• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seems this subforum, among other things, is the place for 'new member' Introductions, so...

exRanger

Hey y'all,

Just joined a few minutes ago, another arrival from AudioKarma, where I have been Mystic-fying (more like terrorizing) folks for ~14 years. Picked a new "alias" for ASR, something more germane to my past life experiences than, um, mysticism. (Insert Guy Smoking Smilie Here)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hey y'all,

Just joined a few minutes ago, another arrival from AudioKarma, where I have been Mystic-fying (more like terrorizing) folks for ~14 years. Picked a new "alias" for ASR, something more germane to my past life experiences than, um, mysticism. (Insert Guy Smoking Smilie Here)

Welcome to the forum. So, your Ex is a Ranger? That must have been fun...;)
/s

OP
exRanger

exRanger

Welcome to the forum. So, your Ex is a Ranger? That must have been fun...;)
/s

Eight years of action, wedged between college and graduate school. Ha, it had it's better and not better moments, but honestly, if I had it to do over (knowing in advance what would ensue), yeah, I'd do it again.

OP
exRanger

exRanger

PS: Although, as I was just reminded by an AKer, one is never an "ex" Ranger, one of the team's mottos being "Once a Ranger, always a Ranger."

skippy_ps

PS: Although, as I was just reminded by an AKer, one is never an "ex" Ranger, one of the team's mottos being "Once a Ranger, always a Ranger."
Lol. I remember my favorite day when I was in the U.S. Army. I was in Oakland at the time and was being discharged that day. :cool: Cab to SFO and back home to TX.

OP
exRanger

exRanger

Welcome to the forum. Please pardon my ignorance but what is the total scope of the job of a Ranger?

The work of the U.S. Army Ranger unit, which was established in (roughly) 1620, was @ its conception intended to patrol between fixed points (i.e., bases) of operation and enemy lines, i.e., reconnaissance. The particular type of unit to which I was assigned in the late 1970s was called an LRRP, i.e., Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol. Because of the Rangers' talent for travelling deeply into/behind enemy lines, many formations are known as "Ghost" units.

Since the American Revolution, the Ranger units have served in a variey of capacities, e.g., in WW2 they were a prominent element of the D-Day invasion of France and advancement to and beyond TR's first lines of defense to establish control of the field of battle for subsequent forces, e.g., artillery and infantry. Same thing re: a Ranger unit known to history as Merrill's Marauders, also during WW2, in the CBI (China-Burma-India) portion of the Pacific Theater. The Rangers are are sort of precursor (and model) for Delta Force, with which the Rangers coexist and often cooperate in joint special operations till this day.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Welcome!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Hey y'all,

duuuuude! :)

I mean -- ahem -- never saw this guy before in my life.
Honest.
I know nothing. Nothing!

:cool:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've only known one ex-Ranger.

He was smaller than me, I'm not a big guy.

This was in Owasso, Oklahoma, the then-new-pre-meltdown headquarters for WorldCom.

1585212821748.png

Lunch would come around, we'd nap and eat cafeteria food if we didn't go out.

He'd go run 30 miles or so.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I've only known one ex-Ranger.

He was smaller than me, I'm not a big guy.

This was in Owasso, Oklahoma, the then-new-pre-meltdown headquarters for WorldCom.

View attachment 55771

Lunch would come around, we'd nap and eat cafeteria food if we didn't go out.

He'd go run 30 miles or so.

What would the world be without Obsessive's outlets for their obsessions? :rolleyes: Hey, ASR plays a similar role to some degree. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom