• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 5.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 170 40.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 226 53.2%

• Total voters

pk500

I've ordered a set of HD650 and Sundara, to evaluate what might be next, as an alternative to the Grado "high end" tree. The 650's arrived earlier, and immediately notice two things. without EQ, I prefer the less shouty presentation of the 650, with EQ, that so far after a few tracks (from my standard headphone test playlist) is the same. Also, and more noticeable, that channel imbalance that I notice with the 560 (which is not completely cured with 2dB of channel correction) is entirely absent with the 650. I'd also be happy to use the 650 without EQ, the 560 for me needs it.
So, the Sundaras should be in my hands later this afternoon, so will have another completely different flavour of ice cream to taste.
Listening the Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet, and I can begin to understand the love for the 650s, and maybe why the 560 is a bit marmite.
Think of the smoothest liquor you like. Maybe doesn't have all of the distinct flavors or unique characteristics of some other brands of the same hooch, but it still tastes great, ALWAYS goes down easy and hits the spot.

That's Johnnie Walker Red for me. It's also the HD 6XX (basically the same as HD 650) in my headphone collection. :)

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Think of the smoothest liquor you like. Maybe doesn't have all of the distinct flavors or unique characteristics of some other brands of the same hooch, but it still tastes great, ALWAYS goes down easy and hits the spot.

That's Johnnie Walker Red for me. It's also the HD 6XX (basically the same as HD 650) in my headphone collection. :)
My favourite tipple is an Ardbeg malt whisky, I can only imagine that the headphone equivalent is wearing a chainsaw on your head?

pk500

My favourite tipple is an Ardbeg malt whisky, I can only imagine that the headphone equivalent is wearing a chainsaw on your head?
I dig Laphroaig, so I feel you. People either love it or think it tastes like mouthwash. Nobody takes a sip of Laphroaig and says, "Eh, not bad." :)

Bernard23

I dig Laphroaig, so I feel you. People either love it or think it tastes like mouthwash. Nobody takes a sip of Laphroaig and says, "Eh, not bad." :)
I always ahve around 6-7 different malts, I've tried many and distilled the must have inventory! Laphroiag quarter cask is one of those essentials. It's akin to drinking fresh tarmac, I love it!

Moonhead

If you good people enjoy Laphroiag, you should really try Lagavulin 16… Sorry for off topic.

Bernard23

I'm afraid that my 560s are already technically sold on ebay. few days to go, but once I'd tried the 650 and Sundara it was game over. No amount of EQ could make them compete for my ears; my Hemps had them every turn for thrilling rock, 650 for cafe jazz, and Sundara for everything in between.

Alchemist_

Does the ear touch this ledge?

And.
I found on the Internet that the depth of the ear pads is 2 mm.
And how many millimeters, up to this ledge?
InkedHD560S-13_LI.jpg

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the ear touch this ledge?

And.
I found on the Internet that the depth of the ear pads is 2 mm.
And how many millimeters, up to this ledge?
View attachment 186333
It depends what kind of ears you have....from the nursery rhyme "my what ears you have" and they'll touch that bit you're indicating! My ears if I position the headphone properly then they will not touch any part of the pad or part you're indicating - suspended in mid air if you like. My ears are on the average to just under size probably. In terms of space in the cup for ears vs my other headphones then this headphone is the best after my HD600 (see all the headphones in my sig). The K702 that I have (I have 3 units), modern K702's I think have slightly shallower pads and my ear touches the driver lightly, but not when using the genuine pads bought from Thomann, so I think they've changed the pads in the K702 in the last few years, as I remember my stock 2015 K702 my ear didn't touch the driver (even though it was still Chinese manufacture at that point). No, but anyway, back to the HD560s it's quite a roomy headphone cup and second most roomy headphone that I own, but not the most space in there out of all headphones ever made!

Alchemist_

Which one (560S and 660S) has more stage and better definition of instruments in space?

Chyżwar

Which one (560S and 660S) has more stage and better definition of instruments in space?

Both sound like headphones :D
Subjectively speaking, I feel that the HD660s have better soundstage and especially imaging. I had both and decided to keep the HD660s because they sound "better" without using the EQ. But I could live with the HD560s :)

dante21

Have both.
Both sound good yet different.
Lightweight versus heavier weight, different feel in the hand.
HD560 is brighter/forward, HE400SE is warmer. What HD560S has a bit too much in brightness the HE400SE misses that much.
Both sound good with a bit of EQ but very different feel on the head.
which is better for spatial qualities?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
To me the HD560S as it has angled drivers is slightly better at this.
Some say the 400SE also has good spatial properties but to me not as good.
Most likely because I do not EQ the upper mids on the 400SE which are recessed and have to do with imaging.
I have both but feel the HD560S is slightly better at this, maybe for above mentioned reasons.
Both are not HD800(S) quality but not much reach that anyway.

dante21

To me the HD560S as it has angled drivers is slightly better at this.
Some say the 400SE also has good spatial properties but to me not as good.
Most likely because I do not EQ the upper mids on the 400SE which are recessed and have to do with imaging.
I have both but feel the HD560S is slightly better at this, maybe for above mentioned reasons.
like i mentioned on a similar thread, i have a K702, which kind fills that void for soundstage and space. But i hate the comfort

so i was looking for something with the same qualities, but that i can wear for 3h+

usern

Which headphones do you think do reach that level? After having 560S, the HD800(S) seems only interesting headphone that could offer something different enough.
like i mentioned on a similar thread, i have a K702, which kind fills that void for soundstage and space. But i hate the comfort

so i was looking for something with the same qualities, but that i can wear for 3h+
Are you able to buy 560S and return them if they don't suit your needs? I got 560S mainly because it seemed that I can use them for prolonged sessions and for me that works well. Good performance was really nice bonus.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Which headphones do you think do reach that level? After having 560S, the HD800(S) seems only interesting headphone that could offer something different enough.

The problem is that this factor is individual dependent and I need a prolonged exposure to the headphone in order to asses this aspect.
So only for headphones I have for longer periods I can say with confidence of the ones I own.

dante21

Are you able to buy 560S and return them if they don't suit your needs? I got 560S mainly because it seemed that I can use them for prolonged sessions and for me that works well. Good performance was really nice bonus.
i mean, kinda

i also have the HD 599, but that midbass makes everything a bit muddy and closed in

and for my needs (gaming) is not ideal

Top Bottom