• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser hd579 EQ to hd650?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24907
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24907

I got an hd579 which unfortunately is not an improvement over the old hd540 which has died. I miss the airless and being in the bubble effect. You don't know what you miss until it's gone.. Been trying to get an EQ on the laptop but I was unable to get the preferred one used here to work. Realtek might be the issue. I ended up trying Boom which nicely integrates with tidal. I am using reference audio analyser where I compare the frequency response of the hd650 and am adjusting the equaliser to match the differences. Is this the correct approach or should I aim for a general other curve? Other question: will the boom equaliser settings work on new phones usb c out? Where a dac dongle is needed? In this case: will it then also work if I use this phone as source to a headphone amp?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can get 2 headphones to measure the same (using EQ) on a particular test fixture.
They still won't sound the same even if you do get them to measure the same on that fixture as that fixture differs from your ears.

Measurements of an old HD540 (pad condition ?) made on test fixture A will also be quite different from an HD579 or HD650 on another test fixture.
And even when you get the plots of the HD579 or HD650 to look like that of the HD540 (on another rig with another compensation) they will still measure differently.

When you want HD540 sound ... you need to buy one second hand.

You can't make the HD579 sound like a HD650 either. One has angled drivers, the other does not. So even when EQ'ed similar (on a specific rig) they will still sound different.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 24907

I am currently trying to get my hands on a hd 540 reference gold edition. If I would have known what the prices are I would have had mine repaired.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The gold edition sells for crazy prices.

OP
D

Deleted member 24907

The gold edition sells for crazy prices.
If I am lucky I will have one for 100 euro including box, papers everything. I think this man is unaware of the status of these things, just like I was when I threw my reference II in the bin. They were worn out for a fact, one channel did not function anymore despite new cables so I am good with the decision. Even so, someone would have bought them for spare parts I am sure.

OP
D

Deleted member 24907

On multiple forums people are crazy about these headphones. Also people with Sennheiser hd800 and upper range headphones of other brands. They keep returning to these. So I kinda start to understand my longing for the sound of the 540's.

OP
D

Deleted member 24907

20210203_121209.jpg
Was able to buy a gold version in mint condition for 150 euro. Need a headphone amp but the sound is there. Can't be happier.

Blank Verse

View attachment 110308Was able to buy a gold version in mint condition for 150 euro. Need a headphone amp but the sound is there. Can't be happier.
That was a lucky strike, holly crap. I just got myself a pair of HD540 Reference II in mint condition too, but I paid a little more than you did (though not too much). These headphones are unbelievably good, like nothing else I have heard before. My HD580 are good headphones, but I think they are a little boosted in the lower mids and lack the utter transparency of the HD540 Ref II in the highs.

For the headphone amp I can recommend an Objective 2, many people are happy with that pairing.

Blank Verse

I love my HD540 Ref II. They are incredible headphones. So natural and open and detailed (without being fatiguing). Also, the comfort of these is unparalleled. It is so easy to forget you have headphones on and just get lost in the music.

OP
D

Deleted member 24907

They are the best I ever heard. Its not listening to sound reproduction, but instead you are stepping into the studio. Have fun with them!

Top Bottom