• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the screenshot. Yeah, none of those are showing. Is there a file to import for all those or did it come with the app? I just downloaded an application file and moved to applications folder.

It comes prebuilt into the app, so there is nothing further required.

D700

It comes prebuilt into the app, so there is nothing further required.
Here's what I see. Its almost like there's a list somewhere that I need to import, because its just empty, except for option to add other profile...

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 10.34.52 AM.png

D700

Oh, I figured it out...I'm not "adding profile"...I'm "Select Profile"...when I searched there it all came up. thanks for posting screen shot, that's what explained it. Thanks very much. Sounds great.

D700

...and like wow, Neil Young is performing in my head at 24/192, that really dialed in the sound.

Streamc

Why reference curve is not flat?O
I use EQ with them but not to make reference curve. I donwloaded Amir`s settings and I hear not difference. I use my settings in foobar but not to make it like reference curve but to made it like flat line.

Thomas_bati

A change that I have seen with my hands is the different position of the left and right symbols. I ordered both HD650 and HD6XX in June. The HD650 have the symbols inside, the HD6XX have the symbols outside. Both made in Romania. From the Sennheiser US site you can see the difference. Anyone understand something?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The new HD 650 version of 2019 has the letters inside. Now my doubt is why they haven't updated the HD6XXs as well?

All the old chassis have to go somewhere .....

Robin L

Master Contributor
The new HD 650 version of 2019 has the letters inside. Now my doubt is why they haven't updated the HD6XXs as well?
For one thing, it's real easy to tell left from right because of the markings inside the headband: the side that says "Massdrop" is the right driver, the left side has the serial number.

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In my opinion, the HD650 (just like the 600), is one of the most overrated headphones on the market.
The wearing comfort is terrible.
The resolution is incredibly poor.
(Adjusted according to Harman).

I will never understand why these models are so popular...

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion, the HD650 (just like the 600), is one of the most overrated headphones on the market.

I think there are personal factors to be taken into account, fit will not be good for everyone (so the comfort variable). I think resolution of the HD600 is very good, but they're the only headphone I've tried so far that I prefer with no EQ apart from a 75Hz +3dB Low Shelf (Q0.7)......for all my other headphones I prefer a Harman Curve EQ. I find resolution/detail retrieval of the HD600 to be very good, same level as my K702 (once K702 EQ'd to Harman Curve)......my other headphones fall somewhat behind those two re resolution/detail retrieval by varying degrees.

jae

Major Contributor

They were the best of the bunch at the time they were released, and for many, many years later. Comfort is largely subjective/personal but I would argue that they were still the most comfortable compared to the competition. I'd say they still do some things better than many newer headphones. There are much worse headphones you can buy that cost more than $200, some even approaching $600-1000. There were and still are a very limited amount of open headphones with dynamic drivers that sound better.

MayaTlab

I'd say they still do some things better than many newer headphones.

I'd argue that they still do a lot of things that are measurably better than most newer headphones, regardless of price. There aren't a lot of headphones besides the HD6... series with that combination of excellent channel matching, seemingly decent sample variation, very low amount intrinsic resonances / nulls, vanishingly low THD past 200Hz, all the while having a fairly sensible FR curve to start with.
For me that makes them highly PEQable.
Dekoni's pads can solve what I enjoy the least about them, that is that my ear lobes touch the foam above the drivers. They turn their sound for the worse, but at least the Elite Velour pads I'm using don't change any of the attributes above, and since I only use them PEQed...

jeffbook

Thanks for your opinion. But it is just that with no backup data. If your are trolling, you got what you wanted......

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is this baseless insinuation?
Yeah, it's fine, you don't have to like them, just when you come out with very very strong negative statements on them "The wearing comfort is terrible. The resolution is incredibly poor." then that flies very strongly against both the measurements of headphone as well as most people's listening impressions, so generally people gonna put in their own true reflections of how they find the headphone to counter what you say. It doesn't really matter much whether you're trolling or not.

roskodan

In defense of his statement, it did warn us that he will "never understand".

It really depends on what one has been listening before switching to the HD650. Hearing is like sight, looking at light makes shade darker while looking at shade makes light brighter. Color perception adapts as well.

Bow_Wazoo

At that time I still had a 400i for direct comparison.
Both were operated according to Oratory's EQ settings

Top Bottom