• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

F1308

Major Contributor
Personally I haven't found anything that I would like more than my HD 6XX. HD 600 is close but sounds a bit artificial and ear straining. HD 6XX just sounds like I expect things to sound and "the feel" is right - how it creates the sound stage, depth, position and all. It "sounds full" and can layers voices really nicely.

A new entry to be tested...

https://m.thomannmusic.com/hedd_heddphone.htm

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'be been playing with Amir's PEQ values for the HD650. I must say that my HD650 sounds much better than my own PEQ settings (more "bassy" for those tunes that have bass/thumps).

So how about distortion in the bass? Can you try these at high volume using the PEQ? I have no idea since I have not used PEQ for this headphone when I have tried it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does the HD650 play the Terje Isungset - fading sun (example in thread) cleanly when equalised according to your suggestions?
Yes. I did have to increase headroom to -3 dB as otherwise it was digitally clipping resulting in a bit of static. Once there, it sounds glorious with EQ. Without it, the sub bass at the start is quite faint. With it, it is authoritative but without being overbearing. And yes, it is causing my ear lobes to resonate a bit.

Wonderful track it is by the way. RME ADI-2 DAC spectrum analyzer shows massive peaking in spectrum from 25 Hz on. It is interesting in that it has this with much less in the rest of the spectrum, making it even more important to reproduce these low tones correctly.

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Apologies in advance if this has already been said, but what headphone stand do you use for the review photos Amir?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. I did have to increase headroom to -3 dB as otherwise it was digitally clipping resulting in a bit of static. Once there, it sounds glorious with EQ. Without it, the sub bass at the start is quite faint. With it, it is authoritative but without being overbearing. And yes, it is causing my ear lobes to resonate a bit.

Wonderful track it is by the way. RME ADI-2 DAC spectrum analyzer shows massive peaking in spectrum from 25 Hz on. It is interesting in that it has this with much less in the rest of the spectrum, making it even more important to reproduce these low tones correctly.

Thanks for info!

Newman

Major Contributor
None that I have published. But I have tested akg k371 and it does that.
Interesting. I see the company blurb says, “K371s are precision-engineered to match AKG’s Reference Response acoustic target to reproduce natural, balanced audio....”

I guess I am surprised that if it can be done, and at a reasonable price like the K371, then why is it not more common with the more expensive and reputable brands like you have been publishing of late?
:rolleyes:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor

dfuller

Major Contributor
K371s are precision-engineered to match AKG’s Reference Response acoustic target
Considering AKG have been part of Harman for quite a long time (since 1994), it's not surprising to me in the slightest that they follow the Harman curve.

Robin L

Master Contributor
My headphone stand, FWIW:

IMG_20201226_154051279.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A quick question to @amirm
So.... I spent half a day on this and nothing was making sense. So I took out the headphone out of the equation and crazy distortion numbers still come out once I eq things in Roon! Somehow the EQ is breaking the CHIRP signal confusing the AP. At least that is my best guess right now.

Have to start over with a new method.....

liquidlino

I have these headphones, on an Asus stx essence (that Amirs measurements say is trash, but in reality it sounds fine, but am looking at switching to a DX3 pro just for a change and something to compare with). My experience has been just as Amir has found, bass is attenuated, great mid and needs a bit of extra on the high end to bring it to life. My main gripe with these headphones is complete "three blob" soundstage. There's no finesse, instruments are either centre, left or right. It's so blobby that binaural computer game effects simply don't work. I also can't use them for mixing music production for the same reason. So whilst they are lovely sound, really comfy, I find I hardly ever use my hd650 headphones.

the_brunx

when will topping or smsl etc replicate Smyth Realiser A16 type of technology for 299$? Lol

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
1.5% THD to 50% is not a lot? the hifiman h400i out perform this headphone, it is planar too.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Glad to see you giving props to Nils Frahm, one of my favs.
If you have not seen him live please do. Quite a beautiful show. I saw him one time in a tiny venue with maybe 150 people. Front and center seats. Beautiful.
Need to borrow a set of these cans to test that bass distortion. Paying a lot of attention to that stuff lately and man does my playback sound clean. I think I am at the point where no bass is better than moderately/heavily distorted, (take that comment with an amount reasonableness of course) with these cans and that eq I can really pay attention to that. Hmm...

https://tidal.com/album/114970570

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
1.5% THD to 50% is not a lot?
It is not 50% or anything close to it. That measurement is in error as I noted in the review and later posts. Working on a way to fix it.

Hernanaqp25

I've got the Drop 6XX/Topping E/L30 combo. Closest to Stax earspeaker's overall sound I've experienced of any dynamic phone. Hopefully Amir will measure the Stax Amp/Energizer/Earspeaker set as a combo instead of measuring the amp separately.
Do you use any equalization ?, I acquired these days the same configuration, should I use them with apo eq? and what variable should I change to improve the sound, I'm a newbie, excuse me)

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I usually want the most frequency range I can get without problems, either electronic or audible. Headphones generally have less distortion than speakers, so I am going to use fewer high pass filters. If a headphone or speaker has audible distortion or other problems, then I will correct it, but if it is still performing well enough, then I will take the bass extension.
Problem is even the HD800S has audible distortion in its bass in direct comparison with the HD800 though- humans get spoiled easily :p

Top Bottom