• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Separate R/L stereo power amp for 3.1 system?

pingpongplaya

Hi all, I am currently using a 3.1 system (Q Acoustics 3030i + 3090Ci and SVS SB-1000 Pro) with a Marantz NR1711 AV Receiver.
I have been considering buying a separate power amplifier for the R / L channels as the Marantz receiver has pre-outs for these channels (but not the centre channel).

Can anyone give tips on the pros / cons of this and their views of whether its worth it? The goal is to boost the music listening experience but given that I also watch TV a fair bit, I am wondering whether having the centre channel and R / L channels powered via different components would be detrimental for the sound.

If it helps, I am primarily considering the IOTAVX PA3 or the XTZ Edge A2-300. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Weird nobody replied to your question.
- At your loudest volume, if things sound OK, you will gain nothing.
- To have more power than an AVR means like 300+ watts at 4 ohms. That's not cheap! Less than that won't gain more volume really, due to the logarithmic nature of hearing.
- The answer to "having the centre channel and R / L channels powered via different components would be detrimental for the sound" is NO it's fine.
- Love your username! I haven't played much in a long time :( are you near L.A.? :D
- My suggestion is move up to a 3-way center channel, bigger woofers. You can't fit a 3rd 3030i to use as a center?

Top Bottom