• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560s Owner's Thread.

MrBrainwash

My 'EQ' is a passive filter that lowers the 3kHz to 10kHz region. Takes of the 'edge' the HD560S has.

To me bass EQ is not needed but if one wants to I would only boost the 20Hz by 5dB and set the Q so at 50Hz there is no more boost.

For the price it is an excellent and neutral sounding headphone with reasonable good imaging properties due to angled drivers.

An alternative is the Sundara but the HD560S is lighther on the head.

Can you propose values of software filter that will match your passive filter? Or Does the same effects can't be simulated that way?
Filter: ON PK Fc 6000 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 0.9 ?
Either way your experience is relatively normal re your headphones sounding better once you've worn them for a while. You can always use EQ to take the edge off part of the treble in the HD560s and to also increase the bass.....I always use EQ.
Thank you. I started using EQ not long ago but end up using it all the time. Benefits are too great. :)
I switch between:
Your settings
Oratory
+ I use sometimes "HiFi correction" I copied from other presets:
Filter : ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 0.45
Filter : ON LSC Fc 110 Hz Gain -5.8 dB Q 0.75
Filter : ON HSC Fc 6000 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 0.707
Filter: ON HSC Fc 11000 Hz Gain 0.8 dB Q 1.25

I have some (AutoEQ?) presets from mega_switch database but don't use them often.

And now I will add 2 filters preset suggested by Solderdude. :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you propose values of software filter that will match your passive filter? Or Does the same effects can't be simulated that way?
Filter: ON PK Fc 6000 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 0.9 ?

Thank you. I started using EQ not long ago but end up using it all the time. Benefits are too great. :)
I switch between:
Your settings
Oratory
+ I use sometimes "HiFi correction" I copied from other presets:
Filter : ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 0.45
Filter : ON LSC Fc 110 Hz Gain -5.8 dB Q 0.75
Filter : ON HSC Fc 6000 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 0.707
Filter: ON HSC Fc 11000 Hz Gain 0.8 dB Q 1.25

I have some (AutoEQ?) presets from mega_switch database but don't use them often.

And now I will add 2 filters preset suggested by Solderdude. :)
Yes, it's pretty much always useful to use EQ with any headphone, about the only headphone that might not benefit from EQ is the DCA Stealth! Theoretically, you should find EQ's based on GRAS measurements the most preferable/useable which means Oratory EQ's / Amir EQ's or any EQ's based on their measurements (eg mine), as well as Crinacle & Resolve measurements. (Solderdude is using a flat plate to measure headphones, so EQ's based off that would generally be not as valid, likely less preferred....but often times his hardware EQ's have some correlation with the more detailed changes made by Oratory EQ's for example).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Does the same effects can't be simulated that way?

Yes it can. It is rather pointless when you can EQ digitally. It is more intended for situation where digital EQ is not possible.
Just set the dB's to -5 and Q so that it stops filtering around 3kHz with Fc = 7kHz.
It just shaves off the slight sharpish part.

MrBrainwash

Yes it can. It is rather pointless when you can EQ digitally. It is more intended for situation where digital EQ is not possible.
Just set the dB's to -5 and Q so that it stops filtering around 3kHz with Fc = 7kHz.
It just shaves off the slight sharpish part.
Thank you. wow. What a transformation. Brightness goes away. And that helps by much.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@solderdude

Do you suggest an EQ with just the removal of the 3khz dip for these headphones? Trying to piece together a good working EQ for them, I do like the Oratory one that I am using currently.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@solderdude

Do you suggest an EQ with just the removal of the 3khz dip for these headphones? Trying to piece together a good working EQ for them, I do like the Oratory one that I am using currently.
There isn't a 3kHz dip, it's because he measured it on a flat plate with no artificial ear so it has a different shape to the frequency response. If you look at Oratory's measurement on the GRAS with artificial ear you can see there is no dip at 3kHz:
index.php

I'm fairly certain most people wouldn't want to be boosting 3kHz more. This measurement is far more valid than a measurement done on a flat plate.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@solderdude

I suggest only lowering of the area between 4kHz and 8kHz. Adjust lower bass to taste.

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
Oh, ok, you're answering my rhetorical question of why we're talking about unit to unit variation of HD560s in an "Amir Measures Next" thread. Well it's still a tenuous link because all headphones have variation, that doesn't preclude them from being measured on this site or not - also the HD560s does not have bad unit to unit variation, there are many headphones that have worse - it's silly to say you wouldn't measure a headphone on here because of some reports of unit to unit variation - it's not a reliable enough basis (statistically) to make that decision. But anyway, I'd be looking forward to Amir measuring an HD560s, it's a good headphone. I don't think we should pollute this thread anymore with this discussion though, because it's off topic - like I urged @phoenixsong to post his findings in the HD560s Owners Thread which is far more relevant to this discussion, following link:
Sure, all headphone models have variation. I just didn't expect it to be this much on a Sennheiser I guess. I'm aware there are brands that do much worse.
I'm not saying Amir's review will be useless or anything. Far from it. Just curious in what direction this DUT will lean. It's good to see more measurements on different units of a single model.
But if there's more variation than people would expect from Sennheiser headphones some might get disappointed when applying the suggested EQ.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir will be measuring my pair of HD560, all we can do is wait and see what it looks like. Hopefully the variation is minimal compared to the other measurements.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Amir will be measuring my pair of HD560, all we can do is wait and see what it looks like. Hopefully the variation is minimal compared to the other measurements.
Don't hold your breath. I've had two units, both measured different, both with channel imbalance:(

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, all headphone models have variation. I just didn't expect it to be this much on a Sennheiser I guess. I'm aware there are brands that do much worse.
I'm not saying Amir's review will be useless or anything. Far from it. Just curious in what direction this DUT will lean. It's good to see more measurements on different units of a single model.
But if there's more variation than people would expect from Sennheiser headphones some might get disappointed when applying the suggested EQ.
Of course there's unit to unit variation. Oratory has measured three units of HD560s, and the unit to unit variation is quite low, channel matching is also very good for my unit he's measured. I haven't posted all the measurements he produced of my headphone yet as I'm waiting for him to answer some related questions of mine first. From my point of view I wouldn't use Amir's EQ's as I don't agree with his EQ based on one measurement (rather than an average) - he also eyeballs the EQ rather than doing it accurately and he sometimes chooses some questionably sharp high gain filters; I tried one of Amir's EQ once, it was for the HP50, sounded god awful, but I think he had a problem with his HP50 and/or he wasn't able to get representative measurements of it (as small earcups, fiddly!). But anyway, EQ based off one measured unit is not ideal, which is another point re using EQ's from here (for all headphones), but that's cool as Amir is not offering an EQ service as a forefront - he's offering his expertise in reviewing audio gear and backed up with the measurements, but EQ is not his primary.

Don't hold your breath. I've had two units, both measured different, both with channel imbalance:(
Which ones are yours? Who measured them & what equipment? Channel matching was very good on my unit, and was also good on the one Solderdude measured. Oratory did have one HD560s that had bad channel matching though (so far one of three for the ones he measured).

I have been told by Sennheiser they are planning to increase quality control for the HD560S.
That's cool, do you have a contact there? Are they reputable?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been told by Sennheiser they are planning to increase quality control for the HD560S.
That statement would also confirm there is an issue with the current production of them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

yes , and no idea what you mean by reputable. It is one person in an important position.

That statement would also confirm there is an issue with the current production of them.

I have been bugging them for a while about this and assume they did indeed find some issues.
They said matching would be increased to HD650 level.
No hard confirmation that there are issues nor the size of it.
Maybe beginning of next year this would be implemented.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Of course there's unit to unit variation. Oratory has measured three units of HD560s, and the unit to unit variation is quite low, channel matching is also very good for my unit he's measured. I haven't posted all the measurements he produced of my headphone yet as I'm waiting for him to answer some related questions of mine first. From my point of view I wouldn't use Amir's EQ's as I don't agree with his EQ based on one measurement (rather than an average) - he also eyeballs the EQ rather than doing it accurately and he sometimes chooses some questionably sharp high gain filters; I tried one of Amir's EQ once, it was for the HP50, sounded god awful, but I think he had a problem with his HP50 and/or he wasn't able to get representative measurements of it (as small earcups, fiddly!). But anyway, EQ based off one measured unit is not ideal, which is another point re using EQ's from here (for all headphones), but that's cool as Amir is not offering an EQ service as a forefront - he's offering his expertise in reviewing audio gear and backed up with the measurements, but EQ is not his primary.

Which ones are yours? Who measured them & what equipment? Channel matching was very good on my unit, and was also good on the one Solderdude measured. Oratory did have one HD560s that had bad channel matching though (so far one of three for the ones he measured).

Oratory measured one of my units (actually the very first HD 560s he measured), the unit with bad channel match he metioned to you. The second one was measured on flat plate (not sulderdude), the second one re-measured on the miniDSP EARS, both gave almost identical results.... poor channel matching.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yes , and no idea what you mean by reputable. It is one person in an important position.

I have been bugging them for a while about this and assume they did indeed find some issues.
They said matching would be increased to HD650 level.
No hard confirmation that there are issues nor the size of it.
Maybe beginning of next year this would be implemented.
The reason I asked you about the person, I'm trying to guage the accuracy/liklihood of your statement - there are people that "say all sorts of things" especially in front line tech support for instance. Can you give me an idea of the person (jobwise)? And what do you mean about "bugging them about this", your HD560s had good channel matching so why would you have been bugging them about this?

Oratory measured one of my units (actually the very first HD 560s he measured), the unit with bad channel match he metioned to you. The second one was measured on flat plate (not sulderdude), the second one re-measured on the miniDSP EARS, both gave almost identical results.... poor channel matching.

Cool, would you be able to post up the measurements of your HD560s that Oratory sent you?

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
The reason I asked you about the person, I'm trying to guage the accuracy/liklihood of your statement - there are people that "say all sorts of things" especially in front line tech support for instance. Can you give me an idea of the person (jobwise)? And what do you mean about "bugging them about this", your HD560s had good channel matching so why would you have been bugging them about this?

Cool, would you be able to post up the measurements of your HD560s that Oratory sent you?
HD 560s :
HD 560s channel imbalance.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that channel matching is not good, thanks for posting it up. I could do a channel matching EQ for that pair if you like? So that they match "exactly" through the frequency range from 20-8000Hz.
Regarding channel matching, my unit was thankfully quite good re channel matching. (I won't put the following measurements into a wider context as I'm waiting to hear back from Oratory re some related questions. I also have some other measurments from him that I'll post up once I've heard back too.)
My unit's channel matching:
HD560s Channel Matching.png

It's someone high up in company responsible for the 'audiophile product line'. :)

We spoke about the HD560S in confidential mails (and some other products).
Okey Dokes

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Yes, that channel matching is not good, thanks for posting it up. I could do a channel matching EQ for that pair if you like? So that they match "exactly" through the frequency range from 20-8000Hz.
Regarding channel matching, my unit was thankfully quite good re channel matching. (I won't put the following measurements into a wider context as I'm waiting to hear back from Oratory re some related questions. I also have some other measurments from him that I'll post up once I've heard back too.)
My unit's channel matching:
View attachment 164370

Okey Dokes
I no longer own it, returned.

Top Bottom