• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD 579---a hidden jem?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I managed to get a lot of Sennheiser headphones, in large part thanks to a website that was selling open box returns at deep discounts. I also got a pair of Drop 6XX headphones, $220 at the time. Others include the Urbanite XL, sorta Sennheiser's response to the "Beats" phenomenon of headphones with extra bass, and the HD 599 with its certifiably weird color combo of gold, tan and "silver" accents.

I bought the 579s years ago, long before catching on to ASR and didn't pay them much mind until a few weeks ago when the cable for my Drop 6XXs broke and I wanted a pair of 'phones I could play with. I pull out the HD 599s first, thinking they should be the best. Highs managed to be both too much and nasty and blurry at the same time. The Urbanites were as expected, too much bass and not enough treble. The 6XXs were non-functional but will be back in action soon. That left (among the living Sennheiser 'phones) the HD 579. Much to my surprise, I found myself enjoying them more than the Sennheiser/Drop 6XXs.

All the previously mentioned Sennheiser 'phones had a touch of blur or 'haze' in the upper octaves. The HD 579s didn't. Maybe a touch less treble than the HD 599s, but those phones didn't sound good at all to these ears*. The Drop 6XXs did and do, but there was something more solid and substantial with the sound of the upper partials with the HD 579 'phones. In other regards, it has the usual 'phat' upper bass/lower midrange elevation.

Here's a frequency response graph:

HD579-768x348.jpg

And here is Clio's feline seal of approval:

DSCF5925.JPG

Solderdude said in a PM that he didn't measure them on account of the HD599 appearing to be more interesting. I'm hoping Arim can check them out, I can subjectively state that they are better than I expected, being the only midpriced (around $200 new) Sennheiser 'phones devoid of the notorious Sennheiser 'haze'.

*My subjective response. YMMV of course.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
do they sound flat or "reference" like the OG hd598? I remember trying a few models in the 5xx lines (both vintage stuff or newer), most of them are quite nice but they are either treble-oriented or a bit too neutral and unexciting for me.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
do they sound flat or "reference" like the OG hd598? I remember trying a few models in the 5xx lines (both vintage stuff or newer), most of them are quite nice but they are either treble-oriented or a bit too neutral and unexciting for me.
Haven't heard the 598. Compared to other Sennheiser 'phones, the HD 579s have more of an 'edge' in the upper registers while at the same time being more 'neutral in the upper partials. So, the tonal balance sounds neutral, but the usual 'haze' is absent.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Haven't heard the 598. Compared to other Sennheiser 'phones, the HD 579s have more of an 'edge' in the upper registers while at the same time being more 'neutral in the upper partials. So, the tonal balance sounds neutral, but the usual 'haze' is absent.
I think if you like that type of sound presentation (less or no 'haze') you will like older senns like the original HD540 and HD560. The treble is quite clear, crisp and airy with those models. IIRC they were highly regarded back in the days.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
I replaced the cable for the Drop 6XX a long time ago, went back to those without thinking too much about the HD 579s. I'm listening to the HD 579s right now, the impression is the same. They seem more "focused" than the Drop 6XXs. I've also been listening to the AKG K371s a lot lately. They are more focused than the Drop headphones as well, though I find them less comfortable to wear for a long time. They also have more bass. If their clamping force was lower, I'd like them more. But as it is, I'm about to spend more time with the HD 579 'phones.

mc.god

HD579 and 599 should sound very close as per Crincale measurements

graph.png

so the difference you noticed at the time is a bit strange, maybe they had worn pads? More, I don't know if 579 has angled drivers like 599, this too can make a difference in perceived audio.

[EDIT]
Sennheiser page of the 579 doesn't mention E.A.R design that should be the angled driver configuration, so it really can be this.

Last edited:
OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
HD579 and 599 should sound very close as per Crincale measurements

View attachment 332821

so the difference you noticed at the time is a bit strange, maybe they had worn pads? More, I don't know if 579 has angled drivers like 599, this too can make a difference in perceived audio.
Others have noticed the same difference - here's a review with a subjective evaluation from the time the headphone was in production. I don't think it's the pads, I think it's baked in. I bought both headphones new, so the pads should be the same. Like I said before, I also had the HD 599 headphones, didn't like them, gave them away:

mc.god

Others have noticed the same difference - here's a review with a subjective evaluation from the time the headphone was in production. I don't think it's the pads, I think it's baked in. I bought both headphones new, so the pads should be the same. Like I said before, I also had the HD 599 headphones, didn't like them, gave them away:

It really can be the effect of the 599 angled drivers, resulting in more direct and aggressive highs to your ears.
This also can be what the review was referring to, but I'd not be surprised if they "perceived" it just because Senns specs FR to 38.5k for 599 and "only" 28k for 579 ;)

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
It really can be the effect of the 599 angled drivers, resulting in more direct and aggressive highs to your ears.
This also can be what the review was referring to, but I'd not be surprised if they "perceived" it just because Senns specs FR to 38.5k for 599 and "only" 28k for 579 ;)
I think it's probably due to the angled drivers. I noted when using the headphones while watching movies that dialog was clearer and more focused with the HD 579s compared to the HD 599s. All I can say is that I ultimately gave up on the HD 599s.

mc.god

Having them with you, can you confirm that 579 drivers are not angled? From some pictures online it seems they are angled too, but not clear. In this case I can't explain the big difference with 599. Well, just out of curiosity.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Having them with you, can you confirm that 579 drivers are not angled? From some pictures online it seems they are angled too, but not clear. In this case I can't explain the big difference with 599. Well, just out of curiosity.
Angled.

mc.god

Top Bottom