• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking advice on stereo system upgrade

Stabbyjoe

My current setup is a macbook streaming Tidal via USB to a Denon pma-1600ne amplifier powering a pair of Tannoy XT8F speakers. I also have a pro-ject debut carbon evo turntable which I use on occasion, as well as an optical connection to my LG TV. This setup is placed in my 50m² living room and I am generally happy with the sound quality and enjoy long listening sessions. I am however aware that this is far from an optimal setup and would like to invest in improving it, and would love to get some advice on which areas I should tackle first. I've been reading about room correction software (Dirac live specifically) and have ordered a measurement microphone to use with my laptop to try and improve the sound quality.

Some ideas I had:
1. Replace the laptop with a streamer that will let me select music from a streaming platform on my phone. I am using Tidal right now but I am glad to make the switch to Qobuz or apple music as they are better reviewed in terms of sound quality.
2. Add a DSP component that will let me apply Dirac live room correction to the signal path. Ideally this component will have analog inputs to allow me to apply room correction when playing from the turntable as well.
3. Add a separate DAC that's better than the one in the Denon amplifier
4. Replace the Denon amplifier with one that fits my speakers better

So far I've looked at the Arcam SA30 which is an integrated amplifier with built in Dirac live room correction which would provide an all-in-one solution to my issues as well as the minidsp SHD to place before my amp which should take care of streaming, DSP and DAC duties.

Am I thinking in the right direction? Would appreciate any feedback

giovy_82

Some ideas for you:
1. Very low cost and complete streamer: get a Futro mini PC and install Daphile on it, you will have everything on a web page on your mobile.
2. Buy a coordinated streamer with your Denon amp, for example dnp-800 with HEOS app support. Easier, but subject to Denon upgrades and lifecycle
3. I've just seen a test on an italian magazine about ARCAM CD-S50, which is a complete streamer, SaCD/CD player and so on. Pricier but it is a very good machine.

Top Bottom