• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD600 2019 Edition

Southall-1998

Just asking out of curiosity.

Has anyone compared the newer Romania made HD600 to original Ireland made HD600? If so, did both versions sound closely identical?

S.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just placed an order for the new HD600 today, but I don't have the old HD 600. In fact, I started a thread today on this topic, I didn't realise you had already created one. (This is mine: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iser-hd600-vs-the-old-sennheiser-hd600.14668/, but I do ask a few more/different questions there too).

From research I've done I've found out there have been some small revisions of drivers in the HD600 over the years, different colours of the drivers, and slightly different look, but I really haven't found much info on it. So I guess it's possible that the HD600 varies slightly depending which version you got, and this was even prior to the newly 2019 launched HD600 edition. My overall intuition is that the different HD600 would all sound very similar, but I do know that old worn pads will change the frequency response vs new unworn pads.......but this is part of the normal "breaking in" phenomenon. I want to use the Oratory1990 EQ that he did for the HD600, so I'm hoping that the new version is not different to the old version in terms of frequency response. If I had to place a bet, I would say they're gonna be the same, but that's just placing a bet!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to your thoughts.

S.
Sure, they're arriving next week, so I'll post what I think of them with & without Oratory1990 EQ, but I don't have the old version of the HD600 to compare, so it's not really answering our question of whether the new HD600 is different to the old HD600. I'm flirting with the idea of sending both my AKG K702 and the HD600 (once I've worn in the earpads) to Oratory1990 for testing....he lives in Austria I found out today so postage wouldn't be horrendously expensive. Although I might not bother doing that if the HD600 sounds absolutely fantastic with his current HD600 EQ, but we'll see come next week.

OP
Southall-1998

Southall-1998

Sure, they're arriving next week, so I'll post what I think of them with & without Oratory1990 EQ, but I don't have the old version of the HD600 to compare, so it's not really answering our question of whether the new HD600 is different to the old HD600. I'm flirting with the idea of sending both my AKG K702 and the HD600 (once I've worn in the earpads) to Oratory1990 for testing....he lives in Austria I found out today so postage wouldn't be horrendously expensive. Although I might not bother doing that if the HD600 sounds absolutely fantastic with his current HD600 EQ, but we'll see come next week.

No rush, take your time.

Have you tried asking over on Head-Fi, if anyone did comparisons on new 600's vs original?

S.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No rush, take your time.

Have you tried asking over on Head-Fi, if anyone did comparisons on new 600's vs original?

S.
I'm not on there. Did you look over there yet?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have tried looking, no luck yet. There are so many pages on the ''HD600 appreciation thread'' which I just gave up quickly.

S.
Someone over on my thread, on the same topic as yours here, they replied with a couple of posts, saying that Sennheiser central store in Germany as well as another large retailer confirmed that the new late 2019 HD600 is the same as the previous versions apart from just the exterior appearance, the sound is the same: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...vs-the-old-sennheiser-hd600.14668/post-455940

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to your thoughts.

S.
Well the HD600 arrived with me on Friday, I've listened to them quite a bit now, both with & without EQ. Stock (without EQ) they sound great and they're the best sounding headphone when stock that I've ever heard (which is not too surprising because they're one of the closest matches to the Harman Curve out of any headphone ever made as proven by measurements although matching the Harman Curve is not the only measure of a capable headphone), but really I've only got NAD HP50 and AKG K702 as worthy comparisons that I own. In it's stock form the midrange and vocals are amazing in terms of the feeling of smoothness and detail & natural feel in that area. Overall tone of them when stock is lacking a little bass somewhere below 100Hz, although I wouldn't describe the headphones as bright.

In terms of EQ, the first thing I tried re EQ was using Oratory1990's Harman Curve EQ, and my first impressions were that overall tonality was perfect now, but I was concerned that there was some missing detail in the gorgeous midrange that I described earlier, and I also thought on first impression that the imaging wasn't as good. I flitted around doing some experiments with my own EQ of just putting in a Low Shelf Boost rather than using any other EQ, and then listening to passages of tracks I know well, which are really well resolved in that midrange (female vocals), and my first conclusions were that bass enhancement is degrading the beautiful midrange characteristics of the midrange....at the time I felt that only a 2dB boost in the bass was possible without changing midrange character. At this point I was creating the impression that I was just gonna use these headphones stock because they sound so good like that. However, I decided to do an experiment on myself & just stick on that Oratory1990 EQ that I tried first, and then decided to let my brain burn into it by listening to some of my favourite tracks in a relaxed but attentive way.....and after a track or two it seemed to just click where the detail that was lost before in my earlier experiments came back, as well as the imaging....I think my brain had to relearn the HRTF created by the headphone & EQ, because historically I've been using my K702's which have my own EQ done as accurately to Harman as I can, and because I think the EQ on my K702's is a bit off I think that created it's own HRTF which I was used to and was burned into my brain......therefore I think it just needed to be re-educated with a proper & more accurate HRTF as described by the Oratory1990 Harman EQ on the HD600. Yep, so I've settled on the Oratory1990 EQ, because it was clear right from the start that it perfected overall tonality and after some brain burn in I'm able to resolve the details and imaging with the same clarity of the stock HD600. It was an interesting little journey overall, I think headphones and how they interact with a person is a complex science that is not fully resolved to the same easy-to-understand perfections of conventional speaker listening....with conventional speaker listening it is better understood as a science, but there's more assumptions and less variables being controlled with headphone design because everyone's own HRTF is different due to shape of head/ears/ear canal which all influence how different headphones sound to a person and even if the Harman Curve is preferred or not...because Harman Curve for headphones has been created with the HRTF of an 'average' person, so it would rarely fit anyone absolutely perfectly but would generally be the best approximation someone could get.......headphones are a bit of an approximation in totality! (Although the plus points for headphones is that for the money I think you get better detail resolution and don't have to suffer in the bass from things like room modes.....at the price of sometimes an 'unnatural' sound which becomes more natural the closer your EQ target curve happens to be to your own personal HRTF).

I'm very happy with the HD600, they'd be at the top of the list of my recommendations.

Last edited:

Bob-23

Great, that you like them! To my ears, they just need a slight reduction in the highs (3-7 kHz), in particular, when listening to Coltrane's or Garebarek's sax; and - with regard to bass: if there's sufficent bass in the recording it's alright for me as it is (and then Oratory1990 can even be a bit to much), but, generally, I like to add some bass. A Baxandall (shelving) eq does a quite good job, too, (with center frequency: 640 Hz, which is flat between 200 Hz and 2,5 KHz; I just built a such one). And did you know, that there exists a special amp, only for the HD600 (and slightly modified for the HD650): the one and only "SeNNator", and, guess who developed it? Of course: Solderdude. Some years ago, I built it, according to his schematics (with a tiny modification): I like the sound of the HD600 on the SeNNator!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b743m62ut9mdsb3/SeNNator_build_tips.pdf/file
A joyful listening!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great, that you like them! To my ears, they just need a slight reduction in the highs (3-7 kHz), in particular, when listening to Coltrane's or Garebarek's sax; and - with regard to bass: if there's sufficent bass in the recording it's alright for me as it is (and then Oratory1990 can even be a bit to much), but, generally, I like to add some bass. A Baxandall (shelving) eq does a quite good job, too, (with center frequency: 640 Hz, which is flat between 200 Hz and 2,5 KHz; I just built a such one). And did you know, that there exists a special amp, only for the HD600 (and slightly modified for the HD650): the one and only "SeNNator", and, guess who developed it? Of course: Solderdude. Some years ago, I built it, according to his schematics (with a tiny modification): I like the sound of the HD600 on the SeNNator!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b743m62ut9mdsb3/SeNNator_build_tips.pdf/file
A joyful listening!
Congrats to you & Solderdude on building a hardware solution for it, and for having the technical know how for how to do that! I'm ok with using software EQ though for my needs, but I'm sure there'd be people that find a hardware solution useful. I see the SeNNator extends the bass flat all the way to 10Hz by adding up to 12dB at 10Hz....do you know how that affects the distortion in that area because that's a big boost and I know from some measurements I've seen that distortion measurements are relatively high in the sub 100Hz area on the HD600. With me using Oratory1990 EQ he boosts the bass there by 5dB and I've not noticed any distortion of bass in listening (not that I'm trained in distortion detection), but you would be more than doubling the amount of energy in that area than even the +5dB boost of Oratory in that area?

Bob-23

Have you taken Oratory's 'EQ curve total' into consideration? A short side-by-side listening comparison doesn't show much of a difference between the two of them, but, having done rigorous A/B-comparisons in the past, I know that the significance of such non-rigorous side-by-side listenings is, well: small, if not: next to zero. You have to level out volume perfectly, and switch by a switch box instantaneously between two sources - anything else is worthless. (But it's a bit to much for me now to do that installation). Nonetheless, I think that elevating bass in the Hd600 can't be had absolutely distortion-free... 10 Hz, 20 Hz is, btw, way beyond my listening, even of 30 Hz I only get an idea of the vibrations if it's fully up. But, I guess, I'm a bit older than you.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you taken Oratory's 'EQ curve total' into consideration? A short side-by-side listening comparison doesn't show much of a difference between the two of them, but, having done rigorous A/B-comparisons in the past, I know that the significance of such non-rigorous side-by-side listenings is, well: small, if not: next to zero. You have to level out volume perfectly, and switch by a switch box instantaneously between two sources - anything else is worthless. (But it's a bit to much for me now to do that installation). Nonetheless, I think that elevating bass in the Hd600 can't be had absolutely distortion-free... 10 Hz, 20 Hz is, btw, way beyond my listening, even of 30 Hz I only get an idea of the vibrations if it's fully up. But, I guess, I'm a bit older than you.
With my NAD HP50 (which is flat to around 10Hz) I can hear 19Hz just barely with test tones at normal listening volumes, also Oratory1990 EQ. Well it's good your side-by-side of the largely boosted bass in the HD600 isn't noticeable in your listening tests there in terms of distortion albeit you're pointing out your 30Hz limitation. How do you mean by taking the whole of Oratory's EQ curve into consideration - you mean have I applied a -5dB preamp to allow for the 5dB boost, yes I can see the whole EQ curve in PEACE and Oratory lists the preamp required anyway, but I don't think you're asking me that? (I also run a High Pass Filter at 12Hz just to start taking out the boost from 20Hz because that's the point at which I don't hear anymore from my NAD HP50 test tone experiments......High Pass Filter maybe in a bid to help clarity in the rest of the range, seems to work in that regard on the HP50).

(I don't hear any bass distortion in the HD600 at +5 dB on the bass, well it's more like +4.5dB because the High Pass Filter doesn't let the Low Shelf get to the maximum).

Last edited:

Bob-23

With my NAD HP50 (which is flat to around 10Hz) I can hear 19Hz just barely with test tones at normal listening volumes, also Oratory1990 EQ. Well it's good your side-by-side of the largely boosted bass in the HD600 isn't noticeable in your listening tests there in terms of distortion albeit you're pointing out your 30Hz limitation. How do you mean by taking the whole of Oratory's EQ curve into consideration - you mean have I applied a -5dB preamp to allow for the 5dB boost, yes I can see the whole EQ curve in PEACE and Oratory lists the preamp required anyway, but I don't think you're asking me that? (I also run a High Pass Filter at 12Hz just to start taking out the boost from 20Hz because that's the point at which I don't hear anymore from my NAD HP50 test tone experiments......High Pass Filter maybe in a bid to help clarity in the rest of the range, seems to work in that regard on the HP50).

(I don't hear any bass distortion in the HD600 at +5 dB on the bass, well it's more like +4.5dB because the High Pass Filter doesn't let the Low Shelf get to the maximum).
I get SeNNator's bass elevation as rather moderate.
There's a difference between Solderdude's and Oratory's HD600-FR-curve, though.
With regard to the corrections: I find with the SeNNator at 20 Hz: + 6 dB; 30 Hz + 3,5 dB; 40 Hz +2 dB. And with Oratory at 20 Hz: 5,5 dB 30 Hz: 5 dB; 40 Hz: 4,5 dB.
(When referring to 'total EQ curve' I had accidentally opened the (wrong) Oratory1990 HD600 (PLA) folder, so forget it.)
There are, btw, not that many instruments left at 20 Hz or even 30 Hz - so, those, who don't go that deep anymore, don't have to sink back in despair.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I get SeNNator's bass elevation as rather moderate.
There's a difference between Solderdude's and Oratory's HD600-FR-curve, though.
With regard to the corrections: I find with the SeNNator at 20 Hz: + 6 dB; 30 Hz + 3,5 dB; 40 Hz +2 dB. And with Oratory at 20 Hz: 5,5 dB 30 Hz: 5 dB; 40 Hz: 4,5 dB.
(When referring to 'total EQ curve' I had accidentally opened the (wrong) Oratory1990 HD600 (PLA) folder, so forget it.)
There are, btw, not that many instruments left at 20 Hz or even 30 Hz - so, those, who don't go that deep anymore, don't have to sink back in despair.
I agree with your SeNNator evalutation of the amount of boost at different Hz you listed, but your Oratory ones are wrong, it's here on the total EQ curve (https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0 ). 20Hz 4.5dB, 30Hz 4 dB, 40Hz 3.5dB, 50Hz 3dB, and then goes in straight line down to 0dB at 90Hz.....so you're overestimating the Oratory bass boost by 1dB on each of of those - ah yes, just read that you opened the wrong pdf file, that's why you got the figures wrong. The SeNNator starts boosting the bass above Oratory from about just below 30Hz down to 0Hz, but Oratory has slightly higher bass boost from 30Hz to 90Hz, because the SeNNator doesn't start boosting the bass until 50Hz and below. If "massive" boosting of the bass below around 22Hz (by the SeNNator) doesn't have detrimental effects on the ability of the headphone to render the rest of the frequency range clearly then I guess it doesn't matter, but I don't know if that's the case or not, although my subjective testing of rolling off bass boosts on the NAD HP50 from 20Hz using a High Pass Filter seemed to clear up the clarity of the rest of frequency range when listening (I did that testing a few months ago and since then include the same High Pass Filter on all my headphones).

Good point about instruments left under 30Hz, there's rumble effects under there that I guess can be created in synthetic music and maybe as part of a frequency response of some instruments although likely the not main part of their response (although some organs can reproduce low tones below that point as their main frequency), I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okie-dokes

Kouioui

Forum Donor
I find it interesting that oratory's 650 after settings graphs hug the Harman curve from 20-40Hz better than his 600 ones. I know there's little below 40Hz on most recordings (50Hz on vinyl) but the lowest string on a 5/6-string electric bass has a fundamental pitch of 31Hz and some recordings utilize subsonic EFX that adds an octave below on some bass frequencies. I do reduce the low shelf 1.5dB so it may be a moot point.

On the other end of oratory's raw FR graphs, 650 has less peaking >10kHz before and after his EQ. I think this has a larger influence for me personally than the low end, as I have tinnitus that rings around 14kHz, so I prefer the softer >10kHz respone of the 650/6XXs over the 580/600. Test rigs like his GRAS 43AG aren't all that accurate in this range and ear canal resonances vary, so this all might be something like a placebo effect I'm sensing. What I do know, I could never wear my 580s as long as my 6XXs before wanting to rip them off my ears and eventually sold them.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it interesting that oratory's 650 after settings graphs hug the Harman curve from 20-40Hz better than his 600 ones. I know there's little below 40Hz on most recordings (50Hz on vinyl) but the lowest string on a 5/6-string electric bass has a fundamental pitch of 31Hz and some recordings utilize subsonic EFX that adds an octave below on some bass frequencies. I do reduce the low shelf 1.5dB so it may be a mute point.

On the other end of oratory's raw FR graphs, 650 has less peaking >10kHz before and after his EQ. I think this has a larger influence for me personally than the low end, as I have tinnitus that rings around 14kHz so I prefer the softer >10kHz respone of the 650/6XXs over the 580/600. Test rigs like his GRAS 43AG aren't all that accurate in this range and ear canal resonances vary, so this all might be something like a placebo effect I'm sensing. What I do know, I could never wear my 580s as long as my 6XXs before wanting to rip them off my ears and eventually sold them.
His 650 EQ hugs the bass so well because he's put in a massive +10dB of gain in some areas of the bass (https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr5tqw0qojom9uh/Sennheiser HD650.pdf?dl=0 ) whereas in the HD600 he limited it to a max of +5dB. Technically he could have done the same with the HD600 for that +10dB boost, but I'm imagining that it didn't play nicely with the headphone. Solderdude's distortion measurements show HD600 to have slightly more distortion sub 100Hz than the HD650, so that might be the reason Oratory couldn't do a 10dB boost for the HD600. Although the difference in distortion seems only slight to me between the two headphones, so praps it's not that.....it is interesting though considering I think the HD600 & HD650 use the same drivers, they're just tuned differently right?

EDIT: unless Oratory chose to create EQ profiles that more accurately reflect the initial characters of the two headphones, with the 650 being warmer than the HD600 when stock.....perhaps there were equal negative effects of adding in a +10dB boost on both headphones but figured 650 owners would naturally prefer extended bass at the cost of some associated negative effects, as opposed to HD600 owners that might be more focussed on "flatness" and detail (and would have less of the negative effects of distortion).....as this is some of the main characteristic differences between the two headphones stock. (So it might be the same seesaw, just balanced differently for different tradeoffs).

Last edited:

Kouioui

Forum Donor
Since he tunes his settings by ear and prefers the 600 over other 6 series Senns, you're probably right. Then he makes comments like this so I don't know what to believe. Here's an old ASR thread that deep dives into driver differences so I'm reading thru it to find out.

Top Bottom