• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking advice to build / improve this system where it matters

GreenField

Hi everyone!

Newly registered user here doing my best to learn:).

I'm in the process of putting together a smallish value-for-money audio system or our living room using both new and existing equipment.
The size of the room is 4.5 x 5.6 meters, so around 25 sqm.

I'd like the system to be able to play CD's and stream audio from our phones, and user @staticV3 kindly pointed out the Wiim Mini Audio Streamer as a possibility. We already have an older Sony CD player with optical out that I would like to incorporate into the system unless something speaks against it. We also have an old amplifier that I hope to use, at least until I find out which other value-for-money amplifier would improve the sound quality noticeably.

Today we received the Wiim Streamer and a pair of Dali Oberon 3 speakers to go on top of our furniture at the back wall. The speakers are about 25cm from the back wall, but I still find them a bit bass heavy, so perhaps some possibility to EQ the signal would also be beneficial. I believe there is some form of EQ in the Wiim, but I'm not sure how I would EQ CD playback?

Here is the equipment we already have:

1) Dali Oberon 3 Speakers

2) Wiim Mini Audio Streamer

3) Sony CDP-XE570 CD player with optical out - (pulled out of storage, hope it still works)

4) Tandberg Power Amplifier 3006A - (pulled out of storage, hope it still works)

As far as I can tell the next piece of the puzzle would be a DAC with remote volume control, which can accept optical signals from the Wiim and CD player. It appears that most DAC's only have one optical input, but many also have a digital coaxial input - so I actually already purchased an optical to coaxial converter that I hope to use to connect the CD player with the DAC.

I have read about so many DAC's here that I'm possibly confused on a higher level. At one point I thought that the RME ADI-2 FS was the right one for me, as it appears it would allow me to EQ the signal from all sources including the CD player. However, I'm not sure it would be wise of me to spend so much money on my first standalone DAC, and I could probably live with not being able to EQ the CD playback - so I've been looking at other DAC's as well. The Topping E70 looks nice as well, and I've read rumors of a matching speaker amplifier from Topping being in the works, so those two might work well together with an XLR connection.

I'd be happy for comments on:

1) Other DAC's to consider that will accept two digital inputs and have volume control through a remote.

2) Suggestions on how I might EQ the signal from the CD player.

3) Any other suggestions, corrections and input that you find relevant in order to improve the above system.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!:)

Update: I just discovered the thread about Audiophonics DA-S250NC and DAW-250NC as well as the Sabaj A30A - will read up on them too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom