• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Selective sync to get music from PC/NAS to Android device

hoverdonkey

I would be grateful for any advice on a nice simple way of getting music onto my Android phone.

My music library is setup up as Music folder/Artist folder/Album folder/Track file.flac. The library is available on both locally on Windows 10 PC and also over my network on a NAS (SMB), so either a Windows prog (direct USB connection to phone) or Android (for wifi to NAS) could work.

Years ago (we're talking Windows XP) I used to have the perfect prog (for me) on Windows called vpod, but it is long gone (and I think it was only for ipods, so no good to me now even if I could find it). It worked by browsing a tree view of my library, by putting a tick in a box against a folder (either at artist or album level) or against individual track files, then press "transfer" which would set up the full path on the phone for my selections, i.e. from the Music folder down. As I merrily added the ticks, it would tot-up space committed on the fly, vs. space available on the phone, so I would know when to stop. It was dead simple and I would love to have a current equivalent.

The Windows Media Player built in sync fuction works quite well for me, but since WMP insists on tinkering with album art, I won't use it.

Any suggestions would be very welcome please!

Chazz6

My files are on a Windows 10 PC, too. Minimserver there sends them out the home network per command from BubbleUPnP on the Android device.

I can play the files locally on the Android device when I wish, which is almost never. BubbleUPnP will command playback ("render" in DLNA/UPnP parlance) to a wifi receiver unit that feeds the DAC of the stereo system proper.

ian mitch romero

I would be grateful for any advice on a nice simple way of getting music onto my Android phone.

My music library is setup up as Music folder/Artist folder/Album folder/Track file.flac. The library is available on both locally on Windows 10 PC and also over my network on a NAS (SMB), so either a Windows prog (direct USB connection to phone) or Android (for wifi to NAS) could work.

Years ago (we're talking Windows XP) I used to have the perfect prog (for me) on Windows called vpod, but it is long gone (and I think it was only for ipods, so no good to me now even if I could find it). It worked by browsing a tree view of my library, by putting a tick in a box against a folder (either at artist or album level) or against individual track files, then press "transfer" which would set up the full path on the phone for my selections, i.e. from the Music folder down. As I merrily added the ticks, it would tot-up space committed on the fly, vs. space available on the phone, so I would know when to stop. It was dead simple and I would love to have a current equivalent.

The Windows Media Player built in sync fuction works quite well for me, but since WMP insists on tinkering with album art, I won't use it.

Try this awesome tool https://musconv.com/ , you can thank me later. :D

Top Bottom