• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD660S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 73 28.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 125 49.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 39 15.3%

• Total voters

aliaksej

The pads are angled and are thicker at the back than the front. You may need to remove and rotate one of your pads by 180 degrees.

*edit* Actually, i'm not sure that come angled, mine are now after 3 years of use! I have the <2021 pads, so I think the front part of the pads has compressed more than the back. Comparison of older vs newer pads here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-sennheiser-pads-measured.24845/

Video showing how to remove and replace the ear pads here...
Great thanks for advice! Swapped pads, positioned correctly. Pads are swapping soo easy. My phones became as comfortable as the pair I initially returned to Thomann a month ago )))

Such comfortable phones, such good sound. Initially they seemed too dark, but after equalising treble I understood that I need equaliser really rarely. And can easily live without equalisation at all.

Tallulah

hello, audioscientists. Bought HD 660s from Thomann. Wonderful headphones. But noticed that pads are differently installed and are of different height from different sides. Is that normal for new headphones?
The pads shouldn't be angled by default. As a user with glasses, this looks like these pads were used by someone with glasses for a month or two and one of them was rotated 180º after being used. Are you sure these weren't "B-Stock" (returned by another buyer)?

By the fact that one is rotated my theory is that someone bought these headphones, changed their old pads by the new ones, and returned the headphones with the old pads. They could do that because Sennheiser pads are not cheap (40€). But it's strange anyways because these don't look very used, probably a couple of months or so. At least that's my theory.

Last edited:

aliaksej

I think pads shouldn't be angled by default. As a user with glasses, this looks like these pads were used by someone with glasses for a month or two and one of them was rotated 180º after being used. Are you sure these weren't "B-Stock" (returned by another buyer)?

By the fact that one is rotated my theory is that someone bought these headphones, changes their old pads by the new ones, and returned the headphones with the old pads. They could do that because Sennheiser pads are not cheap (40€). But these don't look very used, probably a couple of months or so. At least that's my theory.
The box had so seal. When I opened a box, it was not accurate inside. I didn't care about it, but the fact is. Have written to Thomann. It's interesting what they will respond.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The pads are not supposed to be angled. If they were there would be a slot somewhere so they can only be mounted in one position or at least marked L and R.
The same mounting method has been used ever since the HD580 first saw daylight and the recent HD660S2 still has the exact same pad mounting.

Tallulah

The box had so seal. When I opened a box, it was not accurate inside. I didn't care about it, but the fact is. Have written to Thomann. It's interesting what they will respond.
If I remember correctly Sennheiser packaging does not have any kind of seal or adhesive that could suggest if the box was opened before. But anyways the pads do look slightly used. You can check an unboxing on YouTube to see if the cable was not stored as it should be. Anyways I guess Thomann will just replace your unit if it was not sold as "B-Stock".

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hello, audioscientists. Bought HD 660s from Thomann. Wonderful headphones. But noticed that pads are differently installed and are of different height from different sides. Is that normal for new headphones?
One of the pads looks slightly worn - the one on the right in the rear pic. So either you've worn them for a while and they've changed shape or maybe they're B-stock like another poster suggested. And as solderdude says, they're not angled pads on the HD660S.

aliaksej

One of the pads looks slightly worn - the one on the right in the rear pic. So either you've worn them for a while and they've changed shape or maybe they're B-stock like another poster suggested. And as solderdude says, they're not angled pads on the HD660S.

How can they be worn non-symetrically? It's definitely impossible. When I noticed the problem with pads width, one pad was worn on one side and another one was worn on another side ))) I used headphones for about 5 hours after unpacking. Also there was some dust inside the box and things were placed inaccurately.

Zensō

Major Contributor
How can they be worn non-symetrically? It's definitely impossible. When I noticed the problem with pads width, one pad was worn on one side and another one was worn on another side ))) I used headphones for about 5 hours after unpacking. Also there was some dust inside the box and things were placed inaccurately.
It sounds to me like a return. Perhaps one pad was replaced after the headphones were returned. I’d ask for a replacement.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know, but as acbarn says above me, it's best to do something about it and get a replacement headphone seeing as you bought this new and not used.

isostasy

They don't necessarily compress symmetrically. My right pad has sort of spilled out the back whilst the left is compressed more inwards.

From your pics and description I agree with the others... some use and maybe some swapping seems to have gone on.

Top Bottom