• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HDV-820 USB DAC & Headphone Amp Review

Rac1

Let's keep in mind that the HDV820 manual (and also the HDVD800 manual) clearly indicates high impedance headphones recommended

dananski

Oh dear. I demoed the DCA Expanse and this was the HPA in the demo setup. I was so underwhelmed I knew something was amiss with this rather than the Expanse so thought I'd look it up and sure enough...

I wish it wasn't profitable to create such garbage.

Joachim Herbert

Oh dear. I demoed the DCA Expanse and this was the HPA in the demo setup. I was so underwhelmed I knew something was amiss with this rather than the Expanse so thought I'd look it up and sure enough...

I wish it wasn't profitable to create such garbage.
It was not designed to work with low impedance headphones. See above.

dananski

It was not designed to work with low impedance headphones. See above.
Yes, it does worse with them according to the measurements here. But the Expanse is high impedance and this was not great for that either.

Joachim Herbert

I agree this is a flawed design. But hey, there are lots of alternatives around.

dananski

No they aren't, they're 23 ohms. This is for headphones like the HD 800 S & the HD 650 where the impedance is 300 ohms.
Sorry yes you're right.
I was probably thinking of the low sensitivity and assuming high impedance.

auricom

Ordered this together with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ to test which works better as all-in-one, for now. Both used. I have HD 800 (original, modded) among some other headphones. So yes, I think I could find something better than RME ADI-2 DAC FS for the same price (800€), talked in other thread. I mean the Mytek, I would be somewhat surprised if the HDV 820 (1100€) would be overall better. But not with HD 800 maybe.

auricom

Cannot get HDV 820 to work on my PC (USB), no matter what I do. It's not showing on my Windows sound settings. Doesn't recognize it at all. Driver installation doesn't help. I installed this driver numerous times, found under "Application Software" https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-FI/p/hdv-820/ Restart doesn't help. I'm using the USB cable that came with my Asus Xonar Essence One MUSES Edition, it's the only cable I have. And it works perfectly well with it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Cannot get HDV 820 to work on my PC (USB), no matter what I do. It's not showing on my Windows sound settings. Doesn't recognize it at all. Driver installation doesn't help. I installed this driver numerous times, found under "Application Software" https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-FI/p/hdv-820/ Restart doesn't help. I'm using the USB cable that came with my Asus Xonar Essence One MUSES Edition, it's the only cable I have. And it works perfectly well with it.
Try plugging the HDV820 out of your PC, then open the Device Manager and plug it in.

If you see the Device Manager flicker once and refresh, then at least the PC recognizes something.

Also, even though your cable works fine with the Xonar, I would try a second cable, just to be sure.

You only need a regular USB 2.0 "Hi-Speed" 480Mb/s Printer cable.
Any local electronics retailer should have one.

If the USB input refuses to work no matter what you try, then you may still be able to salvage the situation by using the HDV820's Optical input instead.

If your PC doesn't have optical out, then you can add that with one of these:

auricom

I tried Mytek this time, and it's also not working! Can't see it in Windows sound settings, or play anything. But at least I can control it via software, so the link is working. I installed all available drivers and software. Something is not right here. I will try with another cable later, but it's possible it's not going to solve it. I also uninstalled all Asus stuff before Mytek. My laptop doesn't have optical out.
Also, Windows at least makes a sound when I disconnect/connect Mytek.
And it shows in Device Manager as a device, but not under sound devices.

Last edited:

auricom

New cable works :D
After inspecting both cables I noticed the old one was missing 1 pin in both ends. I had taken them out to improve SQ.. worked well with my old device, but not with these. Dunno why that is, maybe they need more bandwidth, but the missing pin should be there to give power, not needed with any of these 3.
Mytek should have came with cable, but both devices had lost boxes and almost everything else. Full of scratches too. I don't recommend that shop to anyone. Other was also missing power cable. Crazy.

Some things I noticed so far (more for myself), I haven't tested with speakers at all
-HDV 820 alone sounds better than Mytek (even with low impedance phones Denon AH-D7200). Larger soundstage, meatier bass, more powerful sound. So Mytek is a bit disappointing. It's PSU could be upgraded to external, but I doubt it can catch up
-Mytek as a DAC (rated better than RME by some, if that says anything) + Sennheiser as an amp sounds incredible to me, to be honest I haven't compared back and forth like I did Mytek and Sennheiser many times, because it's too much work, but I'm sure it sounds best I have heard
-I compared this combined setup to old Asus back and forth, and the improvement is quite massive. Like the other sounds ok/good, but other makes me emotional. This is not only because it sounds better, it sounds much more powerful and clean

Will probably return both, because there is no point in keeping both, and get separate DAC+AMP for cheaper. Also partly because of my neighbours, and the stress playing any louder than quiet causes me, and the sound quality I get, and the things I can hear, I plan to sell all my speakers if possible and never invest in speakers again. At least as long as I live here. Luckily I only bought 2 speakers now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom