• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Separate mono for subwoofer

reldogz

Hi everyone.

I am looking for some advice on how to properly get a mono signal to my active subwoofer.

I am using a DJ Controller (Hercules Impulse 500) connected to my MacBook Pro. I can then use my controller or the MacBooks audio out to my speakers. I have a few splitters to send audio to four active speakers. Plus I have an active subwoofer.

The challenge I have is getting a mono sound to the sub. I do have a Denon receiver that can help achieve this, but was trying to find a solution where I didn’t need to bring this large receiver with me to places where I need to play music. (I get hired to DJ house parties and such.)

What are the best solutions to help me get mono out (or just a low frequency out) from my controller to the sub? I’ve looked around at DACs, summing boxes, and some other things… but honestly… I’m just confused where to look. Or, should I just continue to use the receiver?

Thanks in advance!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Properly is open to interpretation. Your sub might be able to accept L/R signal and sum it to mono. Maybe not. Be specific in the gear involved would help, let alone vague assumptions about full range signal or one that can be bass managed....

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to use a sound card to do this (PC), setting a crossover in software and using analog outputs (left, right, and sub). Is an external sound card/interface an option?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It's a DJ console, the PC is just the controller, the audio output is from the DJ console/mixer.

OP
R

reldogz

Thanks everyone for the replies.

The sub is a Sony 150 W 12 powered sub. Model: SA-WM500.

I have 4 JBL Boomboxes wired together to create decent highs, mids, and lows. Need the subwoofer for the extra bass.

It isn’t much of a professional look, but it’s just for house parties and it’s sufficient at that.

After much research, I have decided to just use my receiver as it serves its purpose. I do appreciate everyone’s input though

Top Bottom