• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD600 Review (Headphone)

netforce

There is an error in the 580 and 650 pdf's.

The credits under the pad measurements went to:
Red BS 650 New Pads vs Green BS 650 Old Pads - Credit to Psalmanazar on SBAF
Psalmanazar, however, had nothing to do with this and is not the creator of this plot. I am.. solderdude on DIYAH
Perhaps you could forward this info to the author ?

I also measured new vs old pads.
Got it, let him know. Correction should be made soon.

And nice write up! Didn't see that till you pointed it out. Here were our measurements personally with the EARS:
3UN0jv1.png

I was debating about posting at all since the EARS above 3k was super funky.

And then the pads again, fresh ones. Matte left, glossy right:
27p04Pe.jpg

3NcYIwO.jpg

One thing me and the friend noticed was how much harder it was to apply the new pads to the 580 we used to measure them on vs the older one.

Overall just doing a test between the matte and glossy on my system, it sounds so relatively close between each I would struggle personally to pick out the two in blind a/b test myself.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got it, let him know. Correction should be made soon.

And nice write up! Didn't see that till you pointed it out. Here were our measurements personally with the EARS:
3UN0jv1.png

I was debating about posting at all since the EARS above 3k was super funky.

And then the pads again, fresh ones. Matte left, glossy right:
27p04Pe.jpg

3NcYIwO.jpg

One thing me and the friend noticed was how much harder it was to apply the new pads to the 580 we used to measure them on vs the older one.

Overall just doing a test between the matte and glossy on my system, it sounds so relatively close between each I would struggle personally to pick out the two in blind a/b test myself.
That was just one measurement you did then to show the differences between the pads? How do you know the difference is not down to placement position of the headphone on the measurement apparatus? (We discussed it before, if the measurement is not repeatable between different mountings, ie taking the headphone off the measurement apparatus and then putting it back on, then the only way to compare the two pads would be to do multiple measurements and then compare averages).

ApexEight

New 600 Series pads in the house

QbhwVxI.jpg

Left Old Matte 600 Series Pads, Right New Glossy 600 Series Pads

Tnw73ZC.jpg

Left Old (Used) vs Right New (Unused)

Little misleading as my left pad is used vs the new pad is brand new.

Fc087Ao.jpg

And the packaging.

Hanging out with a friend tomorrow who has brand new unused 600 series pads and a few variety of 580/600/650 plus an EARS to use for measurements.
Did you order from Sennheiser directly or? Wondering which version Amazon is now carrying.

PeterMac

I had HD600 and HD650 in same time. They are not same, HD600 is better in sound for me, more neutral with better cleaner crystal clear highs.
HD650 sound muffled on trebles highs, EQ do not help them.
Overal HD600 sounds perfect in every way.

Alan S

1. There are still differences between measurement and human body. For example, GARS doesn't have small hair like human ear, and hair can affect the sound.
2. Frequency response is not the only thing that explains "warm" or "crystal", the length of time the sound remains also affects the sense of listening.

Limopard

Did you order from Sennheiser directly or? Wondering which version Amazon is now carrying.
Sennheiser in Germany has the new pads. Don't hear a significant different, but I hope the new ones stay in shape a little longer.

Leiker535

Hey people, I don't know if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it with the search function, but that is the EQ amirm uses with the HD 650s?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey people, I don't know if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it with the search function, but that is the EQ amirm uses with the HD 650s?
The software is Roon if I have understood the question correctly.

Pepper81

Hello Guys.
I'm venturing into the world of liquid music and for some time now I wanna create a desktop HEADPHONES system in order to listen to lossless music.. I would like to gather opinions on how to move in the future regarding any purchases.

As for headphones, I have pretty clear ideas about what kind of sound I’m looking for. A high impedance open headset with neutrality features, tonal coerency and balance..
I am seriously considering buying the Sennhesier HD600.. If I decide to take HD 600, I also have to consider buying a good SS amp (no valves) that pairs well with this headset.. A powerful amplifier of good construction, neutral and transparent tone could be a good solution for you?

At the moment on top of my preferences there are these two models:. LAKE PEOPLE G100. LAKE PEOPLE G111

If I have correctly interpreted the specifications, the Lake People G 111 should have no difficulty in piloting the HD600.. The HD600 are high impedance headphones who needs a lot of "current". The Lake People has surplus power and voltage (it has a toroidal transformer powered) .
Output power 300 ohm-900 mw. Balanced/unbalanced outputs. Too bad for the lack of an "external" selector to adjust the gain.

Did someone try it coupled with an HD600?

Thanks To all

artheo

I think I can help you with your choice because I owned Lake People G103s which specs 850mW at 300ohm, very similar to G111.
I will tell you that it could not drive my HD600 at full potential! I understood that when I replaced it with SMSL SP200 THX amp.
SMSL SP200 is much better in clarity and dynamics! I felt bass punch and driving power that I didn't know before (with G103).
G103s had more than enough volume for HD600 but dynamics is another thing that I could not feel with G103.
Of course I immediately sold the G103s and never regretted because SMSL SP200 is a much better amp in every way!

Personally, I would not recommend the Lake People amp you plan to buy. It's quite expensive for today's market and very questionnable if it offers anything better than a Topping or an SMSL headphone amp. In your place, I would choose among products that have been measured and reviewed by ASR.

Also buy a good DAC, it offers more improvement than most people think.

Hope I helped you.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Guys.
I'm venturing into the world of liquid music and for some time now I wanna create a desktop HEADPHONES system in order to listen to lossless music.. I would like to gather opinions on how to move in the future regarding any purchases.

As for headphones, I have pretty clear ideas about what kind of sound I’m looking for. A high impedance open headset with neutrality features, tonal coerency and balance..
I am seriously considering buying the Sennhesier HD600.. If I decide to take HD 600, I also have to consider buying a good SS amp (no valves) that pairs well with this headset.. A powerful amplifier of good construction, neutral and transparent tone could be a good solution for you?

At the moment on top of my preferences there are these two models:. LAKE PEOPLE G100. LAKE PEOPLE G111

If I have correctly interpreted the specifications, the Lake People G 111 should have no difficulty in piloting the HD600.. The HD600 are high impedance headphones who needs a lot of "current". The Lake People has surplus power and voltage (it has a toroidal transformer powered) .
Output power 300 ohm-900 mw. Balanced/unbalanced outputs. Too bad for the lack of an "external" selector to adjust the gain.

Thanks To all
Make it easy- get the Drop THX 789 if still on sale for $200. All the amp you will ever need.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Hello Guys.

Thanks To all

HD600 has positives (FR accurate, time tested and comfortable for long sessions), but it has some problems. Without EQ there is little low end, so if you are listening to modern bass heavy music it will not do that great. EQ helps, but it's not on the same level as planars. Also, the soundstage is quite narrow for an open headphone - this is relative, so take it as subjective opinion.

I'm using Topping E30 dac and L30 amp with it (highly recommended on ASR), don't have experience with Lake People.
If I was buying dac/amp today, I would go for Topping E50/L50.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The HD600 are high impedance headphones who needs a lot of "current"

HD600 require very little current, they require a somewhat higher voltage than most headphones.
The L30, Atom, Schiit IEMagni all can provide more power than the HD600's power rating.

Max power rating of the HD600 is 200mW continuous so 500mW peak power with music is all that is needed to blow your ears out (128dB SPL).

Pepper81

I think I can help you with your choice because I owned Lake People G103s which specs 850mW at 300ohm, very similar to G111.
I will tell you that it could not drive my HD600 at full potential! I understood that when I replaced it with SMSL SP200 THX amp.
SMSL SP200 is much better in clarity and dynamics! I felt bass punch and driving power that I didn't know before (with G103).
G103s had more than enough volume for HD600 but dynamics is another thing that I could not feel with G103.
Of course I immediately sold the G103s and never regretted because SMSL SP200 is a much better amp in every way!

Personally, I would not recommend the Lake People amp you plan to buy. It's quite expensive for today's market and very questionnable if it offers anything better than a Topping or an SMSL headphone amp. In your place, I would choose among products that have been measured and reviewed by ASR.

Also buy a good DAC, it offers more improvement than most people think.

Hope I helped you.

Thanks for your reply
I admit that your statement confuses me a little
Based on Graphs and Tables HD 600 to reach 120 db (very Loud) needs 199/200 mw and a 7.74 voltage
Considering Lake People has 800/900 mw at 300 OHM, i Thought it's enough to drive HD600 to the maximum of its possibilities
What you tell me makes me rethink everything again:)

Pepper81

HD600 has positives (FR accurate, time tested and comfortable for long sessions), but it has some problems. Without EQ there is little low end, so if you are listening to modern bass heavy music it will not do that great. EQ helps, but it's not on the same level as planars. Also, the soundstage is quite narrow for an open headphone - this is relative, so take it as subjective opinion.

I'm using Topping E30 dac and L30 amp with it (highly recommended on ASR), don't have experience with Lake People.
If I was buying dac/amp today, I would go for Topping E50/L50.
Thank you Bro for your reply

My future Audio chain should be this:.
SOURCE:Xduuo 10 Tii. DAC liquid music turntable.
HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER:Lake People G111.
HEADPHONE:Senn HD600.
CABLES:Coaxial Connection Liquid Music Turntable>DAC. RCA DAC Connection>Headphone Amp. For the moment I would miss the balanced connection and the Headphone re-cabling

As I structured the audio chain, so Headphone+Headphone Amplifier, I expect a sound neither too hot nor too cold.. The HD 600 is a headphone that has excellent mid-range, highs not emphasized that does not fatigue the listening experience and bass present, but little extended and articulated.. With a proper amplifier, I might perhaps get a little more "punch" on the bass and a little more detail on the treble.. Now, my fear is this: if I add an analytical and detailed DAC to the chain, is it not that I’m going to alter the tonal balance?

Choosing the DAC might not be that easy.. I have not yet set a budget, but the choice will almost certainly fall on a mid-range model (below 500 euros). One of the largest manufacturers of conversion chips is ESS, which with its SABRE 9038 models etc is present in many Dacs.. It is often said that the Chipset itself says nothing about the quality of the DAC, which depends on the implementation (the circuit) in which the chip has been integrated and the output stage. My question is this: Every chip (Sabre, Burr Brown, Wolfson) has its own "signature" or not?. Let me explain: The Chip Sabre gives a more analytical sound (upper range more prominent) than a Burr Brown?.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Thank you Bro for your reply

My future Audio chain should be this:.
SOURCE:Xduuo 10 Tii. DAC liquid music turntable.
HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER:Lake People G111.
HEADPHONE:Senn HD600.
CABLES:Coaxial Connection Liquid Music Turntable>DAC. RCA DAC Connection>Headphone Amp. For the moment I would miss the balanced connection and the Headphone re-cabling

As I structured the audio chain, so Headphone+Headphone Amplifier, I expect a sound neither too hot nor too cold.. The HD 600 is a headphone that has excellent mid-range, highs not emphasized that does not fatigue the listening experience and bass present, but little extended and articulated.. With a proper amplifier, I might perhaps get a little more "punch" on the bass and a little more detail on the treble.. Now, my fear is this: if I add an analytical and detailed DAC to the chain, is it not that I’m going to alter the tonal balance?

Choosing the DAC might not be that easy.. I have not yet set a budget, but the choice will almost certainly fall on a mid-range model (below 500 euros). One of the largest manufacturers of conversion chips is ESS, which with its SABRE 9038 models etc is present in many Dacs.. It is often said that the Chipset itself says nothing about the quality of the DAC, which depends on the implementation (the circuit) in which the chip has been integrated and the output stage. My question is this: Every chip (Sabre, Burr Brown, Wolfson) has its own "signature" or not?. Let me explain: The Chip Sabre gives a more analytical sound (upper range more prominent) than a Burr Brown?.

If the implementation is correct, all modern dacs shouldn't have any signature on their own (no matter the chip inside). Same applies to amps. They are a transparent source and that is how it should be. The most colored part of the chain (bass, middrange and treble) will come from the headphone - and you can easily correct that with software EQ for said headphone (on PC, not sure about portable media players).
Don't know why people are trying to EQ headphones with dacs like there is no alternative:)

To me HD600 isn't properly balanced. Mids and highs are fine, but relative to lows it all falls out of balance. This becomes especially apparent when switching to other headphone (EQed Audeze iSine20 in my case).

Bob-23

Lake People
proxy-image

If longevity and servicability is important for you - for me it is - Lake People is a good choice: good and solid throught-hole components, a good Alps potentiometer, socketed opamps, a solid enclosure... Such a device can last for many years, as opposed to all that throw-away stuff. I don't see why such an amp should not be capable of driving the HD600. I drive the HD600 with simple O2s, comfortably.

Pepper81

HD600 require very little current, they require a somewhat higher voltage than most headphones.
The L30, Atom, Schiit IEMagni all can provide more power than the HD600's power rating.

Max power rating of the HD600 is 200mW continuous so 500mW peak power with music is all that is needed to blow your ears out (128dB SPL).
Yes, you’re right, I didn’t quite understand...The most important thing is the Voltage yeah...What do you think it's enough in order to drive correctrly HD 600?12/15/20 v?

Pepper81

The most important thing is the Voltage yeah...What do you think it's
proxy-image

If longevity and servicability is important for you - for me it is - Lake People is a good choice: good and solid throught-hole components, a good Alps potentiometer, socketed opamps, a solid enclosure... Such a device can last for many years, as opposed to all that throw-away stuff. I don't see why such an amp should not be capable of driving the HD600. I drive the HD600 with simple O2s, comfortably.

It's a G111 Lake People?:)
You uuse it paired with Sennhesier HD600?

Top Bottom