• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
i tried sonarworks and honestly sound terrible weird.

with my headphone I remember that it sound very bright without body, just a big meh.
Did you try my EQ?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Did you try my EQ?
oh sorry but i'm not referring to HD800, i just use my headphone ( which is not the hd800 ) and i don't like the sonarworks thing, my frind doesn't like too

These users above are talking about sonar

svenz

oh sorry but i'm not referring to HD800, i just use my headphone ( which is not the hd800 ) and i don't like the sonarworks thing, my frind doesn't like too

These users above are talking about sonar

Use whatever you like. The end result is your enjoyment right? If it means buying vacuum tube amps and analogue record players, then go for it. For me it means trying to reproduce sound as close as possible to what is intended, so EQ is a good thing.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Use whatever you like. The end result is your enjoyment right? If it means buying vacuum tube amps and analogue record players, then go for it. For me it means trying to reproduce sound as close as possible to what is intended, so EQ is a good thing.
yep EQ is my END GAME, i use EQ in my speakers and my headphones, there is so much good things about a well EQ specially if you adapt the EQ to your exact liking, por example i'm sensity at 5khz~6khz~7khz so i tend to turn down a little bit that point, i'm young i don't know if that is important for that..

svenz

yep EQ is my END GAME, i use EQ in my speakers and my headphones, there is so much good things about a well EQ specially if you adapt the EQ to your exact liking, por example i'm sensity at 5khz~6khz~7khz so i tend to turn down a little bit that point, i'm young i don't know if that is important for that..

Yeah makes sense. Did you try turning down the high end in sonarworks? It has a "tilt" control for that, as sensitivity to the higher peaks change based on age. With parametric eq profiles you can tweak it appropriately too. Similarly with bass - some of the studies oratory links show a huge variance on how individuals perceive bass on the same pair of headphones, as much as 10dB I think, so it has to be tweaked. I bump it up a lot on HD800s :D.

imagidominc

Forum Donor
I would say the HD800 are the best headphones ever.

It's hard to argue with that statement with the HD800 on my head rn listening to A Perfect Circle *drool*. I would say out of the many headphones I've tried, they offer the most spacious and detailed quality. With EQ, they're even better. That being said, I feel like my other headphones have their places:

Elex (for when I really want to BUMP. Loud, authoritative, but still detailed, like playing through really good car speakers)
400i (sparkly but cramped)
770 (lol I don't use this much... I should try some EQ then get back to y'all)
650 (well rounded sound but maybe a bit too relaxed)
600 (Honestly my favorite sound signature ever. Detailed and neutral)

bgalakazam

Hi forum, any suggestions on a typical 10 band equalizer as built in most music players? Anytime I try to eliminate the 6K peak by adjusting the 4K and 8K it degrades the audio. I tried the Sonarworks software and didn't really think it sounded better (sounded different). Tried foobar2000's EQ and it sounded horrible when I tried to mirror the first post. I use the Music app (think iTunes) for sorting my library, but can switch to a different player if it provides a better equalizer. I can't justify monthly subscriptions, however. Any suggestions for anybody using a 10 band EQ with the HD800S?

FLAC (and the occasional 320Kbs mp3), MacOS, Magni 3, Modi 3.

P.S. I had Grado PS500e and loved the sound out of box without any EQ. HD800S just sounds a little disappointing for triple the cost.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You will need either parametric EQ or you can remove the treble peak using a passive filter.

Feelas

Hi forum, any suggestions on a typical 10 band equalizer as built in most music players? Anytime I try to eliminate the 6K peak by adjusting the 4K and 8K it degrades the audio. I tried the Sonarworks software and didn't really think it sounded better (sounded different). Tried foobar2000's EQ and it sounded horrible when I tried to mirror the first post. I use the Music app (think iTunes) for sorting my library, but can switch to a different player if it provides a better equalizer. I can't justify monthly subscriptions, however. Any suggestions for anybody using a 10 band EQ with the HD800S?

FLAC (and the occasional 320Kbs mp3), MacOS, Magni 3, Modi 3.

P.S. I had Grado PS500e and loved the sound out of box without any EQ. HD800S just sounds a little disappointing for triple the cost.
Use EqualizerAPO (with Peace or without), since it works as a system-wide EQ.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I need a MacOS solution.

Any player recommendations with a parametric EQ that don't use subscription model?

Don't have any apple products nor know of this.
Have a look at this great post

bgalakazam

SoundSource with the built in Apple one is working out, thanks. Now to fine-tune the EQ between Amir's preset and the one at AutoEq.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just EQ the 7kHz peak -4.5dB (play with the Q)
Maybe add a little subbass (20Hz +5d).
Don't forget to set the 'pre-amp gain' to -5dB.
Personally I would not EQ the 4kHz peak upwards.

There are passive ways to remove the treble peak as well. No EQ needed and no treble peak either.

bgalakazam

I will stay with Amir's EQ for a few days to see how it goes. If I have to rate what I tried:
Amir's >= Stock > Oratory1990 > AutoEq.

Thanks for the help. I also got SoundSource

Top Bottom