• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking recommendation for Bluetooth DAC/AMP

Ty Bower

I'm looking for something portable to use with an iPhone 12. It will likely be paired with other devices in the future. Bluetooth is the required connection. My headphones are Audio Technica ATH M50x and Sony MDR V6. I believe both are of moderate impedance (32~64 ohms) and reasonably efficient. I do not prefer the volume loud, nor the bass heavy.

I had been using an Audio Technica AT-PHA50BT for quite a few years. I believe this device was released around 2015. Honestly, I have no complaints about the PHA50. It would be nice if it could simultaneously charge & play, but such is life. I'd buy another, but they are not especially easy to find. They also tend to be on the pricier side when they are found. Certainly technology has made advances since it was released.

Amir did a very nice review of the Qudelix 5K.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...qudelix-5k-bluetooth-dac-headphone-amp.17386/

Asylum Seeker suggested some kind of round-up for exactly the kind of device I'm trying to find. Unfortunately, the thread does not appear to include any reviews, nor useful conclusions.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...usb-dac-amp-bluetooth-receiver-devices.11577/

At the moment, I'm leaning toward the FiiO BTR3K. I could be swayed toward the more expensive BTR5 if someone thought the additional power output would be of any tangible benefit to me.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Qudelix 5K, primarily for the parametric equalizer, which will allow for a greater improvement in sound quality of a headphone than any other differences between competently designed DAC/amps.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I know this will sound strange but how about DAP instead? Would actually recommend HiBy R3Pro which is around 180~200$. It's not been mesured hire yet all do there's a lot of subjective reviews around. The R3 didn't actually done great (nor probably would other similar DAC based devices).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wolfx700-measurement-of-hiby-r3.10922/
Reson behind the recommendation is that we didn't ever see a real bad implementation with CS43131 so far and it's very complex DAC perfect for mobile/battery use (around 40% more power efficient than solutions based on AKM and ES M DAC's), and perfect for higher integration (as there is no interface which could use its potential fully right now).
Any way take your time and think about it.

OP
T

Ty Bower

I received the FiiO BTR5 in the post this afternoon. In the few hours that it has been in my hands, I've been extremely pleased with it. Zero regrets.

Range is adequate for a Bluetooth device. It's physical size is ideal; I honestly would not want anything smaller. SQ is rather good to my untrained ear, and power is more than enough for my needs. It does have a different sound from the FiiO K5 Pro that sits on my desktop and typically handles headphone duty. The difference is very subtle, and impossible for me to put into words. The USB DAC feature is an unexpected bonus, as that was not something which I originally expected to find useful.

I did install the FiiO app on my phone. It works almost perfectly. The initial connection/pairing seemed a bit fidgety, but it's fine now that it has connected once. There is a feature in the app to disable the remote button (built into the cord of certain headsets), but it is always stuck on. I don't care, as my headphones have no such button.

I'd cheerfully suggest this FiiO to anyone in need of a similar Bluetooth interface.

Fish17

I received the FiiO BTR5 in the post this afternoon. In the few hours that it has been in my hands, I've been extremely pleased with it. Zero regrets.

Range is adequate for a Bluetooth device. It's physical size is ideal; I honestly would not want anything smaller. SQ is rather good to my untrained ear, and power is more than enough for my needs. It does have a different sound from the FiiO K5 Pro that sits on my desktop and typically handles headphone duty. The difference is very subtle, and impossible for me to put into words. The USB DAC feature is an unexpected bonus, as that was not something which I originally expected to find useful.

I did install the FiiO app on my phone. It works almost perfectly. The initial connection/pairing seemed a bit fidgety, but it's fine now that it has connected once. There is a feature in the app to disable the remote button (built into the cord of certain headsets), but it is always stuck on. I don't care, as my headphones have no such button.

I'd cheerfully suggest this FiiO to anyone in need of a similar Bluetooth interface.
I’m in the same boat are you still pleased with your BTR5? Have u used to the usb DAC at all?

I wish this unit got test to see how that USB DAC performs.

Last edited:
OP
T

Ty Bower

Yes, I'm very pleased with my BTR5. Absolutely no regrets. It gets used nearly every day. My iPhone has no headphone jack, so Bluetooth is my preferred connectivity option. I recognize the BTR5 may be somewhat overkill for this application, as all (?) Apple products use AAC only over Bluetooth. The higher fidelity codecs available on the BTR5 are largely wasted.

I don't typically use the USB DAC feature of mine. I tested it out when I first received the device, and found it worked very well. Just remember to install the FiiO USB drivers, as Windows 10 will not natively recognize it.

I have discovered that my old Audio Technica AT-PHA50BT is no longer acceptable. The noise floor, which was previously not noticed by me, is now painfully obvious. The BTR5 has a perfect, inky black background with absolutely no hiss or noise. Sigh. I guess the old dog was content to eat dog food for many years, until the day he was given steak.

There are very few areas for improvement, in my opinion. I easily get 6 to 8 hours of battery life, but longer would always be nice. It does run slightly warm after a few hours of operation, but never uncomfortably so. The glass front & rear is attractive, but also slippery. I have a night table next to my bed, and it is not perfectly level. If I set the BTR5 down on the stand, I will find it on the floor a while later. I think FiiO could have designed a textured plastic case that might be attractive & functional.

I would also be keen to see test results for the BTR5. Until then, I'm content to simply use it.

Top Bottom