• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sense check of set up Edition XS, Fiio K7 and Edifier 1280DBS

LordOishi

Hi,
I just wanted to check this is set up would work mostly concerning my Edifier 1280DBS speakers which I believe are powered.

I'd like to add in a Fiio k7 and Edition XS and wanted to check all three elements can work in tandem, in particular the Fiio K7 being able to sensibly drive (use) the Edifier 1280 DBS, Z Reviews was able to do something similar so just wanted to check any other real world experiences. And then to check what cabling arrangement would be best in this instance.

Then adding a subwoofer which I can do directly to the 1280DBS, I'm assuming this wouldn't confuse the Fiio K7?

Finally any cabling recommendations, happy spend into three figures if needed.

Thank you!

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can plug the Edifier into the K7's Line out port on the back and the Edition XS into the Headphone out on the front.
Then by changing the Output selection switch on the front of the K7 between PRE and PO, you can switch between speakers and headphone.

No, adding a subwoofer via the Edifier's Sub Out port won't confuse the K7.

As for the cabling arrangement, you don't actually get more power out of the K7's headphone Amp via the 4.4mm Pentaconn port with the Edition XS. But you do get more noise.
So I wouldn't bother with an extra balanced cable for the Hifiman.

And the Edifier can just plug in with regular RCA cables.

OP
L

LordOishi

You can plug the Edifier into the K7's Line out port on the back and the Edition XS into the Headphone out on the front.
Then by changing the Output selection switch on the front of the K7 between PRE and PO, you can switch between speakers and headphone.

No, adding a subwoofer via the Edifier's Sub Out port won't confuse the K7.

As for the cabling arrangement, you don't actually get more power out of the K7's headphone Amp via the 4.4mm Pentaconn port with the Edition XS. But you do get more noise.
So I wouldn't bother with an extra balanced cable for the Hifiman.

And the Edifier can just plug in with regular RCA cables.
Great thank you, v reassuring.

I had also considered the mk 2 E30 L30 stack for this arrangement. Do you know if that would also work and which option gives me best future proofing between the stack and the Fiio K7? Thinking down the line if I upgraded the Edition XS.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Topping stack is better in just about every way except compactness.
I think it's well worth the extra cost over the K7.

OP
L

LordOishi

The Topping stack is better in just about every way except compactness.
I think it's well worth the extra cost over the K7.
Thanks I am v tempted and don't mind the bigger footprint. Just to check i could still use with the 1280dbs?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes. Just like the Fiio K7, the Topping L30 II has a Line out port on the back and Headphone out on the front, so the way you connect them is the same.

Top Bottom