• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 5.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 39.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 226 53.3%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
I started a thread about this a while ago. Take a look:
Thanks! post #2 and #8 both sound like very smart guys.

But both disagree which is best.

Now i need to toss a coin :D

Music1969

Major Contributor
Interestingly both guys agree no shield connection is the worst:

"Method 2 is the worst, almost like connecting the capsule without shielded cable."

But good 4C stock headphones cables are not shielded right @solderdude ?

Like 560S and HD 650 cable?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Shield is NOT needed at all for headphones.
One can use a shielded cable as headphone cable though because the shield is much lower resistance than the wire which is beneficial when a 3-wire cable is used and the return wires go through the shield.

Music1969

Major Contributor
One can use a shielded cable as headphone cable though because the shield is much lower resistance than the wire which is beneficial when a 3-wire cable is used and the return wires go through the shield.
But for 4C headphone cable, the shield is completely redundant right?

No need to connect either end of the shield to anything ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can connect the shield of the cable to the shield of an XLR-4 or Pentaconn and leave it unconnected at the headphone side if you insist.
It has no purpose here, it would if it were microphone or interlink.

Ufasas

I burnt schiit fulla2 somehow, by pulling usb cable , and it stopped working with any micro-usb cable i tried at home.. Has anyone tried Topping dx3pro+ with hd560s? I looked at Fiio k5 pro (either AKM or ESS) as 2nd option

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD560S is pretty easy to drive. It does not draw a lot of current so no heroic actions have to be performed by the amplifier section.
With 108dB/V you only need 4V to reach impressively loud levels.
Any amp section that can reach 150mW in 300Ω will be able to do that.
DX3Pro + exceeds that, so does Fiio k5 pro and will even allow a 5dB bass boost at those impressively loud levels.
The limiting factor, for sure, will be the HD560S not the amps.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got my 560S. Previously AKG K371 (always used with oratory1990 EQ).

Comparing both with oratory - as expected, similar tonality.

Both very light and comfortable - so good.

Bass is a bit different - could be different distortion, could be seal is less important with 560S. Could be both distortion and seal.

I have to drop low shelf bass of 560S by 3dB to give closer tonality to my K371 - probably seal issue with AKGs on my head.

@Robbo99999 thanks for your THD plots there.

I guess those are out of the box and when I apply oratory EQ, bass gets bumped up a lot, so distortion gets a big boost too.

Did @oratory1990 share THD with you, with his EQ applied during measurement?
That distortion graph, I'll post again here for convenience, those are without EQ. So you'd use those plots in just the same way as you would with Amir's plots - ie if you put in a +5dB Low Shelf on the bass, then that will take you +5dB to the lines above (for the bass). So let's say your DAC and volume gain chain for your normal listening level is setup for 1kHz @86dB using the stock headphone without EQ.......well when you apply a +5dB Low Shelf bass boost then the relevant distortion line to look for would be 86dB +5dB = 91dB at 1kHz then you look at the bass distortion for the 91dB 1kHz line. So that would then be showing you your maximum distortion when those frequencies were playing at full signal - but of course when you listen to music then it's not full signal for any given frequency, so really what we're looking at is an absolute worst case, that's the way I understand it.
HD560s Distortion.png
Given those distortion measurements I reckon you're fine using it up to the max level that is shown there (114dB). For my listening levels I'm normally at around 86dB for 1kHz as a max, then I add around 6dB to that in bass EQ, that gives me the 92dB line as a worst case scenario in the bass, which is the blue line and showing a crazy low 0.3% as worst case scenario distortion in the bass.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeh I need something for the couch, 4.5m back.

1.5m extra needed to then come up the couch and have a little extra slack.
Grado do a long and robust lead. Can't recall longest length but it can't be far off 6m

Ufasas

i am continuing my journey in DAC/AMPs & good headphones, LoL, few gigs and few beers less, and i can afford it, just got K5 Pro (ESS) for £110 of ebay, bro, i can't wait to put my broken schiit fulla 2 to dust, my hd560s will be happy as hell :D

Eidolon

Hey guys :)

New to the forum, been agonizing about which headphones to get for the past few weeks. Here's the skinny: I use headphones for both gaming and music, my budget would be up to $500 but ideally much much lower (think $200-$300 range) and I have a mixture of a NAD 325 BEE amp and Korg DS-DAC-100m (this thing: https://www.korg.com/us/products/audio/ds_dac_100m/), which generally drives my speaker setup. The problem I've heard is that neither the NAD nor the Korg are particularly good when it comes to headphone jacks, and therein we come to the crux of my problem. I cannot decide between multiple models, including Senn 560s's or 599s, Meze 99s (heavily eq'd per Amir's instructions), or something from the Sundara lineup OR Beyerdynamic TYGR 300-R's.

At the moment, I could get the TYGRs for 160e new, Senns for around 185e new (or pretty-much-brand-new 599s for 150e, which I guess is still a pretty bad deal), Hifiman 400SE's for 170e, Sundaras for around 300e hardly used, and Sundara Closed Backs for 360e pretty much new (just opened). Also pretty much untouched Meze Classics for 200e. I missed my chance on a 400e pretty-much-new version of the Edition XS cause the guy literally just changed his mind, which further makes me believe those are the best option by far on the list (he tried them and loved them but realized the open back design doesn't work with his current living situation - put them on sale and then immediately regretted it, lol).

My questions are this: 1) can all of these (esp the planar Hifimans) be driven reasonably on the setup I have? 2) Which would you suggest to someone who does like a slightly warmer sound and detailed mids but does like a punchy bass? I realize that doesn't go along with my preference for 560s, but I also do like my sound clean and relatively precise, which is why I also put the 599's in contention I guess?

Anyways, yeah, out of this list, could I run everything, and what, in your guys opinion is the best overall option? Should I just hold out or save up more money and go for the Edition XS even at full price or will an EQ'd Sundara or 560s or 400SE give me a close enough thing for much less money? Will they all be good for imaging and soundstage (another reason I prefer 560s cause I game a lot, too)? Are there any other good suggestions (maybe AKG K371)? Can the warm and comfortable Meze Classics do the job EQ'd since I've heard nothing but hate from audiophiles other than the bass performance? :)

Sorry for the huge post, and thanks in advance :)

PS the reason I mention getting used (or at least opened and listened to once or twice) headphones, which is generally a ****** idea to me, too, is that some brands are pretty damn hard to come by where I live new and would be ridiculously more expensive with the customs fees etc.

Last edited:

usern

New to the forum, been agonizing about which headphones to get for the past few weeks. Here's the skinny: I use headphones for both gaming and music, my budget would be up to $500 but ideally much much lower (think $200-$300 range) and I have a mixture of a NAD 325 BEE amp and Korg DS-DAC-100m (this thing: https://www.korg.com/us/products/audio/ds_dac_100m/), which generally drives my speaker setup. The problem I've heard is that neither the NAD nor the Korg are particularly good when it comes to headphone jacks, and therein we come to the crux of my problem. I cannot decide between multiple models, including Senn 560s's or 599s, Meze 99s (heavily eq'd per Amir's instructions), or something from the Sundara lineup OR Beyerdynamic TYGR 300-R's.

At the moment, I could get the TYGRs for 160e new, Senns for around 185e new (or pretty-much-brand-new 599s for 150e, which I guess is still a pretty bad deal), Hifiman 400SE's for 170e, Sundaras for around 300e hardly used, and Sundara Closed Backs for 360e pretty much new (just opened). Also pretty much untouched Meze Classics for 200e. I missed my chance on a 400e pretty-much-new version of the Edition XS cause the guy literally just changed his mind, which further makes me believe those are the best option by far on the list (he tried them and loved them but realized the open back design doesn't work with his current living situation - put them on sale and then immediately regretted it, lol).

My questions are this: 1) can all of these (esp the planar Hifimans) be driven reasonably on the setup I have? 2) Which would you suggest to someone who does like a slightly warmer sound and detailed mids but does like a punchy bass? I realize that doesn't go along with my preference for 560s, but I also do like my sound clean and relatively precise, which is why I also put the 599's in contention I guess?

Anyways, yeah, out of this list, could I run everything, and what, in your guys opinion is the best overall option? Should I just hold out or save up more money and go for the Edition XS even at full price or will an EQ'd Sundara or 560s or 400SE give me a close enough thing for much less money? Will they all be good for imaging and soundstage (another reason I prefer 560s cause I game a lot, too)? Are there any other good suggestions (maybe AKG K371)? Can the warm and comfortable Meze Classics do the job EQ'd since I've heard nothing but hate from audiophiles other than the bass performance? :)

PS the reason I mention getting used (or at least opened and listened to once or twice) headphones, which is generally a ****** idea to me, too, is that some brands are pretty damn hard to come by where I live new and would be ridiculously more expensive with the customs fees etc.
I would drop TYGR and 599 from your list because they distort at lower volumes than others. 560S and 400SE are best value I think. From these two the choice is if you want planar sound or lighter (less weight) and better soundstage of 560S. Both can be equalized to sound as you want. Meze could be safe choice if you do not want to buy better amplification as it is easiest to drive from your list. But it's closed back. Don't really know how good that NAD is. 560S could and should do well with your setup as well. Hifimans are harder to drive.

In your position I would choose 560S and if it's too quiet with the NAD, then get JDS Atom AMP+ or Topping DX3pro+ which replaces both amp and DAC.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
JDS Atom AMP+
The Schiit Magni Heresy has ~double the power output of the Atom amp+ and it looks nicer too. Both cost near the same and both have a 2 year warranty.
index.php

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm a gamer and also audio enthusiast - HD560s equalised using Oratory1990 settings is your best bet. When you're gaming you'd probably want to use the headphones without equalisation, then when listening to music use the Oratory1990 EQ. HD560s is probably my best gaming headphone, and also for music. HD560s generally have good channel matching and low unit to unit variation, of which both are positives and the good channel matching will be an advantage in gaming when you're trying to pinpoint directions of sounds. For me, I'd definitely get the HD560s.

Eidolon

Alright, thanks for the advice guys, that was my take actually too, before getting seduced by these Hifiman planar magnetics, heh. Does anyone have any clue about the NAD setup I have tho, as in, how well it could run more demanding headphones, though? I'm likely going to get the 560s but it'd be good to know, if anyone has perhaps had experience with a similar amp.

Also, has anyone perhaps tested the closed-back version of the Sundaras? Going for around 360e where I'm at but I haven't really found many reviews online to see what it loses for the much better bass?

Last edited:

Fregly

I have one of Solderdude's filters to tame the slightly hot treble of the 560s and really enjoy them. I am thinking of picking up a used 660 to compare. Surely the 660 must be better in some area, though the consensus seems to be not so in this thread. Being an audiophile I need to waste some more money and will likely buy to test. I have inferred from some of the comments here and elsewhere the mids are more focused or some such improvement on the 660.

usern

I have one of Solderdude's filters to tame the slightly hot treble of the 560s and really enjoy them. I am thinking of picking up a used 660 to compare. Surely the 660 must be better in some area, though the consensus seems to be not so in this thread. Being an audiophile I need to waste some more money and will likely buy to test. I have inferred from some of the comments here and elsewhere the mids are more focused or some such improvement on the 660.
I have both and think 660S is not worth it if you already have 560S. When equalized to Harman target, then there is very little difference. You gain in build quality, but lose at low frequencies and sound stage. I would suggest looking at something else if you want to experiment.

Fregly

I have both and think 660S is not worth it if you already have 560S. When equalized to Harman target, then there is very little difference. You gain in build quality, but lose at low frequencies and sound stage. I would suggest looking at something else if you want to experiment.
Thanks for saving me money :) I'll just get an iem then as an alternative.

Top Bottom