• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser Says Pentaconns Get Premium Headphones ...........

digicidal

Major Contributor
So... $1200 to $6000 because portability is a primary concern? Obviously, I would have loved this when I was a teen and was on long road trips with my parents - unfortunately, back then digital audio was barely a vague notion in a few labs and I had to make due with a $20 walkman. Add that to the fact that the car we were driving cost less than the upper range on that combo - and it wouldn't have happened even if it had existed.

Unless you're into ear-bleeding volume levels, anywhere that portability is a primary concern - is likely to have so much environmental noise as to make the gains pointless (assuming there even are any). IMO at least.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Remind me again what problem this is solving?

Look into the design, it's not as silly as you may think.

http://www.ndics.com/en/products/pentaconn/

2 contacts per pole on all five poles.

All five poles touch all five contacts in the jack and the trigger switch to activate is the last point to operate/activate. So there is zero chance of any shorts.

Pairs have identical characteristics, whereas a typical 1/4" stereo plug does not.

Based on the schematic, it's backwards compatible in any case.

It looks like a new standard JEITA RC8141C but it's really just an evolution of the standard plug we've had for a century. The Chinese will copy it soon enough.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
4.4mm dia. Isn't that a new size? - i.e. not retro-usable.:confused:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Advantages of Pentaconn:
standardized connections from day one (unless some smart-ass decides to use the plug for single ended and remote/mic or that stuff).
5-pin plug basically so 4 wire balanced and single ended including an extra shield/ground all in one connector.
Not as big as 6.3 TRS jack and has more connections.
slightly bigger than 3.5mm and certainly bigger than the 2.5mm so more sturdy connection for smaller equipment.
Proven concept (the jack plug) can easily be cleaned by the user.
Easy to fit on DAP's and desktop equipment.
Aftermarket gets to sell even more cables.

disadvantages:
Needs equipment with this socket so only new gear is possible.
Those manufacturers would also want to cater for 6.3 or other sockets to widen their market.
Yet another headphone socket besides 6.3, 3.5 and 2.5 TR(R)S, (2x) XLR 3-pin or XLR 4-pin
No remote control functionality (3.5mm TRRS)
Diameter too big for the thinner than thin phones these days.
Manufacturers may need to offer 2.5, 3.5 and 6.3 mm adapters for their Pentaconn cable where the 3.5 (and 2.5) will be long and thin adapters.

No audible benefits other than more available power when properly balanced from a low voltage device.
Maybe slightly more secure connection (less scratchy noises/cutting out when moving the plug) compared to 2.5mm and 3.5mm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom