• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking "Budget" TOSLINK 48kHz DAC - Thoughts on these?

kouki_monster

Hi all,

First post here. Thanks for having me. Great to see forums like this out there...

I found you guys while researching the FiiO D03K. I see that you guys measured this DAC, and that it seemed "meh" when used with 48kHz signals.

I am looking for an inexpensive, preferably small form-factor DAC, for use in a specific case - with an Apple TV (3rd Gen.) which has a TOSLINK output port for audio, which due to the Apple TV's software, is always output at 48kHz. It seems like many DACs do alright with 44.1kHz (I guess they engineer them for this.. makes sense in a way, but IMO they should be engineering everything for multiples of 48kHz these days.. but that's a topic for another discussion heh), but start to struggle at 48kHz. Why? I would understand something like 192kHz, but anyway...

After scouring the net, I found a couple of other worthy contenders and was hoping you guys could provide some review or feedback on either. I might also be willing to entertain the idea of working with the head-honcho here so that we could get these babies tested. In all honesty, my particular use-case doesn't really require anything amazing, but I like for things to be "right," and I love listening to music - the cleaner the better!

1. Xantech XT-DAC-12 - I couldn't find any info about this DAC. Heck I could barely find any info about the company. They seem to make professional-level integration equipment. This tells me that the DAC could be wonderful (solid, professional-level R&D and components integrated) or it could be trash (DACs aren't their specialty). Since I'm new to this, I don't know how much a DAC is "just a piece of electronic equipment" that anyone with extensive electrical engineering knowledge could develop, or if there are fine intricacies to DAC's that should be left to the seasoned experts.

2. HiFiMeDIY S/PDIF Optical DAC - I've seen this company recommended on more than one occasion but it seems too good to be true. Actual audiophile quality gear for peanuts? Just because they don't advertise or spend money on "bling," could this DAC really be so incredible for a mere $50? It looks perfect for my use.. I just have no idea how it performs.

3. Insignia™ - Optical/Coaxial Digital-to-Analog Converter - Best Buy product. Probably garbage, but ya never know? Over 2000 reviews on BBY website by sheeple, but not any real objective data in all that noise.

I noticed that there are literally dozens of cheap DACs all over Amazon and eBay, that seem to fit the bill perfectly. However, am I correct in assuming that they're mostly all no-name garbage?

I also found two small models by SMSL - one (SD-192 Pro) which is now discontinued, and the "TV-DAC" that doesn't seem to be very powerful... so I'm not super interested in either.

In case you're curious, I will be outputting the analogue signal to my JBL 1 Series 104 powered monitor speakers for music exclusively.

Thanks!

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
K

kouki_monster

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, no help there, though. :( The only two inexpensive DACs that have been measured were not recommended. Actually, the thread that's dedicated to that review is what brought me here. I suppose I'll need to collaborate with someone here and get these tested!

OP
K

kouki_monster

Welp, after more research that I would have preferred (lol), it would appear that you get what you pay for here. It sounds like the cheapest discrete DAC worth using would be one of the HiFiMeDIY offerings. Therefore, I am now trying to decide between the ~$60 HiFiMeDIY optical DAC, or one of the standard recommended ~$100 DAC's (D30, Modi 3, etc.). I plan to start another thread for that discussion, but imagine it'll be a "pick one" sort of situation.

What a rabbit hole these hobbies are...

Thanks again, Ray! That database definitely helped me find some good options and narrow it all down. That said, I kept having an issue where the list/filters would reset quite often which made working with it rather frustrating. Either way, after lots of patience, I believe I extracted what I needed!

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
2. HiFiMeDIY S/PDIF Optical DAC - I've seen this company recommended on more than one occasion but it seems too good to be true. Actual audiophile quality gear for peanuts? Just because they don't advertise or spend money on "bling," could this DAC really be so incredible for a mere $50? It looks perfect for my use.. I just have no idea how it performs.

I tried HifiMeDIY UX1 DAC. It didn't perform well, although very likely it was defective. Didn't try their other DACs and returned this one for refund.

OP
K

kouki_monster

Thank you for your response pkane! I just posted my new more updated thread, I imagine it'll be available once "approved." Thanks again for your input!

Top Bottom