• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD660S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 63 34.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 18 9.7%

• Total voters

ichliebes

Hey Duke, thank you so much for your reply.

I see this is Parametric EQ settings for HD650 to Harman Target (from AutoEQ, with measurements from Oratory1990).

I was wondering If I could make 660s sound similar to what 650 did after equalizedwill try to figure it out.

My main problem with 660s is that it sounds not smooth enough, sometimes the high frequency sounds like broken glass... And overall the bass sounds strange.

Update: just find out I can use autoeq.py to make a headphone sound like another. Will try it tomorrow.
Tried that "Using Sound Signatures" feature of autoeq.py, the result is not satisfying.

Good news is, I reinstalled the earpads of 650 and two channels are now balanced. Still can't choose between 650 and 660S cause after more listening, I feel like they have both advantages and disadvantages.

DUKE-DUKE

Tried that "Using Sound Signatures" feature of autoeq.py, the result is not satisfying.

Good news is, I reinstalled the earpads of 650 and two channels are now balanced. Still can't choose between 650 and 660S cause after more listening, I feel like they have both advantages and disadvantages.
Hello.

I tried equalizations both of models of the same brand as my headphones and of different brands and models that had nothing to do with the brand of my headphones, so it's just a matter of trying presets until you find the one you like the most.

I'm glad the new ear pads did a good job.

Getting used to the sound of a headphone is a process in which you should not be in a hurry, nor should you become obsessed with it.

Headphone manufacturers make a living out of selling us the same product over and over again by modifying the look and sound signature, and the tactic almost always works.

Equalizing the headphones to the taste of each one they finish the hypnotic business that they have mounted.

This is my subjective opinion.

Regards.

AML

I had these for a while, but found them to be too veiled for my taste. Good mids though. I replaced them with Focal Clears (non MG) which have better sound stage and clarity but still maintain that intimacy of the HD660s and great mids.

ichliebes

And I returned 650... Cause 660 has more clarity and better soundstage. For sound signature, I prefer 650 more. Is there some headphones with the clarity of 660 but sound like 650? I read about R70x but it seems like it's fragile.

Limopard

Nice headphone, but a tad below my favourites 600/650 (for me). Plus: The 560s is a strong contender, when a lower impedance is needed - for a much lower price. It looks and feels less fancy, though.

lc155

It's like phone reviews, where people say "this isn't much different to the last phone". Yes, you're not supposed to buy every phone a manufacturer brings out! I bought this to replace my HD 595. It's a bit better than those headphones!

How long were you using those 595s for? Were they even intact by that point or held together by tape?

threni

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How long were you using those 595s for? Were they even intact by that point or held together by tape?
About 12 years. They had some cosmetic damage (the headband padding had some cracks) and the plastic where you alter the size had a hairline crack on each side, and the earpads were worn and rather flat, so I sorted that out. Structurally they're fine and they sound as good as when I bought them. I actually use them more now than ever before; I bought HD 660S and was going to move that system around the house as it's a pretty small setup but that got old pretty quick so I created a second tiny portable moOode system using a Pi Zero and the Apple USB dongle and use that with the 595s. They're great.

Top Bottom