• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking advice for pc hifi

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Triliza that's easy, get a PTEq-X VTS and knock your self out. It won't be a real deal (neither will be physical ones which mesure good and use tube for stage buffer only) but it will be close. This way it doesn't cost you anything.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
thank you so much for sharing your experience!
so in powered speakers, isn't DAC a necessity?
if i choose Yamaha HS, do i still need a DAC to improve the sound quality?
The Yamaha HS8 has no digital inputs, so your gonna need a DAC anyways.

If your thinking about another active speaker that has digital inputs, go analog anyways (Balanced & Unbalanced). Most active speakers that come with inner usb dac's don't even do native dsd or even 24bit/192khz. Always go for outside DAC.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my budget is $800 max (including speakers). i donnt need a headphones output, im happy with my sony. but i want to try something new, so maybe a balanced dac with tube? is there something like this?
I’d stay away from tubes particularly in a lower priced DAC. Tubes=Distortion

OP
M

mango.xis

If you think recommending things to people is something easy you are wrong it isn't. Just audition that Yamahas. What ever you buy insist that it doesn't have twitter hiss (either AB class amp or good G-H one). There is a lot of those that are already mesured either hire or elsewhere (including better Kalis which didn't exactly shine) so pick what you like and good luck to you.
i know it’s not like that, we may have different personal preferences, those dac/speakers also have different character.
but i believe coming here is more reliable than buying randomly after seeing some ads.
for a layman like me, if you don't mention the term "hiss", then i will never know. your reply helped me a lot.
can you recommend a DAC for those yamaha hs? under $350. i dont need bluetooth and headphone jack, but volume control is a must.
i will try to audition that combo!

SaltyCDogg

The HS7 didn't get a very good review here, I don't think the HS8 would fair much better. The Kali LP-6v2 would be my choice
See Erin's review here:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@mango.xis there are lots and lots of DAC's that ware mesured around hire.
Take a look at Topping EX5, it has it all for 350$ (preamp, hedaphone amp, LDAC, nice not heavy on your eyes display, remote and power supply is in the enclosure) and it comes in the same colours as Yamaha active monitor's. Of course you have plenty to choose from and as long it's LRX balanced 4V or more you are good (including audio interfaces).

Last edited:
Top Bottom