• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Second Adam Sub10 mkii

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a second Adam Sub10 mkii to accompany my Adam A7x’s. I presently connect my RME ADI-2 DAC to my sub and the sub to the monitors. With a second sub, I can run the subs in stereo or daisy chain them. Is one way preferred over the other? Does it make a difference? FWIW, I am in a small room that is well treated (bass traps, first reflections, etc).

As an aside, I should say I am an electronic and audio science dolt. Much of the conversation on the various forums is over my head. Yet I totally dig this site (it played a large part in my purchase of the ADI-2). I always thought the language of audiophile marketing was subjective silliness. I appreciate Amir’s work to bring some sanity (and reality) to the hobby.

Thanks,
Chip

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
good question.

KozmoNaut

I would daisy chain them, keep the sub signal mono.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It might come down to where they are and other such info. Daisy chaining then may delay the 2nd sub compared to the first, this could be good or bad. If you have the cables I'd try them both ways.

KozmoNaut

You would need a ridiculously long cable for there to be any delay worth mentioning.

OP
P

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor
I guess this is my follow up question: Are left and right low frequencies identical? And is there a cutoff point? For example (and this is somewhat arbitrary): Are left and right distinct above 60 hz and essentially mono under 60 hz?

KozmoNaut

I guess this is my follow up question: Are left and right low frequencies identical? And is there a cutoff point? For example (and this is somewhat arbitrary): Are left and right distinct above 60 hz and essentially mono under 60 hz?

Generally speaking, it is extremely hard or impossible to determine the of direction frequencies below 100Hz or so come from, so it is a common recommendation to run even multiple subs in mono, to best integrate with the room.

OP
P

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor
Thanks KozmoNaut, that makes sense.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What DSP?
The DSP that I assume is in the sub. If the sub is all analogue then there won't be any. Stereo is going into the sub, mono is going out to the next sub, something handles that.

KozmoNaut

As far as I can tell, it's completely analogue, and Adam Audio wouldn't advise you to daisy chain if that would result in delays between the subs.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as I can tell, it's completely analogue, and Adam Audio wouldn't advise you to daisy chain if that would result in delays between the subs.
What I wrote before was backwards to what I meant, which is that if the 2nd sub uses DSP, as lots do, it will delay itself compared to the first sub. Of course analogue avoids these problems completely.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Generally speaking, it is extremely hard or impossible to determine the of direction frequencies below 100Hz or so come from, so it is a common recommendation to run even multiple subs in mono, to best integrate with the room.

I bought a second JBL sub and plan on experimenting with both mono and stereo set up. No harm in trying both and there are folks who make the stereo case in some circumstances.

Top Bottom