• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD 660S2

ikd

Compared directly, My HD58X is modified to have lower bass response and thus is very similar to S2 in all aspects, shows that the HD660S2 sounds slightly 'more pleasant' to me. Just a bit more 'refined' in the treble. To be the HD650 has better treble quality than orig HD660S and (modified) HD58X but the HD660S2 is just slightly better.
Don't have the original HD660S though so cannot compare directly but could compare to the same HD58X I still have and had at the same time.
To give you an idea how my HD58X is below my modified + 6kHz passive filtered HD58X (which is not the same as stock HD58X) v.s. HD660S2
View attachment 278241

Below stock HD58X (Romania produced) and HD660S2 do sound different and to me (may not be so for others) and HD660S2 wins.
View attachment 278243

NOT looking at the price difference though.
I can't look into the wallet of others nor say whether or not the (small) increase/difference in SQ is worth it to someone.
The extra € 400.- one has to pay for the HD660S2 thus may not be worth it to most people but could be for someone that appreciates the difference.
Would I trade-in my modified HD58X for a HD660S2 ? Nope as I already have a HD800 which is 'better' in aspects I value the most.
Do I think the HD660S2 is worth € 600.- ? Not to me. Do I think it sounds really good ? Yes.

While I got the FR pretty much the same on FR plots in ideal circumstances and pinna-less there still are differences in the actual drivers.
This is evident when looking at the seal measurements (the HD660S2 reacts much better) due to differences in damping scheme.
Not only impedance (and thus reaction to say the HP output of an AVR) but also damping, resonance frequency and possibly even modal break-up differences in the membrane that could, certainly with many different pinnae, result in audible differences IRL situations.
So similar in FR (modified HD58X) but not the same.
Have you done any 660S2 eq yet?

Dazerdoreal

To my knowledge Solderdude does not publish EQ files.

If I were you, I would try the following:
Use Oratory1990 EQ for the "normal" 660s and reduce the bass low shelf & the treble high shelf filter each 2 DB (Band 2: 3,5DB & Band 9: -4DB).

I think so because according to most measurements, the 660s2 basically is a 660s with some extra bass & high treble, so it should not be too far off.
I dont own a 660s2 so I cannot tell you if it works.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I did not feel it needed passive filtering. I can only attenuate peaks and what this headphone might need is a bit of filling in the upper mids (somewhere between HD600 and HD660S2) and add some subbass. As there is no peaking only some dipping I cannot do any passive filtering.
It is enjoyable as it is but not usable as a 'reference' as in studio monitoring/mixing. You would end up with too bright/clear/forward mixes.
This headphone is designed to enjoy music and that's what is possible... if you do not prefer ultimate clarity and Harman type bass but just want a 'relaxed full sound'.
While it sounds lovely, smooth, low distortion and laid-back as it is from the box I prefer the S5X slightly as it is better extended in the lows and does not sound as laid-back.
Without EQ that is.

When I would use some EQ I would prefer the HD660S2 over the S5X and the HD800(S) over the HD660S2.

Tallulah

Someone has lent me the HD 660S2 and I have had the chance to test and compare them against my HD 600. I only needed 15 minutes of testing. To my ears, it's the HD 600 with a slight sub-bass boost and less energy in the lower-treble. Nothing more, nothing less. It sounds just like an equalized HD 600, don't expect anything new or impressive. There's no magic that will blow your mind. I guess (based on measurements from other people) the drivers could be better matched, but I can't feel any driver mismatch on my HD 600 either.

I could prefer the HD 660S2 stock tuning over the HD 600 stock tuning for some music genres, the sound is less harsh and more inviting overall, although could be a bit veiled for some tracks. However, since I'm already using an EQ on my HD 600 to boost the sub-bass and slightly lower the upper-mids and lower-treble, I don't see any reason to use the HD 660S2.

My preference would be: HD 600 (w/ EQ) > HD 660S2 ≈ HD 600. I'm using oratory1990's EQ (from 20 Hz to 4 kHz, I prefer not touching the treble) to make the frequency response closer to the Harman target and I can say the HD 600 are very capable of doing good sub-bass after equalization.

In brief, considering the price difference between this model and others that sound very similar, I find it hard to recommend the HD 660S2 to anyone unless that person...
· is specifically looking for this "relaxed" tuning
· is not short on money
· does not want to complicate their live with equalization software

Last edited:

isostasy

Having a nosy on squig.link and came across a measurement with KB501X pinna (clone I think) by Kuulokernurkka:
hd660s2.png

hd660s2 comp.png

Galliardist

Major Contributor
- "Sennheiser 660S2"? Are Sennheiser a japanese company now? ;-) Why not just 670..
- I find it kind of funny that they try to imply that the higher impedance is a plus now after they used the 150 Ohm impedance as a big marketing argument for the 660S.
- The core idea seems to be to create a 650 with less upper mids and more bass & treble. Might be close to the 58x then.
- I dont trust these reddit measurements and would not worry too much about them yet. I would be surprised if the dip really is that big.
No, Swiss (consumer division part of Sonova, a medical/hearing aids company). Why are medical companies suddenly buying up audio ones?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Having a nosy on squig.link and came across a measurement with KB501X pinna (clone I think) by Kuulokernurkka:
View attachment 297880
View attachment 297881

Yep, HD660S2 has a little less bass than HD650 and is a bit recessed (on purpose) around 3kHz with smooth treble aside from a small but not sound degrading little 'bump' around 6kHz. Sounds very 'smooth' and natural and does not sound distorted nor 'wrong'. I quite like it, way too high clamping force (which can be fixed).
Not much bass but sounds extended and of good quality. In comparison the bass on the HD660S2 is a bit 'tighter'.

02 blue = HD650, green = HD660S2.png

markanini

Major Contributor
It's seems worth a demo, to see if they reproduce enough treble bite. But, currently priced too close to boutique brands for Sennheiser.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 6kHz 'hump' provides some 'bite'. Any more of that and sibilance could lie around the corner. Fortunately this is not the case (HD660S2 is NOT sibilant) and it just makes the sound not 'dull'.

Worth a demo... yes. Worth € 600 ?. I reckon it would be a good buy for the prices the older HD660S are sold for these days (around €250- €300). The HD660S2 is slightly better sounding than the old HD660S. The differences between these 2 models certainly are not as big as Sennheiser (and their reviewers) are making them out to be.

hd660s2-vs-hd660s.png

A hair (1-2dB) more treble and just a tiny bit more bass extension.

Last edited:

d1m0n

I did not feel it needed passive filtering. I can only attenuate peaks and what this headphone might need is a bit of filling in the upper mids (somewhere between HD600 and HD660S2) and add some subbass. As there is no peaking only some dipping I cannot do any passive filtering.
It is enjoyable as it is but not usable as a 'reference' as in studio monitoring/mixing. You would end up with too bright/clear/forward mixes.
This headphone is designed to enjoy music and that's what is possible... if you do not prefer ultimate clarity and Harman type bass but just want a 'relaxed full sound'.
While it sounds lovely, smooth, low distortion and laid-back as it is from the box I prefer the S5X slightly as it is better extended in the lows and does not sound as laid-back.
Without EQ that is.

When I would use some EQ I would prefer the HD660S2 over the S5X and the HD800(S) over the HD660S2.

Hello solderdude,
may I ask what your PEQ suggestion for the S2 would be?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would probably apply a small subbass boost and EQ in a small amount of upper mids to give it a bit more 'clarity /bite' around 2.5kHz by about 2dB or so.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I sold my HD660S this week and while I was not planning on getting new headphones, a very good deal from my sales guy at Sweetwater came up so I ordered the 660S2 for $439 with 48 months financing ;) Hard to pass this kind of deals LOL

Pursuit

The 6kHz 'hump' provides some 'bite'. Any more of that and sibilance could lie around the corner. Fortunately this is not the case (HD660S2 is NOT sibilant) and it just makes the sound not 'dull'.

Worth a demo... yes. Worth € 600 ?. I reckon it would be a good buy for the prices the older HD660S are sold for these days (around €250- €300). The HD660S2 is slightly better sounding than the old HD660S. The differences between these 2 models certainly are not as big as Sennheiser (and their reviewers) are making them out to be.

hd660s2-vs-hd660s.png

A hair (1-2dB) more treble and just a tiny bit more bass extension.
I have had S2 for a few months. This frequency response looks true to me. There is barely any difference in treble. Volume matched, I even think the 660S is slightly brighter. As to the slight boost in bass, it actually not easy to notice. For clarity, they are exactly at the same level.

There is a little bit difference in stage/imaging. S2 projects mid and low bass a little forward. It creates a sense of depth, but sometimes can be annoying and confusing as if the drum set is in front of the band. Now, I mostly use 660S as daily driver. I listen to all sorts of junk on youtube and the S is just easier to live with as things are in proper place.

Agony

In my opinion all HD6 line are amazing , mostly because the natural presentation . I have ( had) 6xx 58xx and 600,650,660s and i have listen 660s2 on a friend on my device with my tracks.
Until this day i dont understand people saying , 600 are amazing and 650 are trash or the opposite , to me all really close with some small differences and if u like one of them then u will sure like the others a bit more or a bit less.
Other than that in my opinion only 58X doesnt have the quality and technicalities of HD 6 line , to me HD 600 is the most neutral clear of them all ( not bright feeling) , 6xx are the most warm and in real life and music that i listen has the most bass , 650 are like 6xx but a bit more airy on highs , HD660s are a Hybrid of HD 600 and HD 650 , on bass they are like 600 that i love without that midbass of 650 , they sound tight on bass and are a bit more relaxed on mids highs compared to 600 ( even if to my ears some tracks sound more clear on 660s maybe it has something to do with tuning i dont know ) . HD 660s2 to my ears are exactly like 660S on 90% of tracks that i listen , only when i use some tracks with a lot of low end i hear the difference in sub bass, but honestly HD6XX have way more bass overall on most tracks that i listen .
To me the best for my taste is HD 660s2 because it has something of them all , but i dont and i will not buy it the reason is that imaging separation and speed is exactly like 660s and also this sub bass makes no difference at all to me on most of my tracks.

So for HD6 lovers my opinion is , HD6000 for vocals and a bit more clarity , HD650 for smoother warmer more bass feeling, and HD660s2 if u want to have something of both worlds but with better imaging and separation ( some will say that there is no difference but to me there is ) , For people like me having 660s in my opinion doesnt worth to get also 660s2 but it worth it if u dont already have 660s.
I think that Sennheiser only needs HD 600 , 650 and 660s2 and have to stop making 660s1 its pointless . 660S in my opinion will take the road of HD700 this 150ohm driver is cursed :) but its good for collectors ( i know some say that the blue driver of 660s and 700 are not the same , to me it is even if i am wrong :) )

Also i have to say about prices, 250-300 for 600 and 650 are great prices and to me HD660s2 should cost no more than 300 anything more than that doesn't worth it ( between this line and not compared to other headphones , i know that there are way more expensive worst headphones)

Last edited:

Agony

I have had S2 for a few months. This frequency response looks true to me. There is barely any difference in treble. Volume matched, I even think the 660S is slightly brighter. As to the slight boost in bass, it actually not easy to notice. For clarity, they are exactly at the same level.

There is a little bit difference in stage/imaging. S2 projects mid and low bass a little forward. It creates a sense of depth, but sometimes can be annoying and confusing as if the drum set is in front of the band. Now, I mostly use 660S as daily driver. I listen to all sorts of junk on youtube and the S is just easier to live with as things are in proper place.
I had the same feeling i could not notice the difference in clarity texture , and low bass is only noticeable on specific tracks , 660s2 is amazing headphone in my opinion is the Headphone that Does nothing Amazing but everything really good. If i had to have only one this would be it .( or 660s are 95% the same to me )

Top Bottom