• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Carlo2AC

I just hope their successor has more forward presence in that region, more akin to the MDR-V6 & HD600.

Hmm now that have gotten accustomed to EQ'ing i don't really mind how scuffed a headphone FR is as long it has great technicalities and low distortion
I hope that the successor keeps the same comfort too though

jmillar

You need to try a pair of Focal Clear then, they have the same imaging attributes as the HD800, but more enhanced (I have the original 800, but I assume after EQ, the 800 and 800S are similar)
Imaging may be similar in the Clears, but the "soundstage" is much broader in the 800s: One question to decide upon when purchasing headphones.

Piatnik

Forum Donor
Yes, Soundsource has everything you might need. Pro-Q makes equing much more convenient.
Thanks. I just finished the setup and this is a really nice and easy to use combinaison. My HD800S will sound at there best everywhere now.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Very, very different drivers.
Driver-ear difference is very different, driver angle is different, amount of air inside the cups is very different, venting the front of the driver is very different, pads are very different, distortion, ringing, frequency response (don't expect measurements/EQ to be exact, regardless who makes the measurements) also differ.
The only things they have in common are the brand and the HD*** designations.

And yes, I agree. Even when you get them tonally the same they don't sound the same. This despite people saying you can take the cheapest headphone and EQ'ing it will give the same results.
What do you think about HD 650 VS HD 800 S soundwise and comfortwise? (without EQ)

Tks

Major Contributor
What do you think about HD 650 VS HD 800 S soundwise and comfortwise? (without EQ)
I'm not solderdude, but HD800S sounds a bit different for sure. HD800 without EQ in general sucks due to the idiotic treble spike Sennheiser would never rectify (in the same way Audeze will never back off their iconic LCD series design no matter the ergonomic issues that comes with it). If you're old, then I suppose you might be able to bare it, otherwise the headphone is just too "high treble" for my tastes.

650 by comparison sounds a bit less "clear" but that's probably due to that stupid treble spike. But that's about the only difference I feel. Oh and that whole "soundstage being great" on the HD800 line rings true (though I think this is because the earcups are roomy on top of that treble spike which contributes more to this "air" feel).

Which brings me to comfort. HD650, comfort is top notch for a headphone in it's category. Most importantly the weight is no more than it needs to be, and thus stays on the head as it should. The 800 is better to me due to the wider/flatter top headband padding, on top of the whole headphone seemingly hugging your head and sides of your head better (more surface area due to the larger cups).

The HD800 without EQ is just ugh, but given that Sennheiser isn't shy about making a flagship out of plastic (seriously when will laymen move on from this notion that you can't get quality plastics in devices?) the comfort benefits greatly especially if your head isn't particularly weird or whatever. I'd legit pay the same amount of money for an HD800 with a 650 driver in it. THATS how good I think the ergonomic design is. Oh and I think it's one of the best looking headphones ever made, the only thing I think really tops it in terms of aesthetics, is Meze Empyreans, and nothing else.

The HD650 though is still comfortable, but if you're riding with bald gang like I am, wearing it for hours upon hours leaves an impermanent imprint on where it rests on the top of your head (the cushion pads are the reason). This goes away after not wearing them for a little bit. The 650 nevertheless is still one of the most comfy headphones and the fit on the head is great, allowing you to tilt your head any which way, and they won't slide or things of that nature.

I'd say if you got the money, try the HD800S, maybe you'll like it (everyone at least likes the soundstage aspect). But you can't go wrong with the 650 in the sound and comfort department either way.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Without EQ:

Tonal balance: HD650>HD800 full realistic sound vs bass light and treble peak (less so but still there a little with the S)
Treble: HD650>HD800
Imaging: HD800>>HD650 (wide vs 'intimate')
Comfort: HD800>>HD650 (there is no contest for me, others may prefer the HD650)
Sound: HD650>HD800 (warmish neutral with pleasant treble, maybe a tad to subdued but smooth)

With (proper) EQ:
Sound/tonal balance: HD800>HD650
imaging: HD800>>HD650
'Effortless' sound: HD800>>HD650

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Thanks for your comments, Tks and solderdude. I am a previous owner of the HD 800 (not S) and loved it both sound- and comfortwise.
Maybe I follow @solderdude 's advice and buy it and use EQ. Thanks for the useful comments regarding comfort, @Tks and @solderdude: comfort is super-important.
One advantage with the 650 is (in addition to a lower price) a little bit less sound leakage, confer this, as my original goal was to find a closed headphone with super comfort, super sound and great build and accessories-availability (HD 820 has IMO most of this except for super sound (without EQ, I have not tried with EQ) and it is leaking a little bit much sound for being closed. I have given up finding a closed headphone satisfying my criteria.

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
The HD800S is a much improved, IMO, HD800 and is a great headphone. I owned and loved the HD800S. I have also owned the HD600/650/700.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I bought the amazing HD 800 S a few days ago.
Anyone who knows why the specific letter "S" was added (is it an abbreviation? if so abbrevation for what?) or if Sennheiser just added "a random" letter ?

Last edited:

Carlo2AC

Anyone who knows why the specific letter "S" was added (is it an abbreviation? if so abbrevation for what?) or if Sennheiser just added "a random" letter ?
The same letter was in the HD660s and from what i recall it meant balanced, it was a word in german but i don't remember the word, it is an abbreviation

solderdude

Grand Contributor
From the product manager:

“Originally, the HD 800 S was simply an artistic addition similar to a Porsche Carrera S. We rationalized it to mean “symmetrical (symmetrisch in german)”, but we broke the rule for the IE 80 S in 2017 already. Right now, it’s just an add-on for next-gen audiophile products.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

“Originally, the HD 800 S was simply an artistic addition similar to a Porsche Carrera S. We rationalized it to mean “symmetrical (symmetrisch in german)”, but we broke the rule for the IE 80 S in 2017 already. Right now, it’s just an add-on for next-gen audiophile products.
Interesting. Absent any other explanation, I generally take it to be short for "Super".

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's just a sligthly modified version of the 1st generation HD 800. If you can EQ your headphones you can use the 1st gen which, AFAIR, has lower distortion in the bass.

Carlo2AC

It's just a sligthly modified version of the 1st generation HD 800. If you can EQ your headphones you can use the 1st gen which, AFAIR, has lower distortion in the bass.
Distortion-wise, with the resonator to tame the peak Oratory1990 measured both and the difference is only between second and third harmonics , if you can EQ they are the same headphones minus the paint and cable differences

Thank you for the response, i can for sure remember a completely different explanation from the product manager that relates to the new balanced cables of the HD660s ahahahahaha

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is a quote from an e-mail from the top-dog product manager.
I am sure in 2016/2017 the 'rationalization' still was 'symmetrical' (balanced) though.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Found out what HD in the model name of Sennheiser headphones is: It seems that it is an abbreviation for Headphone Dynamic.
HE seems to be an abbreviation for Headphone Electrostatic.

Top Bottom