• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Selah Integrity DIY Speaker Kit Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amir. Nice review!
What tracks and what filter do you recommend please?
These are two of them:

1598857061176.png

The subsonic bass in the second one arrives in the later part of the track. Be very careful! It can severely stress the speaker at higher volumes or damage it.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I have no idea what the reduced baffle area might contribute (or more accurately reduce) as far as diffraction effects, etc... but I have to say the ones built for the photos (on the Meniscus page) look quite stunning in comparison to the straight "monkey coffin" design from the normal kit. I'm nowhere near good enough in my woodworking skills to pull those off, but maybe having them made wouldn't be too horrendous (but probably double the kit costs at least). ;)
Integrity-roswood-Front-View.jpgIntegrity-roswood-Back-View.jpg

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I'm pleased the speaker did well, you don't want to have to give a bad review to a speaker that is dedicated to someone's living memory, could have been tricky. Pleased to see it did pretty well.

Beave

Major Contributor
These are two of them:

View attachment 80726

The subsonic bass in the second one arrives in the later part of the track. Be very careful! It can severely stress the speaker at higher volumes or damage it.

Apologies for nit-picking, but the terminology should be sub-bass, not subsonic bass. Subsonic generally refers to the speed of sound, ie, being below the speed of sound, not the frequency of sound. (The terms subsonic has also been used to describe sounds below the threshold of hearing - but in amplitude, not frequency. However, I don't see this in any 'official' definitions, so it may be an incorrect usage.)

One could also use infrasonic bass, but that's generally reserved for frequencies below 20Hz.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
One thing I noticed in the measurements is that the impedance phase drops to near -70 degrees around 70-80Hz, where there could be a lot of content. Fortunately the magnitude is relatively high, but that large phase angle combined with the low sensitivity of the speakers could stress some (many?) amps when playing these at high volumes.

Maiky76

Hi,

Sad news but, his work will be remembered http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

the LW not great:
Integrity LW data.png

Score no EQ: 5.89
Score EQed: 6.48
Rather counter intuitive EQ that would would need listening.
I did not try to EQ the behavior in the 1000 - 3000Hz range.

Integrity EQed Spinorama.png

Code:
    freq        Gain     Q
     765.5,    -0.55,   3.33,...
    3942.0,    -1.73,   5.07,...
    6835.0,    -1.74,   3.88,...
   11200.0,    -0.75,   1.55,...

Integrity EQ design.png

The other graphs are attached.

Attachments

• Vertical 3D Directivity data.png
    Vertical 3D Directivity data.png
    691 KB · Views: 99
  • Integrity Regression - Tonal.png
    Integrity Regression - Tonal.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Integrity Radar.png
    Integrity Radar.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Integrity 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png
    Integrity 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png
    345.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Integrity 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    Integrity 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    467.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Integrity 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    Integrity 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • Integrity 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    Integrity 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • Integrity Normalized Directivity data.png
    Integrity Normalized Directivity data.png
    439.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Integrity Raw Directivity data.png
    Integrity Raw Directivity data.png
    799 KB · Views: 123
  • Integrity Reflexion data.png
    Integrity Reflexion data.png
    222 KB · Views: 112
  • Integrity Spinorama Correct data.png
    Integrity Spinorama Correct data.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Horizontal 3D Directivity data.png
    Horizontal 3D Directivity data.png
    485.9 KB · Views: 117

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have no idea what the reduced baffle area might contribute (or more accurately reduce) as far as diffraction effects, etc... but I have to say the ones built for the photos (on the Meniscus page) look quite stunning in comparison to the straight "monkey coffin" design from the normal kit. I'm nowhere near good enough in my woodworking skills to pull those off, but maybe having them made wouldn't be too horrendous (but probably double the kit costs at least). ;)
View attachment 80729View attachment 80730

I've been wanting to try my hand at some curved pieces. Anyone have any idea how they made the front left and right piece? Is it gentle enough that one can form some plywood with soaking and time or is it just easier to kerf it? Or maybe just some other technique I am not aware of?

Last edited:

Maiky76

If you add one Biquad:
2005.0, -1.40, 4.50
Integrity EQ2 design.png

The score is improved to 6.59
Integrity EQed2 Spinorama.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Apologies for nit-picking, but the terminology should be sub-bass, not subsonic bass. Subsonic bass implies low level bass (amplitude), so low in level that it can't be heard, not low frequency.

One could also use infrasonic bass, but that's generally reserved for frequencies below 20Hz.
You won't hear the bass that does damage here.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The kit cost starts at $630 plush shipping for a pair.
The kit does not come with a knock-down cabinet.
I am putting it as $700 for the price in my spreadsheets.

$625 + shipping (and applicable tax) for the base kit.

$645 + shipping/tax for the “full” kit which comes with screws, terminals, damping material, etc.

Optional upgrades max out at ~$265, which includes pre-assembled crossovers.

Photo on website (chamfered edges not in required plans):
Integrity-roswood-Front-View.jpg

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I noticed in the measurements is that the impedance phase drops to near -70 degrees around 70-80Hz, where there could be a lot of content. Fortunately the magnitude is relatively high, but that large phase angle combined with the low sensitivity of the speakers could stress some (many?) amps when playing these at high volumes.
If Amir provides the data files then someone can calculate the EPDR to find out the equivalent load the amp will see :p

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are two of them:

View attachment 80726

Thanks. If I can find it, I will visualize it in iZotope RX to see which frequencies are involved.

Beave

Major Contributor
You won't hear the bass that does damage here.

Probably because it's too low in frequency for this speaker to reproduce it with sufficiently high amplitude and low distortion.

If it's truly below audible range, such as the bass sound effects in some movies, then it should be called infrasonic.

My guess is that it's somewhere between 20Hz and 60Hz, which would fall in the range described as sub-bass.

(FWIW, I edited my earlier post for clarity.)

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The spin-o-rama seemed promising even if flawed but, like the BMR, distorsion simply isn't acceptable for a 3-way design. Little question from someone unfamiliar with passive radiators, aren't they supposed to work like a port, reducing excursion of the active woofer to almost zero at the tuning point (which looks like 40 Hz)? Because the very small dip in THD at that exact frequency isn't what I expected.

Last edited:

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With the treble uptilt, I wonder if a room with lots of fabric- thick carpet, heavy drapes, furniture- and maybe a big enough room where the speakers could be some distance from side walls - would help tame it some.

A friend suggested that any owner could just turn down the treble a little on their stereo. I explained that REAL hi-fi gear doesn't have anything as pedestrian as a "treble" control... but that certain $4500 speaker cables have what is essentially a low pass series network in them which could help. It's all about system matching. Imagine suggesting the use of a tone control to improve the sound! My friend- obviously a philistine. Why, I bet he doesn't even use speaker cable elevator trestles in his system!

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a good one. Perhaps I would tweak it with 1 dB lower response of the tweeter. Depends a bit how many pillows you have in the sofa and the carpet size.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The kit cost starts at $630 plush shipping for a pair.

I like the idea of plush shipping for my speakers. I presume they are carefully packed and seated in a comforable first class seat, with a glass of champagne and canapes, served by the ever hospitable and attentive purser, @Thomas savage?

Top Bottom