• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Semi-Active Speakers

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are everyone's opinions on semi-active loudspeakers? I was at my friend's house over new year and they had a pair of GoldenEar Triton T2s which had surprising bass extension for their size. I found these old Sterophile measurements and they match up with what I heard.
212GT2fig3.jpg

Given their size, I don't know any other speakers that compare.
212gold.promo_.jpg

Scrappy

Semi-active as in bi-wire, or line-level xover and processing for lows or mid HI’s? Wonder if they had to throw a bunch of filters at the lows.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Semi-active as in bi-wire, or line-level xover and processing for lows or mid HI’s? Wonder if they had to throw a bunch of filters at the lows.
These speakers have a built in sub, but need an amp for all other frequencies

Scrappy

Interesting. Does it give outputs for the standalone amp?

I can RTFM of course… ha

Bmoze

Forum Donor
I’ve had these speakers (Triton 2+) for a few years. I auditioned them and a set of Revels in my home, music-only system. Both we’re great, I thought, but the bass extension of the Tritons won me over. I use a 40W Decware tube amp with it, and a Sabaj Dac. (Tubes..acquired before I discovered ASR, but they match well with the Tritons). Adjusted with REW through Roon, they sound great. I have a 2.1 system (actives/sub) in my study, and a sub in a separate 5.1 HT system. The Triton’s bass is not as impactful as a separate sub, but to me, for music, it sounds balanced and natural.

OP
E

Elitzur–Vaidman

Interesting. Does it give outputs for the standalone amp?

I can RTFM of course… ha
I didn't have the chance to pull out my buddy's pair to inspect the back, but I don't think so. I'm really intrigued about the DIY potential for similar applications.

Kachda

Forum Donor
I heard them at a dealer. Didn't really like them too much except for the bass extension. The dealer had the PSB Imagine T3 which I much preferred over this.

T3 Freq response as published by stereophile.
816PSBT3fig4.jpg

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have not hear them but Definitive Technology has several models with built-in subwoofers. Vandersteen also does a few.

Due to the nature of electrostats, Martin Logan also takes this approach.

It is a valid design approach (notably for those who cannot or will not do separate subwoofers).

Last edited:

Punter16

Here's a review we did a while back on Def Tech's bipolar technology. There are pros and cons to be sure.

Top Bottom