• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 5.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 39.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 226 53.3%

• Total voters

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
How much are we allowed to insult each other on here? I can chuck turds like a mofo but I'm guessing I'll get banned if I return fire. You didn't say anything because you don't actually want to learn. You're not addicted to learning. You're an npc who dismisses anyone who says something you don't like. It's not subtle. Make an argument, make a joke. Anything to let the world know you're a real boy.
You are dancing precariously close to the line here. Personal insults are not permitted. Report any posts you feel insulted you first, and do not reply to them. Let the Moderation Team handle it. Your new so this gets a pass. We are very much a Science and Engineering First focused community here. We trust but verify, so be prepared to support your statements with data or references.

Welcome Aboard @Joe852

GaryH

Major Contributor
Make an argument
I can't offer an argument against an incoherent statement. All I can do is point out the parts that especially don't make sense:
It's funny how this is an objective site until we talk about headphone frequency response. Then it's about matching the most popular amount of frequency response distortion. That's what compliance means - matching the popular amount of distortion.
It's not like Sennheiser couldn't add some low frequency distortion.
And point you towards an overview of the relevant research from Dr Sean Olive, the premier researcher in the field over the last decade, to help you learn the science behind headphone sound quality evaluation:

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In light of @amirm measurements and since EQ is not “mandatory” would the HD560S be a good match to a IPhone with Apple dongle? If not, why not?

oleg87

In light of @amirm measurements and since EQ is not “mandatory” would the HD560S be a good match to a IPhone with Apple dongle? If not, why not?
The main limitation of the Apple dongle is that its output is limited to a rather low 1Vrms (and even lower 0.5Vrms for the EU model I believe), which, going by Amir's measurement on page 1, would give you a maximum of about 105dB SPL at full volume with the Sennheisers. So you may hit the limit of the volume knob before you reach skull-rattling volumes for high dynamic range sources, if that's what you're into, but it should suffice for most folks, especially if EQ is not on the menu.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's how much SPL you can get with the US Apple dongle, according to different review sites:
Screenshot_20230111-020815_Sheets.png

I listen at 80-90dB peak, so even the 0.5V EU Apple dongle would be more than enough volume for me.

Cote Dazur

0.5Vrms for the EU model I believe), which, going by Amir's measurement on page 1, would give you a maximum of about 105dB SPL
I live in Canada, but even with 0.5Vrms it would be plenty loud. If that is the only thing, it looks good to me.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got the EU Apple Dongle which is half the power (0.5V max), and I use a -9dB negative preamp (which is more than I strictly need to use for my EQ), and there's plenty of power - I don't remember using volume control beyond 40 and it's plenty loud enough.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
105dB peak levels is a 'comfortable loud' listening level (about 90dB average).
More than sufficient for active listening SPL and certainly for all day listening (around 70dB average)

bodhi

Forum Donor
I just brought these home as an impulse purchase as I heard they would be great for fps gaming.

But holy hell, I think these are excellent headphones for music also. Even without EQ, but I use SoundID reference flat curve.

I'm not saying that these are world's best headphones, but if I would have to use these for my only headphones from now on I wouldn't be very sad. And these are practically free of charge at ~150€.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just brought these home as an impulse purchase as I heard they would be great for fps gaming.

But holy hell, I think these are excellent headphones for music also. Even without EQ, but I use SoundID reference flat curve.

I'm not saying that these are world's best headphones, but if I would have to use these for my only headphones from now on I wouldn't be very sad. And these are practically free of charge at ~150€.
Cool, congrats, it's always good when someone else has the same good matching experience of headphone or speaker. I don't know much about SoundID EQ that you're using, I'd be a bit wary about placing a lot faith in that - do you know what measurement rigs they use and how they created their target curve? It might be worth trying the Oratory EQ for it as that is more along the accepted lines of headphone research & science that ASR aspires to.......it might sound even better than the SoundID EQ you're using.

Yearofthegoat

Still waiting on a replacement pair. Original supplier eventually admitted they wouldn't have stock, so I've had to use Amazon. Even they have a two week lead time. Patience is a virtue, or so I'm told...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still waiting on a replacement pair. Original supplier eventually admitted they wouldn't have stock, so I've had to use Amazon. Even they have a two week lead time. Patience is a virtue, or so I'm told...
Hmm, what's up with that, Amazon are next day delivery so how come you've mentioned a two week lead time?

Yearofthegoat

Er, because its true?! Ordered yesterday, estimated arrival is Feb 8th, so just over 2 weeks. This doesn't change much if you have Prime - I don't. Am in the UK (but I see so are you!). Here's the text from my email:

Your purchase has been divided into 2 orders.

Arriving:

Friday, January 27

Your delivery option:

Priority Delivery

Your order will be sent to:

XXXXXXXX

GUILDFORD, SURREY

United Kingdom

Ordered item(s):

CableCreation 5-PACK Optical Digital Audio Cable 1.8m Slim Fiber Optic Toslink Gold Plated Optical S/PDIF Cord for Home Theater, Sound Bar, TV, PS4, Xbox, VD/CD player,Game console& More

£10.99

Condition: New

Sold by: CableCreation UK

Fulfilled by Amazon

Order Total: £10.99

=======================================================================================

Arriving:

Tuesday, February 7 -

Wednesday, February 8

Your delivery option:

Standard Delivery

XXXXXXXXX

GUILDFORD, SURREY

United Kingdom

Ordered item(s):

Sennheiser HD 560S, Open back reference-grade headphones for audio enthusiasts, Over Ear , Black

£149.00

Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

Jurassic World Dominion [4K Ultra HD] [2022] [Blu-ray] [Region Free] of Colin Trevorrow

£12.99

Order Total: £161.99

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Er, because its true?! Ordered yesterday, estimated arrival is Feb 8th, so just over 2 weeks. This doesn't change much if you have Prime - I don't. Am in the UK (but I see so are you!). Here's the text from my email:

Your purchase has been divided into 2 orders.

Arriving:

Friday, January 27

Your delivery option:

Priority Delivery

XXXXXXXX

GUILDFORD, SURREY

United Kingdom

Ordered item(s):

CableCreation 5-PACK Optical Digital Audio Cable 1.8m Slim Fiber Optic Toslink Gold Plated Optical S/PDIF Cord for Home Theater, Sound Bar, TV, PS4, Xbox, VD/CD player,Game console& More

£10.99

Condition: New

Sold by: CableCreation UK

Fulfilled by Amazon

Order Total: £10.99

=======================================================================================

Arriving:

Tuesday, February 7 -

Wednesday, February 8

Your delivery option:

Standard Delivery

XXXXXXXXX

GUILDFORD, SURREY

United Kingdom

Ordered item(s):

Sennheiser HD 560S, Open back reference-grade headphones for audio enthusiasts, Over Ear , Black

£149.00

Jurassic World Dominion [4K Ultra HD] [2022] [Blu-ray] [Region Free] of Colin Trevorrow

£12.99

Order Total: £161.99
Oh, you don't have Prime, that's probably why then. Amazon is next day delivery if you have Prime, I checked the HD560s and it's next day delivery.

Yearofthegoat

Oh, you don't have Prime, that's probably why then. Amazon is next day delivery if you have Prime, I checked the HD560s and it's next day delivery.
Hmm that's odd - I had an option to get Prime on a trial and the delivery date was no different. But, there were two sellers, one not Amazon, maybe that was it.

Anyway, all irrelevant now as I cancelled the Amazon order and bought them from Scan - again - as they blimmin' well have stock, after they told me on Saturday they didn't/wouldn't.

Am just waiting for the 'oops, we don't realllly have stock' email.

Bring back Tandy, that's what I say.

Sorry this is getting OT now. I will post back though when they arrive on Thursday about channel imbalance - lack of, hopefully.

Sydnex

Hello, have amp Chord hugo 1 version and decided to try buy a hd560s. Will they be compatible with each other?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hello, have amp Chord hugo 1 version and decided to try buy a hd560s. Will they be compatible with each other?
Why wouldn't they be compatible with each other? The Hugo has a regular headphone output and the 560S has a regular headphone plug.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Phosphenetre

I just got the HD400 Pro, which I happened to find at a lower price than the 560s, somehow. I've read occasional reports of driver matching issues. What would be a good way to check if the matching on my pair is within what's considered normal for a headphone of this price class? I know the usual sine sweep method over at audiocheck.net, but are there other tests you guys like to run on new headphones in general, to check for QC or build issues before a return window runs out?

Top Bottom