• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD 598 SE* Review (headphone)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Were you able to hear the effect of that 16 kHz filter?
O I think I understand. Yes, the 16KHz was noticeable but I had to max it out to get a pronounced effect. The bass does not go very low and so I just minimized that to help alleviate the clipping issue.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are the PEQ settings for my Sennheiser HD 598SR. I have not had time to extensively adjust the Q and stuff but that's coming.
peace on-off.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
Here are the PEQ settings for my Sennheiser HD 598SR. I have not had time to extensively adjust the Q and stuff but that's coming. View attachment 156602
I'd set the zero db point at 2khz and take everything else down accordingly, drop the 16khz to the same as 8khz---doubt there's all that much to hear up there---so the eq is set to something closer to the correct overall levels. I'd probably also drop the 166hz control down a couple of db, that headphone is particularly muddy down there. I've got the HD 599, very similar.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd set the zero db point at 2khz and take everything else down accordingly, drop the 16khz to the same as 8khz---doubt there's all that much to hear up there---so the eq is set to something closer to the correct overall levels. I'd probably also drop the 166hz control down a couple of db, that headphone is particularly muddy down there. I've got the HD 599, very similar.
Alrighty... I adjusted accordingly and found it's not all that bad and so am testing it out.
peace- test drive.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So is this based on my upper range setting at the 8KHz to 16 KHz? Or you picked 2KHz for a reason?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Alrighty... I adjusted accordingly and found it's not all that bad and so am testing it out.
View attachment 156636
I'm sorry: what I mean is "Take 2khz as the 0db point, taking all other levels down by the same amount. Once I saw the actual level adjustments [wasn't paying attention to the scale or the levels] I checked out Amir's EQ. Looks like 2k needed a boost anyway. These settings would get closer to what he came up with. Now that I'm looking again and seeing how you have eq-ed, let's try this:

20hz: + 6db
42hz: + 6db
83hz: - 2db
166hz - 4db
333hz: -5 db
577hz: + 3db
1000hz: +0 db
2000hz: +6db
4000hz: +0db
8000hz: +0db
16000hz: +0db
20000hz: +0db

This would be closer to what Amir came up with. I'd use this as a starting point, making adjustments to taste. However, it would be even better if you downloaded APO EQ and used the parametric adjustments Amir cooked up.

rsoffer

Came across this review and was sad to see the alternate pads being used.

I have the original HD598 with original velour pads. It is one of my favorite headphones, I love them even more than my HD650s. Everyone who listens to them is impressed by their smooth and fun sound signature. They're a true classic and I would never sell them.

I'm happy to send them over to Amir if he wants to test them.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I have the original HD598 with original velour pads. It is one of my favorite headphones, I love them even more than my HD650s. Everyone who listens to them is impressed by their smooth and fun sound signature. They're a true classic and I would never sell them.

Please do, I believe aftermarket pads changed FR significantly

tdockweiler

These measurements and review should have been deleted IMO.
At least until the stock pads could have been tested with it too.

This is almost a bit unfair to Sennheiser.
There is no way they would release a headphone with those kind of measurements.

The HD-598 we all know and love sounds nothing like what is shown in those measurements.

I've owned one for a few years and if anything, it is actually bass light, but sounds great overall.
I also prefer it to my HD-650. The only reason I no longer have it is the plastic frame broke.
I've always been tempted to buy another. I miss it a lot.

I mean you could have at least put in the title (Aftermarket pads).

BTW the only thing I disliked about the HD-598 is the original yellowish color.
It reminded me of one of those old discolored Super Nintendos!

Would be fun to compare these to the newer AKG K612 Pro.
They have a lot of similarities.
Before the K712 and Q701 came out, most people preferred the more neutral sound of the K601 to the K701/K702.

I've had the Q701 bass mod in place for years and to me I even prefer it to the K712.

If you can believe it I just threw away two K400s :(

rsoffer

These measurements and review should have been deleted IMO.
At least until the stock pads could have been tested with it too.

This is almost a bit unfair to Sennheiser.
There is no way they would release a headphone with those kind of measurements.

The HD-598 we all know and love sounds nothing like what is shown in those measurements.

I've owned one for a few years and if anything, it is actually bass light, but sounds great overall.
I also prefer it to my HD-650. The only reason I no longer have it is the plastic frame broke.
I've always been tempted to buy another. I miss it a lot.

I mean you could have at least put in the title (Aftermarket pads).

BTW the only thing I disliked about the HD-598 is the original yellowish color.
It reminded me of one of those old discolored Super Nintendos!

Would be fun to compare these to the newer AKG K612 Pro.
They have a lot of similarities.
Before the K712 and Q701 came out, most people preferred the more neutral sound of the K601 to the K701/K702.

I've had the Q701 bass mod in place for years and to me I even prefer it to the K712.

If you can believe it I just threw away two K400s :(

Ha, I loved the beige / brown color. Reminds of an older Mercedes interior.

flogen

Was this ever resolved? I just ordered a new pair of velour pads for my 598s -- I made the switch to thick leather pads and was DISMAYED at the performace - went from clear, open, and bright to muddy and over-bassy. Went through the Peace EQ to try and mitigate the damage, which helped maybe 60%, but the stage obviously never opened. Only bonus was better isolation from room noise.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@amirm what's the process on sending these in? I have a brand new pair I don't really touch I'm willing to send in to settle this pad replacement delema. Is that something you'd even be interested in?

Top Bottom