• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Robbo99999

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just thinking about this... a claim frequently made in the electrostat community is that very powerful third party amps are needed to drive the bass properly on many electrostatic headphones (especially the SR-007).

If this is correct, and who knows whether it is or not, would the problem be exacerbated by EQ-ing electrostatic headphones to increase the bass?
I don't know much about electrostats and their need for powerful amps or not, but certainly if you EQ up the bass then that means you have to apply a negative preamp to avoid digital clipping, which is essentially lowering the volume across the whole frequency range, therefore you loose volume headroom so that increases your potential need for a more powerful amplifier - with my various headphones I don't require any additional amplification (I use Unity Gain) even though I'm using up to -12dB negative preamp, my hardest to drive headphones are only the K702 and HD600, so they're not that difficult to drive. Normally if a headphone amplifier gets your headphone to a loud enough level without signs of clipping then you don't have anything to worry about re amplifier power.

Maki

Just thinking about this... a claim frequently made in the electrostat community is that very powerful third party amps are needed to drive the bass properly on many electrostatic headphones (especially the SR-007).

If this is correct, and who knows whether it is or not, would the problem be exacerbated by EQ-ing electrostatic headphones to increase the bass?
Yes and no, it depends on your listening volume and the amount of bass boost. A SRM-727 level amp should be enough for almost everyone I'd think, and most would be fine with SRM-353X and similar. I have a 450V carbon and I measured its output with a scope and I don't get anywhere near the maximum output before clipping with my normal listening levels. The "better bass" claims are pretty much the usual audiophile mythology.

John_M

Forum Donor
Yes and no, it depends on your listening volume and the amount of bass boost. A SRM-727 level amp should be enough for almost everyone I'd think, and most would be fine with SRM-353X and similar. I have a 450V carbon and I measured its output with a scope and I don't get anywhere near the maximum output before clipping with my normal listening levels. The "better bass" claims are pretty much the usual audiophile mythology.

I am using 353X with SR-009. Currently trying equalizing to Harman with oratory1990's settings. I listen to about half the maximum volume on the amp.

The "better bass" claims appear to be expounded by two of the "High Wizards" of the Stax mafia, Kevin Gilmore and spritzer, who do have a scientific background and so I would assume/ hope are not just spouting audiophile mythology. If you don't believe them, may I ask why you've bought a Carbon? :)

Maki

I am using 353X with SR-009. Currently trying equalizing to Harman with oratory1990's settings. I listen to about half the maximum volume on the amp.

The "better bass" claims appear to be expounded by two of the "High Wizards" of the Stax mafia, Kevin Gilmore and spritzer, who do have a scientific background and so I would assume/ hope are not just spouting audiophile mythology. If you don't believe them, may I ask why you've bought a Carbon? :)
Built not bought, it is objectively one of the most powerful amps on the market that is for sure. Do I need it? No, but it was fun to build and sounds transparent.

garbulky

Major Contributor
... maybe you should try some phones you can use without chains ...
My preference is to use without eq. I think it's ridiculous we have to spend so much and then drop more money essentially jerry rigging the thing. Having said that, the HD800S is just soo much better with eq. Like it's not even close.

Top Bottom