• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser CH 650S High End Copper Cable or Generic knock off? Any real difference in sound quality?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
I have preordered the Drop 6XX headphones. Which I believe are exact duplicates of the HD650 series. Looking at possibility going balanced connections. Was kind of shocked by the price tag Sennheiser is asking for their balanced cables at $239.99 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CH-Copper-Connecting-Cable/dp/B00H8AF03W

Or these or something similar:
https://www.amazon.com/NEW-NEOMUSICIA-Compatible-Sennheiser-Headphone/dp/B083HTQRYN

So are these much like any other audio cable snake oil inflicted? Is there any real, audio delivery integrity capability, difference between these two cables?

Any other suggestions if my second selection is not an equal to the OEM cable/connector ?

Thanks in advance for your reply and suggestions.

Maki

Yes, the NEOMUSICA cables are stiff as hell and generally unpleasant feeling. No sound difference. Sennheiser's cables are overpriced but not what I would call snake oil since they don't make any claims about the sound and the price isn't totally insane.

Maki

?? There must $5 BOM there max. DIY: a genuine Neutrik 5 pole XLR is $5.50, the headphone jacks are $1.55 a pair, and Mogami balanced wire is $1.58 a meter. That's $16.50 at full retail in parts.
Looks like a custom machined XLR plug, that's probably driving the price up. Anything under $300 is reasonable for a cable in my book if it's built by hand, soldering the tiny connectors and braiding the wires absolutely sucks. Sennheiser's just looks like a standard cable though, which is why I said it's overpriced.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
AdamG

AdamG

Forum Donor
Why do you want to go balanced?

Not yet certain I do. Just investigating the costs to do so first, so I can make an informed decision. Cheaper cables could influence the decision. If the answer had been yes I must use the Sennheiser cables the decision would have been made as too expensive.

OP
AdamG

AdamG

Forum Donor
Thank you Gentlemen for all the input. Appreciate the effort and help. I know next to nothing about balanced connections for Headphones. This remains a great place to learn from the Experts!

C76

Since you're buying from Drop, wouldn't the balanced cable they sell for the 6XX fit the needs? I see they have a 2.5mm TRRS jack (I know... but you could get an adapter with the money saved) balanced cable for $50, and if you order together with the headphones, the price drops to $40.

I have to admit that I don't understand how a TRRS jack can transport two channels of balanced signal. Wouldn't you need 5 contacts on the connector?

OP
AdamG

AdamG

Forum Donor
Since you're buying from Drop, wouldn't the balanced cable they sell for the 6XX fit the needs? I see they have a 2.5mm TRRS jack (I know... but you could get an adapter with the money saved) balanced cable for $50, and if you order together with the headphones, the price drops to $40.

I have to admit that I don't understand how a TRRS jack can transport two channels of balanced signal. Wouldn't you need 5 contacts on the connector?

Hi C76,

Yes that is exactly what I did when I realized drop had a set of bal cords for sale. They have already shipped. Thanks for the heads up/tip in any case. When I asked the question here I had not seen it.

Top Bottom