience.

It cost me over $30 to return an 8 ounce box with a tube in it to China.

When I buy directly from China I expect low prices in exchange for a one way trip with limited or no support. If I am unwilling to take the risk, I will buy from a local distributor. Personally, I will accept the risk most of the time. Since John says it is 4 in 10k then I would use it with any of my headphones.

I agree and some even consider these electronics as consumables.
But what we learn here is that he can cause damage to the rest of the equipment you may cherish .

mshenay

Situation being assessed, new units will likely have better static charge protection; if some other problem is found there will likely be bigger hardware revision.

In any case, of many 10.000(?) units sold, there is first hand account of 4 of these failures. Let's see what happens.

Little more than just 4 out of 10,000 now. An let's not forget the failures that haven't been posted online yet, a few folks in discord as well as person to person are reporting more failures... I know for my own content I won't be featuring L30 any more as I can't risk product failure especially with a manufacturer that doesn't seem to care about their end users... @Jimbob54 I hope everything works out for you and I'm sorry to hear about your loss but thank you for sharing your experience here with us

Veri

Master Contributor
Little more than just 4 out of 10,000 now. An let's not forget the failures that haven't been posted online yet, a few folks in discord as well as person to person are reporting more failures... I know for my own content I won't be featuring L30 any more as I can't risk product failure especially with a manufacturer that doesn't seem to care about their end users... @Jimbob54 I hope everything works out for you and I'm sorry to hear about your loss but thank you for sharing your experience here with us
Yeah I understand the concerns, was going to stop using my own but.. it sits on a grounded DAC. Feeling pretty safe about that. The guy on SBAF whose L30 died had it sitting on carpet for example. One unit may be more susceptible than the other so the situation will also matter a lot.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@Veri, are the case GND of the L30 sharing GND as the audio parts inside? Can you please measure with a DMM the resistance from the outer case and the RCA GND? Thanks!

Top Bottom